Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are Bronies the main reason why MLP is still running?

GXPBlast

Are Bronies The Reason Why MLP Is Running?  

212 users have voted

1. 1. Are Bronies The Reason Why MLP Is Running?

• Yes, bronies have been the main reason for the shows success
    • No, the show would have lasted just as long without the bronies

I think we are A reason, maybe even a big one, but far from the only one.

I think the OP may in part be confusing Hasbro for DHX. Hasbro didn't put in the drama or Derpy, DHX are the ones that realize what we like and try to sneak in jokes like that. Hasbro, in fact, acted against Derpy. I think we all can remember THAT episode in our short history!

Still, the fact is, Hasbro like any company, wants to cater to a market. If something is selling, they want to keep that trend going. So they've kept DHX on for more seasons because they recognize what they are doing is working.

We have more control over our money than a little kid has over their parents, so we buy more easily and readily. Not all of us are huge collectors, but even I bought a Derpy keychain.

So I think we've had a significant part in keeping it going, but more over, I think we've had a key part in keeping it's quality. With the gathering of such an audience, DHX set the bar pretty high. If they had failed and we never assembled, Hasbro would have sacked the team and put their own people to work and we would have just ended up with G3 all over again.

(I'm not trying to say "passion over profit" or anything like that. But I do recognize that not many people who Hasbro employs are artists, and being commanded to make something guaranteed to sell rather than being trusted to do your job only stifles creativity further. Big profits come from risks, and I think the risk Hasbro took has payed off for everyone.)

• Brohoof 1

FiM would have still been a good show if the bronies had not gotten into it. However, it most certainly would NOT exist the way that it does now if the show did not gain an adult following.

Take the following into consideration:

1. The majority of cartoons these days only have 65 episodes, and that's if the show is successful to children. If the show were a success to children, but the girl toy purchases had not continued to increase, the show would have remained at 65 episodes and our final episode would have been Twilight Sparkle becoming a princess. However, because MLP toy purchases were continuing to increase and the market has expanded and begun to include other kinds of merchandise, they felt it financially worthwhile to continue creating the show.

2. Just because Hasbro may not recognize bronies as being the main reason for their increase of MLP purchases, it doesn't mean that it's not the case. Because truth-be-told, is there really a way to know who exactly is purchasing the $5 brushables without looking up everyone's credit card information and doing background checks and Internet searches of every individual buying the toys? All Hasbro really knows is that there has been an increase in MLP purchases, and that girl toys are bigger than ever in their market, so they figure that if they continue down the same path that they have been going down, they will continue to be successful. Besides, they do not want to market the girls' toys specifically to bronies if it means that girls' parents will not buy them anymore, thus losing a fair share of their market/fanbase.

3. MLP toys have IMPROVED IN QUALITY ever since the bronies started complaining about stuff like Pinklestia and nightmare-inducing plushies. Girls like it when toys are show-accurate and they look good, believe it or not. But they don't have the voices to complain about that sort of thing. Parents do complain about stuff like that, but their voices don't tend to leave the Amazon review section - they are unlikely to complain about the toys on social media or write emails to Hasbro. And the toys' quality improvement is part of the reason for their growing success.

Because of these realities, I think that it's foolish to believe that bronies don't at least play a large part in the show's current success.

That pretty much sums is. We are not needed to make MLP FiM a success, but WE MADE IT even better. Let me add to your argument that, just the simple fact that a big number of adult dudes are into the show, it brings LOTS of attention

• Brohoof 2

I think half and half.... The show would've still run well anyways and little kids LOVE MLP trust me I know, many guys and/or girls, doesn't matter... BUT I have to admit the reason I'm a brony is thanks to a friend of mine that is a brony so when bronies bring people in to become bronies it really lifts up the ratings honestly so I'd say 50%

post-26202-0-34688700-1398484125.png

Edited by MarcelineA

(edited)

That pretty much sums is. We are not needed to make MLP FiM a success, but WE MADE IT even better. Let me add to your argument that, just the simple fact that a big number of adult dudes are into the show, it brings LOTS of attention

Yep and thats why Hot Topic dedicated a large section of the store full of MLP stuff for bronies. I have been going to Hot Topic for awhile and have yet to find a young kid there, mostly all teenagers and adults.

Edited by GXPBlast

Yep and thats why Hot Topic dedicated a large section of the store full of MLP stuff for bronies. I have been going to Hot Topic for awhile and have yet to find a young kid there, mostly all teenagers and adults.

Yeah, I was surprised to see all Hot Topic stores full of ponies when I went to the US this February 

I think bronies have made a direct impact, and their uproar of social media has brought the show more popularity from the general public than it ever would have gotten otherwise. Is it a main reason? I dunno, I don't feel I have a good enough view over the entire thing to place it on the scale accurately enough.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Longest running show? Nice haha! ^^

I don't think bronies are the main reason, but we are still a big percentage. It could probably still run without bronies.

(edited)

Longest running show? Nice haha! ^^

I don't think bronies are the main reason, but we are still a big percentage. It could probably still run without bronies.

Yep Hasbro is drowning in brony money lol.

Edited by GXPBlast

I've always wondered if the show would've ever made it this far and had so much development had the brony fanbase never founded. I think we at least have a role in ensuring the show's longevity and story/character development.

I have no doubt that the show would still be airing but it wouldn't even be close to what it is now. Season 4 would not have had that fight scene between Twilight and Tirek, I think that was pure Brony fan-service. We are definitely responsible for MLP being the show it is now but not for how long it's lasted.

(edited)

I have no doubt that the show would still be airing but it wouldn't even be close to what it is now. Season 4 would not have had that fight scene between Twilight and Tirek, I think that was pure Brony fan-service. We are definitely responsible for MLP being the show it is now but not for how long it's lasted.

The bronies have had a huge influence on how epic the show has turned out. I think even if the show did continue, it would be more to its original intended demographic meaning more girly and less mature.

Edited by GXPBlast

(edited)

Flutterbat was fanmade?

I would say the majority of the MLP audience and merchandise venue for Hasbro are Bronies.

If for some reason MLP did not gain such a large following as it does today and it only appealed to young children, would MLP suffer the same fate as previous generations before it?

It seems to be like other shows that have become so popular that their parent company has already paid for more season’s way into the future.

Despite not even being half way through Season 4 Hasbro has already confirmed that Season 5 will follow and Season 6 most likely will be purchased.

MLP's audience is so important that Hasbro has even catered the show to the Bronies to keep it running. In some episodes, MLP has introduced more drama, abit of violence, and even made side characters such as derpy more involved in the show. Also, MLP has even introduced fan made plots and characters such as flutterbat.

So do you think that the bronies are the main reasons why the show continues and that the younger audience originally targeted (young children) are the minority of the shows demographic? Also, if the brony fandom increases even more as it has done year by year, will MLP continue for many more years ?

UPDATE: Recent news has broke that MLP will being renewed for another five years. More about this news can be found here. Now do you belive bronies had something to do with it?

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/02/hasbro-investor-webcast-information-eqg.html

Eh, MLP Gen 1 cartoons had some dark material as well, even darker than Gen 4 in my opinion. I don't think the fights and violence can be attributed solely to brony desires that easily.

The show crew throws in many shoutouts to bronies, but the parents of the children who beg for the toys still seem to have a louder voice. They got Derpy's debut talking episode changed to be less offensive, and if I recall correctly she hasn't spoken since.  Hasbro has stated that the brony fandom was unexpected, but still not a huge part of the sales which are the main point of MLP, and since money talks, it's the children, and by extension their parents, who mainly keep the show running.

Bronies have definitely affected this generation of My Little Pony, but I'd hesitate that they are so key to its success that they are why the show is still running.

Also, there is no way that children are the minority of the show's demographic. How many bronies buy the toys, the books, the official plushies? Why are bronies always dissatisfied with Hasbro's offerings of merch ("Pink Celestia!" "Hair isn't show accurate!"), wouldn't Hasbro be on the ball changing these things if the voices of bronies were louder than those of kids who want to braid and brush plastic pink pony hair? And again to the Derpy example, why is Hasbro more willing to bend to the desires of a few offended parents instead of many upset bronies? Hasbro knows how to market their kid's stuff to adults, they've done it with Transformers, so why aren't they doing that with My Little Pony?

tl;dr Money talks, kids and their parents spend more money on MLP than bronies, otherwise Hasbro would be taking the franchise in a different direction.

Edited by nami438
  • Brohoof 2

As much as we say "if", "if" is always "if" and we'll never know for sure.

I would say yes, Bronies are a huge contributor to Hasbro's 5-year plan for the MLP franchise. The best proof I can find as to our fandom aiding the continuation of this show is the fact that "Magical Mystery Cure" did come off like a series finale at parts, but that was DHX and the writers leaving the possibility open before Hasbro had the final say.

For sure, a lot of this show would have been different if the fandom had not existed. We don't know for sure how many in the target/market audience would have watched this show. We don't know what it would have looked like or how successful it would have been without us.

I voted that the show would probably have ended given where Hasbro's priorities are. It's impossible to tell exactly how it would have gone or exactly how much ratings they would have gotten, but my best guess is that Hasbro would more likely play it safe and end it at 65 episodes to save money, have one full syndication package, and possibly try other shows in search of another smash hit.

• Brohoof 2

kids and their parents spend more money on MLP than bronies

lol seriously?

Think about what you just said for a few minutes.

Kids and their parents aren't usually made of money. Raising children is expensive and it's pretty safe to say that, in this economy, parents aren't exactly throwing their money at Hasbro so that their kids can collect everything MLP. Kids are fickle and their interests change, so the toys that they have vary in high amounts. As an example, I babysit the children who live two doors down from my parents. The older child is a 6 year old girl, and the parents do have money. She has soooooooo many toys. I mean way too many. If I were them I would throw away about 75% of those toys because they sit in the basement and collect dust. But that's not my business, I'm just trying to make a point that this kid has tons of toys. Of all the toys that she has, she has 1 MLP brushable, 1 McDonald's toy, and a set of little G3 figurines (kind of like the "blind bags" G4 has). That's IT.

But, bronies? Adult collectors? They likely don't have children. Either they are teenagers who make a little money and don't have to spend that money on bills or food, or they are adults, with no children, who are only really responsible for themselves. They can collect. Before I got married, I'm pretty sure that I have spent over $100 in brushables alone. The trading cards and the CCG, oh man, I'm kind of embarrassed about how much I have spent on those things. But it's a lot. The PVC figurines? I do not really buy the blind bags, but I have bought as many of the collections as I have seen in the stores. That's a good $50+.

And I'm one of those people who tries to be careful about not overspending, lol.

I know that not all bronies like to collect... but I'm fairly certain that out of all of us, there are hundreds of us who do.

If 100 bronies each bought 25 brushables, multiply 25 by 5, then by 100. That is $12,500 in revenue for Hasbro.

If 100 little girls each bought 3 brushables, multiply 3 by 5, then by 100. That is only $1500 in revenue for Hasbro.

Don't think that the number of bronies is comparable to the number of little girls who watch the show? Well, according to the Herd Census, "between 26.6 million and 34.9 million people with some sense of "broniness" in the United States." While I'd gauge that many of those millions of bronies might not be collectors, the ones who are make up for it. Not sure if there is a study about how many of them collect, but there may be.

Right now, in 2014, according to this: http://www.childstats.gov/americaschildren/tables/pop1.asp

There are 24.7 million children between the ages of 6 and 11 in the United States. If half of those children are girls, then you only get 12.35 million.

Therefore, if we can reasonably deduce that little girls do not collect as much MLP merch as a brony does, and if there are far fewer little girls than there are adults who identify as bronies, then this means that bronies make up a much larger market than people may think.

I am honestly surprised that there are so many people in this thread who do not think that bronies make that big of a difference when it comes to buying MLP merch. Having adults make up a fanbase for ANYTHING makes that product last longer than it would have if only kids were into the product. If you need proof, look at any other fandom of a children's product and find out that the ones with the large adult following are still ongoing, but the ones who do not have a large adult following have died.

lol seriously?

Think about what you just said for a few minutes.

Kids and their parents aren't usually made of money. Raising children is expensive and it's pretty safe to say that, in this economy, parents aren't exactly throwing their money at Hasbro so that their kids can collect everything MLP. Kids are fickle and their interests change, so the toys that they have vary in high amounts. As an example, I babysit the children who live two doors down from my parents. The older child is a 6 year old girl, and the parents do have money. She has soooooooo many toys. I mean way too many. If I were them I would throw away about 75% of those toys because they sit in the basement and collect dust. But that's not my business, I'm just trying to make a point that this kid has tons of toys. Of all the toys that she has, she has 1 MLP brushable, 1 McDonald's toy, and a set of little G3 figurines (kind of like the "blind bags" G4 has). That's IT.

But, bronies? Adult collectors? They likely don't have children. Either they are teenagers who make a little money and don't have to spend that money on bills or food, or they are adults, with no children, who are only really responsible for themselves. They can collect. Before I got married, I'm pretty sure that I have spent over $100 in brushables alone. The trading cards and the CCG, oh man, I'm kind of embarrassed about how much I have spent on those things. But it's a lot. The PVC figurines? I do not really buy the blind bags, but I have bought as many of the collections as I have seen in the stores. That's a good $50+.

And I'm one of those people who tries to be careful about not overspending, lol.

I know that not all bronies like to collect... but I'm fairly certain that out of all of us, there are hundreds of us who do.

If 100 bronies each bought 25 brushables, multiply 25 by 5, then by 100. That is $12,500 in revenue for Hasbro.

If 100 little girls each bought 3 brushables, multiply 3 by 5, then by 100. That is only $1500 in revenue for Hasbro.

Don't think that the number of bronies is comparable to the number of little girls who watch the show? Well, according to the Herd Census, "between 26.6 million and 34.9 million people with some sense of "broniness" in the United States." While I'd gauge that many of those millions of bronies might not be collectors, the ones who are make up for it. Not sure if there is a study about how many of them collect, but there may be.

Right now, in 2014, according to this: http://www.childstats.gov/americaschildren/tables/pop1.asp

There are 24.7 million children between the ages of 6 and 11 in the United States. If half of those children are girls, then you only get 12.35 million.

Therefore, if we can reasonably deduce that little girls do not collect as much MLP merch as a brony does, and if there are far fewer little girls than there are adults who identify as bronies, then this means that bronies make up a much larger market than people may think.

A couple of flaws there:  For one thing, the 26.6 milllion to 34.9 million range is for the absolute loosest possible definition of "brony".  a more accurate description would make it more like 7 to 12 million.  Secondly, according to the data, bronies tend to gravitate around 17-20 years old, an age group of generally very little disposable income. 

A couple of flaws there:  For one thing, the 26.6 milllion to 34.9 million range is for the absolute loosest possible definition of "brony".  a more accurate description would make it more like 7 to 12 million.  Secondly, according to the data, bronies tend to gravitate around 17-20 years old, an age group of generally very little disposable income. 

I'm 17, though, and you've seen my collection :D So that's not always true.

Anyway, I think so. The Hub doesn't have long running shows, as told by history, and werwe're a large fandom at the moment. We've played a large part in its success, no doubt, and since shows on the Hub are usually short lived, there's a high chance that we played a big part in the 5 year extension it just got :D

Well...isn't the views the main reason for every TV show going on? I mean sure, children would still be watching it, but I think the addition of bronies has made itmuch more successful and it may not have lasted as long without the success. Although that's my opinion, there isn't really any way to find out. :P

A couple of flaws there: For one thing, the 26.6 milllion to 34.9 million range is for the absolute loosest possible definition of "brony". a more accurate description would make it more like 7 to 12 million. Secondly, according to the data, bronies tend to gravitate around 17-20 years old, an age group of generally very little disposable income.

Fair enough.

Keep in mind, too, that not every single girl in 6-11 year old age is going to be into MLP enough to want any of the toys, either. Especially on the older end.

It doesn't help either side of the discussion, however, that we don't have strict percentages of MLP fans who are part of the target demographic, and who aren't.

But let's say that the numbers are the same - there are 8 million bronies, and 8 million little girls who have seen the show and like it enough to own some of the toys.

The first time I did the math, I chose 25 as my number of $5 brushables because that is about how many I have. I chose 3 for the girls number to equal the number of MLP toys total that the girl I babysit has (I am also pretty sure that I owned 2 ponies as a little girl).

I am still going to use a 100 person sample size for hardcore brony collector because I bet that if someone walked around BronyCon and asked a whole bunch of people if they have 25 brushables or more, or perhaps own the monetary equivalent of PVC figures, 100 might be a fair number.

I will use 500 girls, though, to assume that more of them generally own toys.

100 * 25 * 5 is still $12,500 in revenue.

500 * 3 * 5 is $7500, which is still lower than than the brony revenue.

But even if I changed that first number to 1000, sure that might make it spike to $15,000, remember that I am not trying to include the bronies who each one a smaller number of figurines, or the ones who prefer other kinds of merch, like plushies, trading cards, the Funko Pop figures, the vinyl figures, t-shirts, and all of the other pieces of merchandice that exist because of brony influence. They make a difference added up, too.

Another thing to ponder - even if it turned out that kids produced more revenue for Hasbro than bronies, keep in mind that that $12,500 from bronies could very well be $0.

That is still a significant dent in their revenue.

Bronies are still making Hasbro more money. I think we could talk until we are blue in the face about whether the money comes more from girls or from bronies. It just doesn't make sense to me when you look at the charts regarding significant growth in their girl toy market, how is it possible for little girls alone to cause that growth?

I am glad, though, that you have responded to my post with a logical explanation for the other side instead of basing your opinion on a hunch.

I would say as it is right now the show would be going on even with out the fandom but maybe by season 6-7 and up it will be running because of the fans. I don't know, thinking about the future of MLP kinda scares me. Like death.