Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pinkie Pie's intelligence low?

Grumpy Enchantress

Pinkie is an eccentric genius.  Unfortunately, it is very easy and tempting for the writers to forget that and sort of accidentally write her as just being dumb comic relief.  I think they have slipped a bit more in season 4 and forgot her true character.  I think she was portrayed better overall in seasons 1 and 2.  I'm not one of these "the-show-has-jumped-the-shark" bronies, not at all.  But I think the writers need to be careful with Pinkie.  She was perfect in Pinkie Apple Pie, though.  That's the eccentric genius I love.

• Brohoof 2

I think Pinkie is smarter than she lets on. I think she has a high intelligence but spends so much time on her silly antics that her knowledge isn't really explored. She does happen to be extremely good at finding books in a library (although that isn't knowledge and luck helps with a lot of that) and I think and hope there will be an episode where she will be really smart and shock Twilight and the rest of the cast with her smarts. Oh, wait, she already did that in Equestria Girls. Well, I hope she does it again.

• Brohoof 1

If you mean stupid by introvert-extrovert standards, then it's pretty stereotypical. Pinkie is innocent, spontaneous, very extroverted, not stupid. She's my second best favorite because of her attitude towards friends,life, being so open to everyone and sharing her laughter and happiness with everyone.

,,When you realize how perfect everything is, you will tilt your head back and just laugh at the sky." - Buddha (just to seem fancy and smart) :pinkie:

(edited)

I like that this thread exists, and this one does too!

playing an instrument is said to improve grey matter and she can play 10 at once XD

From my answer in that other thread...

post-30326-0-59570100-1424710825_thumb.png

post-30326-0-87790500-1424710833_thumb.png

post-30326-0-91265100-1424710840_thumb.png

post-30326-0-83717800-1424710845_thumb.png

post-30326-0-33218500-1424710850_thumb.png

post-30326-0-93867800-1424710862_thumb.png

Pinkie looks absolutely gorgeous in the organ picture.

Edited by Vital Spark

Pinkie is far from stupid.  Labile, impulsive, and excitable - but not stupid.  I see Pinkie as being intuitive rather than "clever."  (Did you know that clever was a word first used to describe horses who were dextrous - especially on the forehand?)  Pinkie is impulsive and reactive.  This is often seen by people as stupidity.  But it isn't.  It's just different.  Pinkie has the sense to know that fear is the the only thing to fear.  And Pinkie isn't afraid to be who she is - inside and out.  And wasn't it Pinkie who knew what to do about the parasprites?  Pinkie is goofy and over the top, so people tend not to take her seriously.  She's an ebullient Luna Lovegood, my second favorite Harry Potter character.  (Snape is my favorite - another misunderstood person.)  

• Brohoof 2

• 5 months later...

There are different kinds of intelligence. Pinkie Pie comes across as unintelligent because often she's in her own world, or being impulsive. There's a huge depth to her character - most of her outward behaviour seems to involve an inward struggle, there's a lot going on in that pink mind.

She has her intelligent moments but at heart is a lovable idiot like many characterss ( Spongebob , chowder , the Ed from Ed edd and eddy and the the Ed rom the lion King , Kenny and Butters and of coarse derpy ) in short shes a moron but a awesome moron .

she's hardly an idiot. Twilight, the suppsed smartst character in the show, has said that Pinkie was a genius at least on 3 occasion (Rainbow Rocks, Luna Eclipsed, and It's about time). She as come up with solutions when the ther ponies were at a loss on what to do (Swarm of the century)

She has her intelligent moments but at heart is a lovable idiot like many characterss ( Spongebob , chowder , the Ed from Ed edd and eddy and the the Ed rom the lion King , Kenny and Butters and of coarse derpy ) in short shes a moron but a awesome moron .

she's hardly an idiot. Twilight, the suppsed smartst character in the show, has said that Pinkie was a genius at least on 3 occasion (Rainbow Rocks, Luna Eclipsed, and It's about time). She as come up with solutions when the ther ponies were at a loss on what to do (Swarm of the century)
  • Brohoof 1

Pinkie has a lack of control over herself and how she acts, but that doesn't mean she's not intelligent. Pinkie's a whiz at reading people, that's superior intellect if I've ever seen it. There also seems to be no bounds as to what the pink horse knows and what she can do.

• Brohoof 2

There have been many instances where I have pondered what qualifies as intelligence. I have come to the conclusion that most of the world's population are intelligent, because intelligence is not one definitive thing. It can be a capacity for logic; creativity; kinesthetics; emotions; communication; music; memory; etc....

In this sense, I believe Pinkie Pie to be one of the most intelligent characters on the show in regards to kinesthetic intelligence. That is, one that is acutely aware of their bodies and how to manipulate it, along with the ability to handle objects with skillful coordination. 

• Brohoof 1

Pinkie Pie is certainly not stupid or "intelligence low" (as the topic gracefully asks). I'd argue that she above average in intelligence. One post on this site I remember that says it perfectly was "Pinkie Pie is one of the most intelligent ponies around, she just lacks the focus to use it properly"

And there was also another thread I posted on the different meanings of smart, intelligent, wise, etc. So it may be difficult to get good answers from people if you arent specific about the type of intelligence.

Edited by AppleJack_Wack
  • Brohoof 3

What? She's awesome.

I find issue with the assumption that if someone doesn't present themselves as book smart, then they're unintelligent. That's just not true. Pinkie has an excited/crazy attitude, which makes her character interesting. She also happens to have a lot of energy all the time. How does that make her unintelligent? It also depends on how you define "smart"..

I don't think she's unintelligent. She's shown many times that she is aware of things others are not and I believe she has constructed things herself before, like her flying, pedal-powered contraption. She may not be as smart as say, Twilight, but she is definitely not unintelligent. She may just be somewhat naive.

Of course not. Just because someone presents themselves differently doesn't mean they're stupid. It all depends on how you choose to defend 'smart,' whether emotionally, personality-wise, or mentally, she's pretty good.

She's honestly one of the smartest characters in the show, I mean:

• She found the elements of harmony book in seconds while Twilight couldn't find it [Elements of Harmony]
  • She built a flying contraption seemingly without a problem [Griffon the Brush-Off]
  • She knew how to get rid of the parasprites when no one else did [swarm of the Century]
  • She's shown to be talented in music such as playing several instruments at once (including a trombone separately) [swarm of the Century], piano [Castle Mane-ia], drums [Equestria Girls Rainbow Rocks] and even more.
  • She knew about the mirror pool and even had the words used to activate it memorized [Too Many Pinkie Pies]
  • She was the only one to guess the whole Twilight-Magic-Mirror-Another-Dimension thing [Equestria Girls]
  • She found out the real reason her and Rainbow were sent to Griffonstone [The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone]
  • And overall, she can think of ideas to problems right on the spot

And personality-wise, she knows how to use her charisma to her advantage and makes friends extremely easy. If she was dumb in that area she would never be able to make friends.

And there's way more examples; just because she doesn't act like Twilight or is constantly talking about books doesn't mean she's not intelligent/has low intelligence.

• Brohoof 4

She would be one of the smartest ponies around if they were real.

And also she would had suffered from something which caused a trauma in her childhood.

She's hiding something.

Too bad that it is, and always will be a show for kids, so we won't ever get any clue what happened. *sigh*

You have already seen she is not. 

It is true in some instances like MMmmmystery on Express Train or whatever it was called but one can't be smart in every avenue.

Edited by cider float

Intelligence isn't the issue, it's mainly sense with her nature to be oblivious to certain things or not thinking far ahead. Pinkie Pie at times is physically there but her mind can be somewhere else. She can be doing something else while the others try to be focused on a single task.

It's all in the moments.

Edited by Singe

She has insane inter-personal and musical intelligence and I'm guessing bodily-kinestic intelligence as well. People always just group intelligence into knowing lots of stuff about lots of things, but it's not. There are 8 types of intelligence, so people may be nature smart, but not math smart.

Edited by LHfunk