Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are you a brony?

Blue Storm

I'm a brony not only because my fellow brony friend got me into it, but also because:

1. the fandom is amazing, everyone is so nice and we all love one another

2. the characters are relatable and I see myself in each of them

3. the songs, writing, casting, and stories in each episode are so well done

4. the ponies of course!

5. It makes me feel like I matter before MLP I was depressed and often sad with my life and how it was going, since MLP appeared, I've grown a better purpose in life.

I just like the show. Characters, Songs, Story and so on^^ I really go so far that my desktop-background is from MLP, some page from my PS Vita as background MLP, even a dynamic PS3-Theme :D

Also I have a shirt...and yeah, I wearing it outside too^^

Because the show's fanbase is a massive fame opportunity bandwagon.

Seriously, though. XD I'm a Brony because :

• The show is well written and better than your average cartoon.
  • The community is caring and accepting.
  • I LOVE the fandom's creativity.

Why am i a brony?

1. i love the show and the morals it gives.

2. the inside jokes and references.

3. i love the company.

4. ive been a fan of cartoons since i was a kid.

5. i love the fanart and animations that come out of it.

6. it always makes me smile. :)

I think the real question is, "Why wouldn't I be?"

When I was little, I was obsessed with the older generations of MLP. When I got older, I left it alone until the summer of 2012 (Wow, was it really that long ago?) when a friend of mine confessed that she liked the show. (She's uninterested now...) I thought she meant the third generation, because I had no idea FiM existed... yet.

In February of 2013, I signed up for deviantART. First, it was just to do some Pokemon art. Later, I looked up "pony base" just for fun, and soon I was hooked on the artwork. Eventually, I recognized Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie in various pony artworks, and eventually learned about Fluttershy, Twilight Sparkle, and Applejack, too. When I saw Rarity, I thought for sure she was Sweetie Belle, until I finally went on to MLP Wiki and read all about it. The more I read, the more I wanted to see the show. I actually had to resist selecting it on our Netflix. I took the pony personality quiz on the wikia and got Rarity, and ever since then she's been my favorite.

A few days after I joined this forum, I confessed to my mother that I wanted to see the show. She gave me some really strange looks, but eventually let me watch it later that night. After the first two episodes, I was halfway hooked - not exactly impressed, but eager to see the rest. After the third episode, I couldn't stop thinking about it. My intended-Pokemon deviantART account turned into a pony art account. I introduced the series to my friends, and they got hooked, too.

So, here I am. Unfortunately, my sisters got hooked, too. To be perfectly honest, I wanted this to be special, to be my favorite TV show. I'm still holding fast to the hope that they'll someday get tired of it, just like my other friend who is no longer interested.

Edited by Lady~Rarity
  • Brohoof 2

I'm secretly 12 years old and love cartoons. To provide an actual answer, though, it's a fun, colorful cartoon with a lot of variety and all the fan content puts new spins on what I watch so it's usually pretty stimulating to be involved with.

1) Well-written, complex characters with believable strengths and flaws.

2) Interesting adventures and challenges.

3) Attractive animation.

4) A remarkable and amazingly creative fandom.

5) I was going through some rough times when I first found FiM, and being able to escape to Equestria really helped me there.

DINGDING!...The local Ranter-hater is weighing in!

Why am I a Brony? Tsk, I fear I fall into the group of late 20s and early 30 somethings that where raised on animation. If it wasn't Darkwing duck, Gargoyles or Transformers, it was Snow white and Bambi. I spent my youth living and breathing animation so much that I fell in love with it....typical story right? Weeeelllll......yah. My Mother also really REALLY wanted a Daughter, so she bought me for some reason G1 MLP instead of GI joes. I wasn't complaining I spent hours in the bathtube playing with the Sea ponies, I had the stable shaped carrying cases and even a string of Breezies. I really clung on to my Equine love into my more "manly" child years. I loved anything that was an animal that talked, or which become Anthro like figures. My teens where filled with the savage luster for anything "were-beast" to the point of writing fiction about things like Warhammer and the Skaven race!

But in my adulthood I have matured...ok not so much, I can pay bills and own a home but I still refuse to hide the series of "Rarity" and her cutie mark tattoos that cover my neck and left ear. Something resparked in me when G4 first aired. I had never lost my love for anthro-talking-animal...things. If anything the finding of Japanese anime and the modern gaming culture as a whole has only fueled it and refined my childhood passion into a fine adult daydream that when in off hours allowed to cultivate into fiction writing, pokemon raising, and of course MLP watching.

So If I must answer shortly, I would say I was Born to be a Brony. From birth playing with Chip and Dale dolls to teens lusting after Demona to adulthood finding the internet and a world of like minded people. I find its not so much me having a title of "brony" but more so that I am part of a CULTURE. One that has no real definition, its not a religion, not a government, not a cult or company, a army or organization. It really is a Culture, at least in my eyes, one that defines something primal in us. Something that says we are all special we all have our own "cutie marks" and damnit modern society wont stop me from looking for others. :shrug: But hey...it's jut a show for little girls, right?

The characters are generally well written and amusing, the art style is cute, and it's just some good old fashioned animation. 

Really I think it's the characters though.  The writing behind them is really simple but smart.  They hit that perfect note of nice and sweet but believable with just enough subtleties to make them unique.  The characters are not super jaded and cynical and angsty, but they're not sickly sweet airheads either.  With a few exceptions, they're generally very nice but have flaws.  The characters are written in ways that make them believable, interesting, and grounded. 

And I think this applies to the world they exist in too.  It's a better place than ours but is not a utopia.  It's a very nice place but is still a place where things can go wrong.  And again, even though it's a place where things are much sweeter and more optimistic than they are here, it's still a place where sarcasm and even a *tiny* bit of cynicism can exist. 

Perfect example of this is in Hearts and Hooves Day, when the CMC first see Bic Mac and Cheerilee get all lovey dovey with each other.  Instead of finding it cute (which is what might have happened in other girls shows) they are *totally disgusted by it*, mimicking our own reaction.  Other examples are the psychotic breaks by ponies like Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie, which are disturbing and creepy *and intentionally so*.  The show is cute and lighthearted, but with that ever so slight devilish side to it that just hits the right note.  It has a sweet and gentle tone, but is very aware of that sweet and gentle tone and knows how to play with it and even invert it at times.  That's why you have fan favorite episodes like Lesson Zero. 

Yes, it's a cute, girly show- but it's a *smart* cute girly show that knows how cute and girly it is, plays around with your expectations, and sometimes outright pulls a fast one on you.