Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are Bronies the main reason why MLP is still running?

GXPBlast

Are Bronies The Reason Why MLP Is Running?  

212 users have voted

1. 1. Are Bronies The Reason Why MLP Is Running?

• Yes, bronies have been the main reason for the shows success
    • No, the show would have lasted just as long without the bronies

I would say the majority of the MLP audience and merchandise venue for Hasbro are Bronies.

If for some reason MLP did not gain such a large following as it does today and it only appealed to young children, would MLP suffer the same fate as previous generations before it?

It seems to be like other shows that have become so popular that their parent company has already paid for more season’s way into the future.

Despite not even being half way through Season 4 Hasbro has already confirmed that Season 5 will follow and Season 6 most likely will be purchased.

MLP's audience is so important that Hasbro has even catered the show to the Bronies to keep it running. In some episodes, MLP has introduced more drama, abit of violence, and even made side characters such as derpy more involved in the show. Also, MLP has even introduced fan made plots and characters such as flutterbat.

So do you think that the bronies are the main reasons why the show continues and that the younger audience originally targeted (young children) are the minority of the shows demographic? Also, if the brony fandom increases even more as it has done year by year, will MLP continue for many more years ?

UPDATE: Recent news has broke that MLP will being renewed for another five years. More about this news can be found here. Now do you belive bronies had something to do with it?

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/02/hasbro-investor-webcast-information-eqg.html

Edited by furgrid
  • Brohoof 5

I'd say the animation and the writing are the main reason that the show is still going, but I think we contribute to the show in some way or fashion when it comes to buying the merchandise and still supporting the show even in the darkest of days.

But, the effort from the animation and writing staff are another example of the show's continuation. We contribute in some doses, but not entirely.

• Brohoof 3

We are a percentage of the viewers, but no. We aren't the reason why MLP is still running. When they make a contract with a TV company, they have to have a confirmed set of seasons for that show. I think most cases it's four, but it all depends on what the contract entails. 

Although the series may continue longer than what it initially planned, because we were never factored into the the viewers. Again it's for little girls yo.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think we're the reason the show is still running, but I do think we're the reason its gone where it has today. It's become a much more plot-heavy and character-centric show than it started out as, and while its held its traditional MLP ways, it's nevertheless changed in many ways for the sake of the bronies.

I think the show might still be going without us, but I think we're what gave them a reason to make it what it is today.

Of course we are. If there was no audience, there's no fans to buy the toys, which results in nada money. I don't like it, but bronies are the majority of the buyers of MLP merchandise, much more so than the actual demographic. I doubt Hasbro would have continued MLP had it not been for the huge amount of success it received due to a surprising amount of fans.

• Brohoof 1

I personally think we are a lot more then why the show continued. My Little Pony: friendship is magic was only supposed to have a couple seasons, and as you know My little pony is for selling toys as long as toys sell the show will continue. Bronies being adults adds something the table that they didn't have before. We have dispossable income to buy more then just a pony or two for a birthday party. We added to the merch with blind bags and bobble heads, comics and trading cards, the brushables toys have far more background characters then they ever would have for other gens. Also the plushies adding fan favorite ponies like Octavia and Vinyl Scratch. I have a Cheerilee plushie! As much a background pony as you can get. We have bought and payed for the show.

• Brohoof 2

I agree we help the show push forward as long as people are watching and buying towards the show they will continue to make it.

The writing is still fresh and they are keeping up with the times as in adding things like derpy cameos and references., that helps to continue give people a reason to watch.

We help but not main reason for the show continuing yet if they wish to go forward Hasbro must beware the dreaded shark.

Considering it's Hasbro, a company that's gone out of it's way to shut down brony projects, I'm not sure bronies are the reason it's still going. It's a large company that's got one major concern: Bottom line. As long as the show/merch sells, it'll keep going.

Granted, it's seems that some of the cast and crew enjoy the bronies in general, but ultimately they aren't the ones that decide whether the show continues production or airs. Ultimately, that's Hasbro's decision.

No, but bronies have without question had an influence on the show. Without bronies the show still might have had the same quality but there are a few directions it might not have gone in and would probably have fewer references and shout outs if any.

• Brohoof 3

Considering it's Hasbro, a company that's gone out of it's way NOT to shut down brony projects,

Fixed that for you. Hasbro's very lenient to out fanbase and that's a good thing as we make them very rich. No matter how many 4 yr old girls fans there are its always an older person actually PURCHASING their products. That can be a father or it can be a brony. But if its going through We Love Fine or Hot Topic then there's a 90% chance it's a brony. It's only when fans go above and beyond fair use of their trademarks do they get shut down and that's really only a very small percentage of our creations. If Hasbro had been the copyright protecting tyrant you claim our fanbase wouldn't currently exist in the same size (fimifiction, art, music, etc would have been shut down long ago).

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 5

Well on one hand yes. Bronies/pegasisters would be totally ticked if they ended MLP:FiM right now. But it said on Equestria Daily that there's about 5 more years of ponies! We have plenty more seasons to get through!

The reason why it's still going is pretty simple: It sells toys. If it didn't sell toys, it would not be still going. As for how much of that is due to Bronies, I have no idea.

This^^.

While the show itself is good, that wouldn't hold it up.

Whats keeping it alive is the sales of toys/merchandise. Be it to the older or younger fans it doesn't matter.

Fine example, just have a good look see at the Thunder cats reboot that was.. It was canceled before they even finished the story, not even allowed a mini movie to finish it, all because its TERRIBLE toy designs didn't sell. It had an excellent story, and IMO could've been named something else with different characters and been just as well off. But because it didn't sell bad toys, it wasn't worth keeping.

Hasbro is all about the toys though, if it doesn't sell, it doesn't last.

While I do believe the series is still around, due too, and most of its income is from the "brony" fandom, thats not how Hasbro sees it I'm sure. They only see the bottom line (cash) and the "intended" audience as possible reasons.  IIRC some of their people have even openly attacked (verbally) "bronies" just because its not meant for them.

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 1

No we only make up a small minority of viewers. There was a survey done that shows that we make up less than 5% of viewers. Which makes it all the more strange that Hasbro feel the need to cater for us. Remember Hasbro, stick with your core audience!

There was a survey done that shows that we make up less than 5% of viewers.

Somehow I doubt this is accurate. Unless done on an obscure web site where most had never heard of it (as most polls are)

My sister, who works for Hasbro in the UK, was asked to conduct this poll, so I'd say it's pretty accurate!

Actually.. that makes it sound less trustworthy being part of the company... It'd be in their favor with parents (or at least in their view. Older fans to a kids show = bad publicity in the eyes of the "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!" whacks) to have such a low number of older fans. They're also likely discounting anyone at certain age ranges and of certain genders. 

Not to mention the ability to poll minors would come to question heavily in this instance, and the high amount of "closet" bronies out there.

I get the fox news move feeling from it in that they were standing outside of a certain location to get certain results. Company funded research is always going to be skewed in their own favor. Vise versa would also exist though. But a non-corporate created poll is far more trustworthy.

Though I would be curious what the criteria was for the poll. Location of it, range, and content. 

If true, than the pandering to the "5%" thats been made of late, in both merchandise and show content, would seem a wasted purpose to the bottom line.

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 1