Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pinkie Pie's intelligence low?

Grumpy Enchantress

I wouldn't say she's stupid. I mean sure she can show lack of intelligence at times but... Stupid is such a strong word. Pinkie is just being Pinkie. A kyperactive party pony! Hyperactive as in... Crazy, fun, and super hyper. If Pinkie was my friend irl I would hit her with a bus. I dont really like hyperactive people. :P

• 1 year later...

My answer? A resounding NO. She's shown to know things that Twilight didn't know, even with how long she's had her nose in a book (coughallherlifecough), like the Mirror pool, or the parasprites. Both something Twilight has no idea of, and no answer for. In EQG: Rainbow Rocks, when the rest of the mane 5 (Spike included), seem to be confused about Twilight's explanation of the magical science of the interdimensional mirror Twilight constructed in a mere instant, Pinkie's the only one who knows exactly what Twilight's talking about, and re-conveys it to her friends in simpler terms. There's also the fact that Pinkie is more extraordinary than most earth ponies, or even Celestia for that matter! Where Celestia admits to not knowing much about the mirror world, Pinkie has been shown to know more than Celestia on that level; knowing what events are going on in the other world, and what characters they're happening to, at any given time, to describe them in detail to her friends, with 100% accuracy. And as an Earth pony, being a race who can most easily manipulate the earth, it seems that only Pinkie has the knowledge to manipulate factors and forces that manipulate the earth- such as gravity (seen when she's climbing the walls, in “Filli Vanilli”, and where she's able to slow her descent before hitting the water, in front of Rainbow Dash, in “Too Many Pinkie Pies”). It's also very likely that she knows how to manipulate time, and perform feats of time-travel, to arrive at a destination before a fleeing friend, and predict the future with stunning accuracy; attributing it to her “Pinkie sense” (obviously just an above-average tier of Earth pony magic). Even Cranky, in “A friend in Deed” gives credit where credit is due, stating that Pinkie is smarter than she looks. (and acts)

There's a Simpsons theory that explains why the Simpsons are actually, in fact, geniuses, but choose to be seen as 'idiots', and focus on having fun, rather than putting their brains to better use, and I think this can also be seen in MLP. The theory takes Homer and Bart as primary examples, and compares them to more level-headed and smart/ nerdy Lisa. Basically, Homer and Bart's actions center more on happiness over intelligence because it gets them more friends, as opposed to Lisa, whose whole life is studying and being smart, and having no friends at all, and is ostracized because of it, and I can see that as well in Pinkie Pie, who can be be Bart to Twilight's Lisa. This is also seen in the very first episode of MLP, where Twilight's too hung up on studying to attend Moondancer's get together party, and she has no friends because she'd rather be a studious 'egghead'; even going so far as thinking that “the fate of Equestria doesn't rest on her making friends”. (and it actually takes Spike to push her into giving it a try- note how the first pony Twilight is pushed into becoming friends with is Pinkie, of all ponies)

• Brohoof 3

Pinkie is not an idiot. I actually think she is way smarter than everyone thinks, possibly as smart as Twilight. She was the only pony to know how to deal with the parasprites, she knows how to practically bend reality, and she can predict when something falls on your head. She probably sometimes acts stupid as an act.

• Brohoof 1

I like the idea of Pinkie Pie being intelligent. I don't think she's a genius either, but she's certainly not idiot.

Actually I'd say she's quick-witted.

I don't think Pinkie is stupid.  I think she has some warped kind of intelligence.  On one hoof, she forgot her own birthday.  On the other hoof, she knows the names, ages, favorite colors and a bunch of other stuff about everypony in Ponyville (1000 ponies a least).  Also, remember how she was able to follow along with Twilight's  science babel in Rainbow Rocks?  I don't think she's stupid.  I just think she sees things differently then everypony else does.  Maybe she's autistic or something (like Maud).  IDK!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Serenade

Pinkie Pie may not display stereotypical signs of someone intelligent, (introverted, book obsessed, always uses logic, etc) but she is a genius. In fact, on IQ level, I put Pinkie Pie as having the highest IQ of the Mane Six. (That is just a head canon, though) Pinkie Pie may be random, but even Twilight says that she's a genius. Twilight Sparkle, the pony who is always considered the smart one, calls Pinkie Pie a genius, and based on her tone, she's not saying it sarcastically. 

There is a common headcanon that Pinkie Pie is autistic. I used to think that was crazy, but it does explain Pinkie Pie. She may be literal. She may do things that are not accepted in society. She may have difficulty reading others. She does, however, prove to be highly intelligent. I will go with PDD-NOS or Asperger's if you ask me.

I used to think Pinkie Pie was stupid. I don't blame the new bronies who started on season 4 because for the most part, she was poorly written. If you pay more attention to her character, though, she is brighter than she looks. 

Imagine you are in school, and there is a bubbly blonde girl in your school who is always out partying and laughs easily. If you are the average person, you may see her as a ditz who makes poor grades. Then, during class, a teacher or professor (depending on what kind of school you're imagining) is explaining something difficult which confuses everyone except the blonde girl. She decides to go up front and explain it in an easy to understand way. 

You know, if you ever see a girl like that, especially if she dyed her hair pink, you should try to get her to watch My Little Pony and start calling her Pinkie Pie. :P 

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure if I'd agree with her being THAT intelligent, but she has shown herself to be quite clever and definitely smarter than some people give her credit for.

Plus she seems to have less prolbelms with overthinking complicated solutions to difficult problem. ;)

• Brohoof 1

She has her intelligent moments but at heart is a lovable idiot like many characterss ( Spongebob , chowder , the Ed from Ed edd and eddy and the the Ed rom the lion King , Kenny and Butters and of coarse derpy ) in short shes a moron but a awesome moron .

This lists Howard Gardner's 9 types of intelligence: http://skyview.vansd.org/lschmidt/Projects/The%20Nine%20Types%20of%20Intelligence.htm

From what I can tell, Pinkie Pie has good, even exceptional bodily-kinetic, linguistic, intra-personal, and spatial intelligence.

She is however lacking in traditionally recognized forms of intelligence like logistical for example

Pinkie Pie has a different kind of intelligence, albeit an unconventional one. She is able to figure out somethings ahead of Twilight such as in Rainbow Rocks for example concerning the issues of reopening the portal, and somehow she was able to understand Twilight's technical jargon while the other four kind of drew blank stares as far as reactions go.

Far from it, Actually I would consider Pinkie to be one of those eccentric Geniuses. She has eidedic memory, she is the one who pointed out to Twilight that she could perform interdemensional travel to the human world without need of waiting on a moon and was the one to explain how the device worked to the others where Twilight was unable to, Understands magics and can perform feats that boggles the minds of other magical ponies, and has developed an entire persona dedicated to the purpose of bringing laughter and happiness to others when she herself has a hard time doing that on her own, along with a slew of other things. She gets caught up in her own head and can seem very absent minded and oblivious, but that hardly means she lacks intelligence. 

She's kinda like Robin Williams was in the Movie Flubber, He was an undeniable genius but at the same time him getting lost in trains of thought ended up hurting those he loved and made him seem like a dunderhead in some scenes. 

• Brohoof 6

Far from it, Actually I would consider Pinkie to be one of those eccentric Geniuses. She has eidedic memory, she is the one who pointed out to Twilight that she could perform interdemensional travel to the human world without need of waiting on a moon and was the one to explain how the device worked to the others where Twilight was unable to, Understands magics and can perform feats that boggles the minds of other magical ponies, and has developed an entire persona dedicated to the purpose of bringing laughter and happiness to others when she herself has a hard time doing that on her own, along with a slew of other things. She gets caught up in her own head and can seem very absent minded and oblivious, but that hardly means she lacks intelligence. 

She's kinda like Robin Williams was in the Movie Flubber, He was an undeniable genius but at the same time him getting lost in trains of thought ended up hurting those he loved and made him seem like a dunderhead in some scenes. 

I have to go with this as well, Pinkie may appear as if she is oblivious, but against parasprites she knew more about them than Fluttershy did. And was able to get rid of them with no problem.

• Brohoof 1

Well all of the Mane Six have some degree of mental disorder. This is particularly evident when experiencing Cutie-Mark Failure Insanity Syndrome or CMFIS. When Rarity felt that she had failed in spreading beauty to the world through the gifts of her talents in "Suited for Success," she went into self-exile. When Applejack placed her honor on the duty to do all of the season's apple bucking, she became obsessive to the point of self-denial. And we all know what happened to Twilight when she was unable to prove she was learning a lesson about friendship. My point is even the otherwise mentally sound members of the Six are not all right in the head.

There is one thing about Pinkie that's often overlooked, which is ironically fitting. Pinkie Pie has eidetic memory, she retains everything she sees! It's how she remembers Matilda's birthday to the hour when it's a year away. 

This is also coupled with being naturally observant, picking up on things others miss.

Now what Pinkie lacks, is the ability to recognize social context and cues. I'm sure more than a few of us can relate due to one crossed synapse or another that we have as part of a condition. So she can come off as dense and clueless, but that's not because she's unintelligent. Pinkie just has a ludicrously higher EQ than an IQ. 

• Brohoof 1

Well all of the Mane Six have some degree of mental disorder. This is particularly evident when experiencing Cutie-Mark Failure Insanity Syndrome or CMFIS. When Rarity felt that she had failed in spreading beauty to the world through the gifts of her talents in "Suited for Success," she went into self-exile. When Applejack placed her honor on the duty to do all of the season's apple bucking, she became obsessive to the point of self-denial. And we all know what happened to Twilight when she was unable to prove she was learning a lesson about friendship. My point is even the otherwise mentally sound members of the Six are not all right in the head.

There is one thing about Pinkie that's often overlooked, which is ironically fitting. Pinkie Pie has eidetic memory, she retains everything she sees! It's how she remembers Matilda's birthday to the hour when it's a year away. 

This is also coupled with being naturally observant, picking up on things others miss.

Now what Pinkie lacks, is the ability to recognize social context and cues. I'm sure more than a few of us can relate due to one crossed synapse or another that we have as part of a condition. So she can come off as dense and clueless, but that's not because she's unintelligent. Pinkie just has a ludicrously higher EQ than an IQ. 

I don't know about that, but they don't show any sign of it. I'd put that as a theory at best. 

I don't know about that, but they don't show any sign of it. I'd put that as a theory at best. 

It's not my theory though, CMFIS has been tossed around the fandom since season 1. All of the Mane Six have been diagnosed many times informally by fans with one form of mental hangup or another and there are plenty of signs of such.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/06/pony-psychological-character-analysis.html

http://ponypsychology.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ5hdvbXfIo

This isn't meant to be a negative aspect of their characters, just a part of them. These can be negative if expressed in unconstructive ways but this is what most people have to go through. We all have our own mental quirks that we have to work with or through in order to be the best we can be. I think it's part of what makes the Mane Six interesting characters.

IMO, Pinkie is the archetypal "Idiot Savant"  Usually, the accent is on the "idiot" but she sometimes figures things out before Twilight does (in Luna Eclipsed, for instance).  It's not lack of wit, it's lack of interest that makes her appear foolish. 

I would say she is like the old Beatles song "The Fool on the Hill" but if she is ever perfectly still, bury her -she's dead.

Edited by sweetolebob18

My feeling is that Pinkie is actually very intelligent, but has a slightly strange world view. She clearly has a great deal of analytical intelligence and a capacious memory, she just doesn't choose to use them pursuing academic pursuits like Twilight does.

• Brohoof 3