Gay ponies in equestria?

jaime_lion

img-2334613-1-397159__safe_rainbowdash_f

I would think they would be.

Took this off my profile btw. :3

images.jpeg

I don't think Hasbro would ever allow something like that. While many of us adults love the show it is primarily made for children. I personally would not want my 4 year old watching the show if it included sexuality. That topic is totally inappropriate for the demographic that the show is made for. Let the clop lovers have their fanfic but leave the purity of the original show and characters remain intact for those of us who like them that way ;-).

homosexuality =/= hardcore pony sex.

The show has already discussed heterosexual crushes and relationships many times. Rarity and Prince Blueblood, Hearts and Hooves Day, Twilight and Flash, The ROYAL WEDDING, the recent episode with Rarity's crush on that other stallion… whatever his name was, and more.

There's no reason why you can't have similar episodes involving two characters of the same sex, or merely have homosexual couples in the background.

What makes heterosexual romance acceptable for children, but not homosexual?

THIS THREAD JUST GOT SERIOUS. BYAQ6.gif

Edited by Hansel
  • Brohoof 7

Hmm, I think considering it is a show originally intended for children Hasbro will never blatantly broadcast a homosexual relationship. Sadly, although many people are very open to homosexuality and non judgmental there isn't a place for it in certain areas of the media, like children shows. In some ways it is still considered controversial. If there were a gay couple on the show they'd get plenty of complaints from parents.

Personally, I think it would be awesome c: But I doubt anything like this will happen soon.

As for the ponies acceptance; friendship, love, and acceptance are sort of themes of the show and I bet there wouldn't be anypony who was less than accepting.

Yet arbitrarily throwing in heterosexual couples is fine?

Well, it is safe. The creators would be taking a big chance in the loss of viewers if they featured anything else. Its not like the creators have anything against LGBT's

Well, it is safe. The creators would be taking a big chance in the loss of viewers if they featured anything else. Its not like the creators have anything against LGBT's

Oh, I'm aware of that. I'm just trying to point out that you wouldn't have to treat a homosexual couple any differently to a heterosexual couple.

• Brohoof 2

What I could see happening is having them including in a show about coexisting with ponies of other beliefs. But any way you slice it the majority of the world's population still finds homosexuality to be taboo and abnormal and therefore if they include something about it they are going to loose a percentage of the fan base. 

I do find it sad and dismaying that people are calling ponies of the Mane 6 homosexual etc....for example the thought that Pinkie (my fav) is of that persuasion simply because she's pink. I've also seen people who say Dashie is due to her rainbow mane/tail. I wish we could just leave MLP as the fun innocent show that it is and stop trying to label the Ponies according to our human labels, such as gender/race/mental situations etc... In the end the show is about friendship and having this kind of discussion just turns into arguments which breed the opposite of kindness and friendship.

• Brohoof 2

Yet arbitrarily throwing in heterosexual couples is fine?

No but that also doesn't happen much.

The heterosexual couples that have appeared have done so as a natural result of the writing. Some episode takes a romantic bent (Hearts & Hooves Day), couples are obviously needed to create the right atmosphere. Heterosexual is the more common form of couple so it defaults to that.

Realistically, homosexual couples are far more likely to appear simply as fanservice or because people start crying about equal representation or something (as if they're oppressed by a cartoon). It'd be the opposite equivalent of that whole Derpy scandal. Where she was removed due to cries and demands, these would be tacked on due to the same.

If the writers ever feel like taking on that particular challenge, good for them. But it should be natural and something they want to do, not "HERE'S SOME RANDOM GAY CHARACTERS BECAUSE EQUALITY/FANSERVICE!". The former would be an interesting obstacle to see tackled by the staff. The latter would be arbitrary and pointless.

I say let's not worry about sexuality in this kid-friendly show about brightly colored ponies, and enjoy it for what it is.

Edited by takai

If your talking about equestria and not the actual show (which is what I assume) then yes, I believe that it would be accepted, alot of humans accept it as the norm these days and ponies seem to be alot more loving and tolerating so, why not :P

I don't know man, remember Hearth's Warming Eve? It told a story that involved a norm of race-discrimination, just as it was back in the day in out own world. I don't see ponies as any different than humans when it comes to behavior. Hell, Ponyville's elementary school has more bullies than my High School.

img-2334613-1-397159__safe_rainbowdash_f

I would think they would be.

Took this off my profile btw. :3

>Shows Shining Armor X Big Macintosh.

>Shining Armor married to a female.

Don't make too many assumptions ya'll.

That would be an interesting breakthrough to behold.

But thanks to parents and Homophobes, that would be hard to pull off.

You know, not all parents are homophobes.

Edited by Modphase

I don't think Hasbro would ever allow something like that. While many of us adults love the show it is primarily made for children. I personally would not want my 4 year old watching the show if it included sexuality. That topic is totally inappropriate for the demographic that the show is made for. Let the clop lovers have their fanfic but leave the purity of the original show and characters remain intact for those of us who like them that way ;-).

We're not talking about full on gay sex, you don't see that kind of shit with straight people. We're talking about gay horses, horses who like other horses. Though, gay ponies can cause some controversy, so meh. But anyhow statistically speaking gay ponies should exist in Equestia. 

I bet my ass Luna and Celestia are pansexual... :lol:  They are so old they must have seem a lot of things, changes in culture, changes in social norms. They would look at ponies freaking out about some thing and just shrug.

Out of curiosity, why do people assume that ponies are more open minded about homosexuality? I'm all for believing Equestria is somehow a better place to live, but I don't see the hint for that in the show. Just because of the number of females? If that's the case, wouldn't male couples be frowned upon?

I think the ponies views about sexuality are probably just as varied as humans so there are some ponies who approved and some that don't. As to how many approve and how many don't and whether or not gay ponies are allowed to marry or adopt children is a bit hard to say.

No but that also doesn't happen much.

The heterosexual couples that have appeared have done so as a natural result of the writing. Some episode takes a romantic bent (Hearts & Hooves Day), couples are obviously needed to create the right atmosphere. Heterosexual is the more common form of couple so it defaults to that.

Realistically, homosexual couples are far more likely to appear simply as fanservice or because people start crying about equal representation or something (as if they're oppressed by a cartoon). It'd be the opposite equivalent of that whole Derpy scandal. Where she was removed due to cries and demands, these would be tacked on due to the same.

If the writers ever feel like taking on that particular challenge, good for them. But it should be natural and something they want to do, not "HERE'S SOME RANDOM GAY CHARACTERS BECAUSE EQUALITY/FANSERVICE!". The former would be an interesting obstacle to see tackled by the staff. The latter would be arbitrary and pointless.

You're just making assumptions. There's absolutely no reason why you can't have homosexual characters that are organic and well written.

Homosexual characters don't have to be there to prove to the audience that the writers are accepting, and shouldn't be any more of an "obstacle" then writing any other character. There are gay people in the real world, so it's entirely realistic for there to be three dimensional gay characters in MLP. Just like heterosexuality doesn't define heterosexual characters, homosexuality shouldn't define a homosexual character.

Edited by Hansel
  • Brohoof 1

Ponies can be racist (speciesist?), I don't think homophobia is past them.

I think if it were in the show, then yes, LGBT ponies would be accepted. I mean, the show has said to accept ponies for who they are, after all.

Remember Bridle Gossip?

Out of curiosity, why do people assume that ponies are more open minded about homosexuality? I'm all for believing Equestria is somehow a better place to live, but I don't see the hint for that in the show. Just because of the number of females? If that's the case, wouldn't male couples be frowned upon?

Many bronies tend to idealize Equestria, despite evidence to the contrary.

Edited by Static Electricity

Ponies can be racist (speciesist?), I don't think homophobia is past them.

Remember Bridle Gossip?

Many bronies tend to idealize Equestria, despite evidence to the contrary.

Yes, but they passed that.

You're just making assumptions. There's absolutely no reason why you can't have homosexual characters that are organic and well written.

Homosexual characters don't have to be there to prove to the audience that the writers are accepting, and shouldn't be any more of an "obstacle" then writing any other character. There are gay people in the real world, so it's entirely realistic for there to be three dimensional gay characters in MLP. Just like heterosexuality doesn't define heterosexual characters, homosexuality shouldn't define a homosexual character.

I never said you can't have homosexual characters that are organic and well written. I never said they can't be three-dimensional. You really love putting words in peoples' mouths.

What I did say is that it's very unlikely given the prevalent trend.

See, in reality, homosexuality is still largely a taboo. Most gay characters in media, therefore, don't bother with dimensions. Gay characters in media fit predominantly into a few categories:

- Fanservice

- Throwaway pandering toward the equality crowd

- Played for drama

-Played for comedy (usually camp)

- Juvenile gay jokes

Stacked against all of the above, the three-dimensional and well-written gay character is a relative rarity. Ergo, realistically, homosexuals are for more likely to appear in media as less than three-dimensional. This is a fact.

Not once did I say three-dimensional well-done gay characters cannot exist. I'm saying most that do exist, by virtue of homosexuality still largely being a taboo, are not three-dimensional or well-written. If the MLP writers can pull off that rare well-written gay character, good for them. But gay couples just randomly tossed into background scenes would qualify as nothing more than fanservice, and that should not happen.

Here's a question.

What would be the point for the writers to take the effort to make a difficult-to-write non-stereotypical gay character (Who will still obviously get flak) in a show that isn't even about sexuality and rarely has any sort of romance in it?