Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are Bronies the main reason why MLP is still running?

GXPBlast

Are Bronies The Reason Why MLP Is Running?  

212 users have voted

1. 1. Are Bronies The Reason Why MLP Is Running?

• Yes, bronies have been the main reason for the shows success
    • No, the show would have lasted just as long without the bronies

• 2 months later...

In my opinion, yes.

I think putting MLP:FIM on a "Preium Tier" cable channel would have done the show in had there not been the whole brony phenomenon. Hasbro probably would have pulled the plug after 2- MAYBE 3 seasons. The hub and its ratings still weren't doing so hot even with bronies around. Without bronies helping the ratings, and most definitely lining their pockets, I think Hasbro probably wouldn't consider it a worthy investment.

Think about it, The toy line has had it's roots dug in for over 3 decades already. I think it would have survived without the show.

After all, the the toy line did survive G3.5...So there's that :lol:

Nope, the My Little Pony brand has been around for decades without the help of bronies and it could easily stay that way. Pretty sure bronies aren't even the main demographic that buys the most of the brand and its merchandise. 

Not even close.  This show was made for young girls, and that's who most of the audience is, and they're the reason it's still on the air because they're the ones getting most of the toys.  Is there plenty of merchandise geared towards (and bought mostly by) older fans? Obviously, and probably more than there ever has been. But the big money maker is the stuff you see in the pink aisle, the brushables, the playsets, and the dolls. That's the whole reason the show was made, and the reason it is still on the air.  Bronies are a niche market, and I'd wager the amount of merchandise poured out is less to do with numbers of customers than disposable income (7 year old girls don't get paid very well, after all).

The fact that people other than children can enjoy the show doesn't negate the fact that it is a children's show.  And all of the dark, messed-up stuff we see pop up from time to time?  That kind of thing has been in many kids shows/movies for the longest time, adult fans or no.

Let's not think ourselves as something bigger than we really are, it's just not the case.

well if the brony population is at a current level of 24.5 Million as i have been informed and if that population is what? 2.2231222342212211% of the human population and there is roughly 80 million other people (4.1342412421313% Maybe) that watch the show as i have been informed. us bronys are not the only reason MLP is still up and running. but if 4.5 million of the brony pop are buying merchandise, and 3.8 million of the other people buy merch than it tips a bit, so we are indeed a factor but no. we are indeed not the only reason. as i said other people i meant ones that do not truly consider themself bronys. We are a factor that is true BUT! We are only a small part of it there is around 6% of the human race watching MLP, and you know what? i don't even know why i know some of this statistics. it is just sad that i know that.

So your answer

Yes>No=Incorrect (I'm sorry that's just a very bad joke i don't even get it) No we are not the tipping factor. (Gigity Nuff said)

also 42.7% of statistics are made up on the spot.

but no we are not the reason the rope is taught we are just a single weight on it.

(Metaphor)

@, @@zombienixon, @, All three of you completely underestimate the power of the brony fandom.

During the fourth season, there was a spike in viewership, especially Twilight's Kingdom. The premiere and finale are among the top-viewed episodes. Twilight's Kingdom's average was around 733,000 (788,000 for Part 2), making it The Hub's most watched episode. In fact, over half the episodes had over half a million of people.

the My Little Pony brand has been around for decades without the help of bronies and it could easily stay that way.

Even though My Little Pony was a twenty-five-year-old brand, to claim it would've been around without the surge of bronies is showing naivety. After MLP and Friends, Tales injured its reputation thanks to its overly cynical themes and embracing of cruelty. G2 barely got off the ground thanks to little promotion.

And, of course, G3. Prior to FIM, MLP became a laughingstock thanks to G3, and for good reason. G3 is factually bad, and the poor quality of G3 killed its reputation. No amount of defense will ever change that. Then G3.5/Newborn Cuties worsened its reputation even further. In order to make money very cheaply, Hasbro really cut down on the budget and produced MLP's worst product, both as a toy and animation.

Back when FIM was still new, The Hub was a very niche network. One that was very hard to get and one that was relatively unknown. One of the biggest reasons the fanbase exponentially grew is because people kept advertising it through social media. But it wasn't without apprehension, and for good reason; G3 and G3.5 badly damaged the franchise to the point of near death. But they saw it and liked it, blowing expectations out of the water. When others asked about it, people said it was really good and recommended it. So people got to try it out.

At this point, MLP is one of Hasbro's most successful franchises. In 2013, it gathered about $650 million, and EQG was the top-selling fashion doll. It was successful when it started, but the audience was much smaller, and you could argue that if they didn't get a surge of viewers, FIM might've been canceled after one season. Without viewers, no one would know the product, and no guardian would buy the merchandise. Even when Hasbro has fallen back on most of their other toy markets, the ones with a female-oriented market are among the strongest. The show wouldn't have grown without the high viewership, and older bronies (male, female — this includes you, me, and every brony in this topic) are a gigantic part of it.

This show was made for young girls, and that's who most of the audience is,

Wrong, and you made this same mistake that I called out too many times. As far as the first-party toys are concerned, they're marketed to girls, but the animation is very different. Unlike the sexist first-party market, FIM's animation is family-friendly. It's real market audience/target market is all ages. It's gender-neutral. It has a certain level of objectively good quality that respects kids and adults alike. Age, sex, or culture be damned. But FIM's true target audience is the guardians. If they can afford it, they can buy it, whether it's for their kids or themselves. Kids are never a target audience because they don't hold the income to buy them.

As a result, FIM is not a "children's show." To call it a "kids' show" is showing disrespect for the medium, the older audience, and especially the kids. A show that adopts the "children's show" label isn't a good show at all. FIM abandons the label and, to remind you and everyone here in this thread, reaches out to kids and adults equally.

Bronies are a niche market, and I'd wager the amount of merchandise poured out is less to do with numbers of customers than disposable income (7 year old girls don't get paid very well, after all).

The rest of your comment notwithstanding, older bronies aren't as much a niche a market as you think. Take a look at the recent advertising for season five. Part of the reason you see this is to acknowledge the coming of age for both the kids who started watching the program and older adults. Like what I wrote to Wheatley, FIM is a $650 million brand (and has many license deals, now including one with a huge nostalgia market), and G4 is planned to last five more years (the animated product — its most popular and critically successful part of the franchise — is unknown). Non-brony guardians aren't going to sustain a brand that large. You're going to need a much wider audience to generate mass profit. Bronies who are able to afford the products (both the first- and third-party) are next in line.

Because of this, it's really naïve for you three to dismiss the impact bronies have. Hell, you're bronies yourselves, so the fact that you talk about the franchise helps promote it. In reality, the the main market and older bronies are equally responsible. Without both markets, FIM would've been primarily a niche show with very little popularity. But the bronies themselves (older, younger, male, female, etc.) deserve a lot of credit for impacting the viewership growth. They advertised it on social media and bought the products, and it reached out to multiple demographics, including kids and parents who had no idea it even existed, and vice-versa.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

I concur with DQ here. If not for the adult fan base the show likely would have concluded with Season 3. We are a large piece to the success of the franchise. We have more disposable income than children (DQ address that as well by pointing out how guardians were a focus - thanks to Lauren Faust and her assembled team)

There is another aspect that some miss. My daughters are 13 and 14 now. They were closer to the toy demographic. They aged into the more fandom created content BEFORE I became a die hard fan. While a may be an outlier, I have a feeling that my kids evolving appreciation of the show is not an isolated event. Bronies that created PMV's, art, and forums continued their interest. Even if I didn't become a fan, I would still be financially supporting the franchise. Every dollar spent in this situation is due to the Brony fandom.

We aren't the only reason, but we are a major player in the continued success of the IP.

Also adding to what DQ said about how Bronies introduced the show to new audiences - I have several nieces and a nephew. Guess what they got from their uncle for the holiday?

:)

• Brohoof 2

No. Hasbro use it as a cash cow so it still runs. The main purpose of the show is to sell toys. Which is frustrating because merchandise can spoil franchises. Hasbro may have learned, if not. At least I get to know what will happen at the end of Season 5.

Sorry, but it IS a kids show.  It IS for little girls.  I think that one of Lauren Faust's reasons to do this show in the first place was to make a show for little girls that wasn't bland and saccharine, that they and their parents, and family can enjoy. Tell me, why can't little girls have good quality entertainment? Just because it's for young girls doesn't mean you can't like it, too. But, no, stuff made for children, and especially for girls can't be good, by definition it has to be crap, therefore any little girls show that's any good has to be 'all-ages' and 'gender-neutral'.

And while the quality of the shows were lacking compared to G4, G3 toys are a damn sight better in terms of quality. Do you even have any G3 toys?

Also, I am not a goddamned Brony.  Just liking the show, and MLP, doesn't make me one of you, no matter what you think.  Actually, one of the reasons I signed up here recently was to see if I could find some reason to like and stay in touch with this side of the fandom.  It's been hit and miss.

And I don't talk about the show to people who don't know about it already, because they wouldn't give a crap.

Do not look at me, I am to cheap to buy st.... Oh, my... A Celestial plushie!《purchases》Now where was I? Oh yes... I am to cheap to buy... Eh? Oh yeah... never mind me...

(Next purchase will be a Luna plush, I do not want Celest to be lonely)

To sum up:

It is partly based on sales, partly on ratings, partly on advertisers. Another words: buy, watch, sell, repeat

Sorry, but it IS a kids show.  It IS for little girls.  I think that one of Lauren Faust's reasons to do this show in the first place was to make a show for little girls that wasn't bland and saccharine, that they and their parents, and family can enjoy. Tell me, why can't little girls have good quality entertainment? Just because it's for young girls doesn't mean you can't like it, too. But, no, stuff made for children, and especially for girls can't be good, by definition it has to be crap, therefore any little girls show that's any good has to be 'all-ages' and 'gender-neutral'.

And while the quality of the shows were lacking compared to G4, G3 toys are a damn sight better in terms of quality. Do you even have any G3 toys?

Also, I am not a goddamned Brony.  Just liking the show, and MLP, doesn't make me one of you, no matter what you think.  Actually, one of the reasons I signed up here recently was to see if I could find some reason to like and stay in touch with this side of the fandom.  It's been hit and miss.

And I don't talk about the show to people who don't know about it already, because they wouldn't give a crap.

Hey, someone else who gets it! Even to the point of agreeing on the quality of G3 toys, amazing! But too much of the Brony side of the fandom completely shuts itself off from anything MLP that isn't related to FiM, that's why I think the Brony fandom will fizzle out once FiM ends.

If there's one thing I've noticed with MLP, it's that a lot of people really stick to one generation, and there aren't as many as you'd think that like all of it.  A lot of collectors prefer G1 to the rest, and the bulk of bronies you'll notice are unwilling to acknowledge anything before G4 (Although, I've noticed them give less crap to G1 recently, probably because they actually watched it).

You know what's funny about this? They're actually the reason I started liking previous gens of MLP, starting with G1 and then to G3.

But honestly, I'm kind of hoping that when G5 comes around, all of the creative talent that G4 brought out can be applied to it, so the inevitable tie-in show will be just as entertaining and likeable as FiM. I'm sure a bunch of people are going to lose interest, but that'll be their loss.

I wouldn't say that bronies and pegasisters are the reason that the show is still running.

Bronies and pegasisters are not the only audience. Young children watch it, too.

While bronies and pegasisters probably make up the majority of the audience, we're not the only ones.

Sorry, but it IS a kids show. It IS for little girls.

And here's where you're objectively wrong once more.

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is not a kids' show nor is it "for little girls," "for little boys," or "for little kids." Friendship Is Magic's animation is a family-family, all-ages, gender-neutral product designed to bridge gaps. It has very feminine qualities, but respects people as a whole. It doesn't treat the concept of femininity as something exclusively for women. Instead, these characters are full-fledged and can be role models across boundaries. Role models for girls, boys, kids, or adults.

FIM has extremely pro-feminist roots, as the main characters are empowering, unique, and individual. Every one of the Mane Six has extremely devoted, passionate fans, and they range from little kids to people older than @. In fact, its family-friendly roots date back to Bonnie Zacherle's vision when she founded the toyline.

It's not just girls that Faust wants or embraces as an audience, either. Here's her reply to a sexist comment on DeviantArt:

img-3371893-1-faust_defends_bronies.jpg

Tell me, why can't little girls have good quality entertainment? Just because it's for young girls doesn't mean you can't like it, too.

Correction, you tell me. Why can't kids enjoy a product that doesn't enforce sexist stereotypes that will turn off any self-respecting adult in the house? Just like boys, girls have as every right to enjoy good entertainment, but like boys or kids altogether, they won't get something good in quality if it markets and/or panders to them only. This problem already exists with boys such as modern Spongebob or Breadwinners, and girls have had it just as badly with MLP in between Pre-Tales G1 through FIM and Equestria Girls.

“A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest.”

—C.S. Lewis

“You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway.”

—Walt Disney

Also, to parrot from one of my critiques of FIM's toyline (linked down the page):

With exceptions that should be called out more, FIM's animated product appeals to everyone equally. Unisex. Gender-neutral. Family-friendly. Accessible for kids and adults. A blatantly pro-feminist show that empowers girls in order to empower boys with them. The concept that FIM is "for little girls" when it's factually wrong is inherently sexist in and of itself. The damning labeling of toys belonging to exclusive sexes is one reason why Toys R Us U.K. boldly eliminated labeling toys for specific genders.

By claiming FIM is "for little girls/boys/kids," you're parroting and enforcing a sexist and ageist barrier that segregates kids and adults. Any worthy product doesn't segregate adults from so-called "kids' shows." As the animation's and comic's market audience is exactly the same as the classics from Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar, FIM is about being inclusive to people and treating people period with respect through the medium. More importantly, a ton of subtext transcends the base demographic, providing deeper layers into the show than most past MLP content, as seen in dozens of threads here and analysis videos on YouTube.

As such, to claim FIM is "for girls" or "a kids' show" implicates how girls (and boys) don't deserve good content. Less of the excuse, the better the standards for high-quality family TV can be applied.

Even to the point of agreeing on the quality of G3 toys, amazing!

G3's toys may have a better build, but your build won't matter because the toys enforce sexist stereotypes and Hasbro treated it as something only girls will enjoy. Just like G4's toyline, G3's are an insult to girls. I don't need to buy a toy to know their implications simply by how Hasbro treats it.

Also, I am not a goddamned Brony. Just liking the show, and MLP, doesn't make me one of you, no matter what you think.

Are you a fan of FIM in some capacity? If the answer is yes, then you're a brony, even if you claim you're not, and no denials will ever change that. A brony isn't confined to just the show nor has to be so devoted to it. A brony can be a fan of any part of FIM. He or she can be a fan of just the comics, the toys, or any of the official third-party merchandise. Hell, a brony can be just a devoted a collector as pre-FIM MLP fans and couldn't care less about the show.

Why would you believe so? If they don't know about FIM, then not telling them won't help the brand one bit. In fact, you're stagnating it by refusing to acknowledge to them it exists. In order for FIM to succeed, people need to promote the brand. So, yes, Hasbro relies on people such as ourselves to recommend it and advertise it via word of mouth. You tell them it exists and explain what makes it good, and there's a chance they'll try it. And that's exactly what helped make FIM MLP's most successful generation.

that's why I think the Brony fandom will fizzle out once FiM ends.

Scrap that ridiculous idea, because that's not happening. Today, MLP is one of Hasbro's most successful IPs, and it's consistently stayed out of the red unlike the so-called "boy" products. During season four, viewership climbed, and Hasbro has agreed to new licenses. The one I linked previously, Pez, has an extremely devoted fandom itself dating back to the 1920s and constantly markets to people with nostalgia. Plus, the fifth season will begin sometime this spring, and FIM already has a high nostalgia value.

Also, like what I wrote above and previously, FIM wouldn't have grown so popular if it weren't for the fandom. Bronies like yourself, myself, and everyone else here should talk about FIM. By talking about it, we help grow the brand to other adults (maybe adults who are parents) and don't have to force Hasbro to spend millions of extra dollars on advertising. Older bronies have already impacted on the growth. $650 million in annual sales on a once niche brand isn't something to ignore. The profit has to come from somebody's pockets, and kids aren't them. I guarantee you and zombie above every one of us has contributed to the growth in some way, even if we don't know it.

The quantity of adult and kid bronies have exponentially grown since 10/10/10. Despite big hiccups, it hasn't let down. More than half of season four's episodes reached half a million views (not counting online streams from fansites). In general, bronies are a stubborn, passionate conglomerate fandom with the heart of a community. If Browncoats, Twihards, Potterheads, and BeatleManiacs (each as passionate as bronies) can stick around, so can bronies post-G4.

Previously, I said without the growth, FIM might've been canceled after season one or season two. More importantly, without the growth and all that revenue, then it's likely Hasbro wouldn't have green-lit the movie that will come out in 2017, much less think about planning one.

So will they watch G5? That depends. If G5 can improve on G4's problems and can be just as good, if not better, than FIM and respect the gender-neutral, family-friendly, and pro-feminist visions of FIM and MLP as a whole, then definitely. If it's good and respectful to the feminist roots of FIM and the Original Generation, the concept of being a brony won't be exclusively for Friendship Is Magic anymore, but also G5 and maybe future generations beyond. But if Hasbro makes the same mistake like they did when they threw away OG1's roots in favor of Tales, G3, or G3.5, then every bit of credibility MLP currently has will be wiped away, and it'll be My Little Laughingstock once more. If Hasbro wants that money, they won't let that happen again.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

Halfway so - I believe I read that we are still outnumbered by the younger demographics in terms of television audience. We may not be the main reason, but we certainly are a driving force in making it be the cash cow it is :D So yeahh - I think if we strip the brony viewership numbers entirely it would've ended after S3 most likely, but we still don't provide a majority of the viewership. It is just as dependent on the younger demographic, if not more so, than it is on us.

If there's one thing I've noticed with MLP, it's that a lot of people really stick to one generation, and there aren't as many as you'd think that like all of it.  A lot of collectors prefer G1 to the rest, and the bulk of bronies you'll notice are unwilling to acknowledge anything before G4 (Although, I've noticed them give less crap to G1 recently, probably because they actually watched it).

Oh, I know. Still there is quite a difference between the nature of the opinions of the general MLP grown-up fandom and that of Bronies. G1-G3 collectors often criticize G4 for the utter lack of variety in the toyline, whereas Bronies, too many of them are all like "Ew... The older generations are gross and girly". Maybe that has changed a little bit, but it was definitely the impression I had, having spent a few years among (but not within, I am not a Brony, Dark Qiviut) this fandom. I still definitely see members of this forum reacting to G3, like a vampire reacts to a cross/garlic.

I just don't see that level of irrational hatred and clamping down (from other generations) in the general MLP fandom. It's more "live and let live".

I think the show would have lasted just as much because it also inspired a large variety of merchandise and makes the profits it was intended to do. I honestly think the people responsible for show see the fandom as a nicely added bonus, if nothing else.

The original MLP originated back in 1984.

It has been running for 30 years. Nowhere in Equestria could this topic claim that Bronies are responsible for the series in general to run as long as it has been.

The target audience is always of course gonna be for kids and not for teens/adults such as myself and anybody else here.

It's always been a popular series from G1 to G4. G3-3.5 was their worst and should be ashamed and are even lucky that the series are even still running because of the horrifying things I've seen in those two, even small things can ruin it for someone. I don't care for past generations nor would I ever care because G4 is the best and will wonder what G5 would bring us years down the road if G5 was to be started.

Now, MLP:FIM is still around because of Hasbro's planning ahead of time. We are going to get more than just 4 seasons as it was confirmed for another 5 seasons was it? Though I question their plans because they will run out of ideas eventually and the fandom may die at one point, but not today :)

This show alone has made Hasbro a crap ton of money because of all the stuff we buy, this boosts Hasbro's business and will continue to produce until they don't need us anymore and then go off and do their own thing.