technology Using A Handheld Gaming Platform As A Mobile Device?

Denim&Venöm

So if you're like me, you primarily use your mobile device/ smart phone for it's web browsing functions, and not really as a cell phone. Checking emails, watching videos, checking in on social media feeds, and browsing forums like this one. 

So after watching a few tech videos, I learned that the 3DS and the PS Vita both support web browsers. So maybe instead of using a phone for web browsing, why not use a portable game console for that purpose. The gaming function would get more use than the cell phone function seems to, and the powerful hardware needed to run game graphics and functions should make browsing a breeze. 

Would you be open to using a 'Smart Game' as a go to mobile device? 

Honestly I think it's more hassle than it's worth. Sometimes it's just nice to have a handheld dedicated to games

also the 3DS/Vita browsers are pretty shit

• Brohoof 5

Nah, from my experience, trying to use handhelds to browse the internet isn't really that great.

I already have a computer and a phone that I can use the internet on, I don't see why I need to use a handheld game system to do so.

I can't really see the value in being able to browse the web from a portable game console. I did when I was akid because smartphones weren't a thing. I got my wish with the DSi browser and it was terrible. It's surprising to me that the web browsers on our phones work as well as they do; the web is a bloated behemoth of a platform that shows no signs of slimming down.

Why use a video game console for that when I already have my phone? My phone is already everywhere with me, I don't need to have to bring another device for that purpose.

• Brohoof 1

• 6 years later...

Might as well get a laptop for gaming at that point. Put it on "Gaming" or "Performance" mode for gaming sessions and turn it off for anything else. Maybe turn off the RGB lighting if it's distracting, as it can easily be tweaked to off or to a neutral color like white.

Those tiny screens at those resolutions seems uncomfortable for general web browsing, even with stuff like the Steam Deck, Asus ROG Ally, and Lenovo Legion Go nowadays. Lack of keyboard also, an onscreen keyboard on anything beyond a phone is awkward to use. Speaking of which, phones will also be fine at light gaming and exceed in web browsing and all of that. (There's even phones dedicated to more extreme gaming.)

There's also the issue of those browsers not being updated for the modern web. Websites will not load properly or break due to standards and tech used for the websites changing over time.

I'm sure it's fun to try and experiment with but it's not worth the headache to use on a daily. It's one of the few things that it should be used for it's intended purpose: gaming, as they're all very good at doing that task.

There's phones dedicated to gaming anyways and those are quite powerful as handheld gaming devices. You can do the exact same things but it's more ergonomic and up to date with everything.