Why do some Bronies take FIM to the extreme?

Rarity Paige Belle

>Onions

Honestly, if you have money to burn, I can't see how it would hurt. I mean, having a large collection would look pretty impressive.

Yes well, some things aren't worth the money that they cost, and there is a point where one spends far too much on something that contributes so very little to their happiness. If you spend $50 for a blueray version of a movie you already have the normal $40 version of, or spend hundreds of dollars on a golden bathroom sink tap when you already had a much cheaper, perfectly functional non-golden tap, than that's being wasteful. It doesn't matter if you can afford it, the problem is you're spending stupidly large amounts of cash on things that have virtually zero positive impact on your life.

Think about people who legitimately need that money, and you're just wasting it on shit you could happily live without. We all need to be able to spend some money to enjoy life, but there is a point where, even if it won't seriously harm your bank account, that you're going too far. And if you can afford to spend hundreds or thousands regularly on useless shit, you should put a large amount of that to better use, do some good with it. If everyone shared this mindset the world would be better off. And this is coming from someone who wanted to be super rich as a kid until I learned how selfish and evil a desire that was.

I can't judge all bronies for how much they spend, but I will say that spending $500 on a plushie is a complete and utter waste of money, because 1. what the fuck are you even gonna do with it? And 2. I'm certain you could get a much cheaper one, like 30-50$, that's very good quality.  I mean surely the average plushie can't be so stupidly expensive. 

• Brohoof 2

Yes well, some things aren't worth the money that they cost, and there is a point where one spends far too much on something that contributes so very little to their happiness. If you spend $50 for a blueray version of a movie you already have the normal $40 version of, or spend hundreds of dollars on a golden bathroom sink tap when you already had a much cheaper, perfectly functional non-golden tap, than that's being wasteful. It doesn't matter if you can afford it, the problem is you're spending stupidly large amounts of cash on things that have virtually zero positive impact on your life.

Think about people who legitimately need that money, and you're just wasting it on shit you could happily live without. We all need to be able to spend some money to enjoy life, but there is a point where, even if it won't seriously harm your bank account, that you're going too far. And if you can afford to spend hundreds or thousands regularly on useless shit, you should put a large amount of that to better use, do some good with it. If everyone shared this mindset the world would be better off. And this is coming from someone who wanted to be super rich as a kid until I learned how selfish and evil a desire that was.

I can't judge all bronies for how much they spend, but I will say that spending $500 on a plushie is a complete and utter waste of money, because 1. what the fuck are you even gonna do with it? And 2. I'm certain you could get a much cheaper one, like 30-50$, that's very good quality.  I mean surely the average plushie can't be so stupidly expensive. 

Thank you for writing three paragraphs of information stating your opinions.

• Brohoof 1

Because MLP is love... MLP is life...

Well, what you described is not really so extreme. As everypony else says, that's what a fandom is supposed to do.... to be fans! If you're not going to do anything related to a certain thing ever, than what's the point of being a fan?

Thank you for writing three paragraphs of information stating your opinions.

So I take it you're the type of person who, if you won 90 billion in the lottery, would prefer to buy tons of expensive crap you don't need like a five mansions, ten cars, two helicopters, seven yachts and a golden, diamond encrusted automatic asswiper rather than donate almost all of it to charity?

• Brohoof 1

I like FIM a lot. For a cartoon made for girls it's very entertaining. However some of the things I've seen on the net take things a bit too far. It's one thing going to conventions (I also collect vinyl so I've been to a lot of fairs) but to listen to music about FIM and posting in depth reviews on YouTube about individual episodes? Is that not going too far?

When people love something they find Awesome they want to contribute to it and talk about it.  Music, art, reviews and conventions all become part of that.  The conventions are the best part of it all for me.  To be around and meet so many other people that have a similar interest as you is great.   

So I'll see Yall at Bronycon!!

• Brohoof 1

So I take it you're the type of person who, if you won 90 billion in the lottery, would prefer to buy tons of expensive crap you don't need like a five mansions, ten cars, two helicopters, seven yachts and a golden, diamond encrusted automatic asswiper rather than donate almost all of it to charity?

You could always donate half of it to charity, then live off the rest. 

On topic. I think people enjoy celebrating things they enjoy. I really love video games and have a passion for the medium so I have a room in my house dedicated to gaming with well over 1,000 items that range from Atari 2600 to PS3. I also have quite a lot of pony stuff because it's one of the few things I really like that has cheap and easily accessible merch. 

Edited by Shoboni

You always donate half of it to charity, then live off the rest. 

On topic. I think people enjoy celebrating things they enjoy. I really love video games and have a passion for the medium so I have a room in my house dedicated to gaming with well over 1,000 items that range from Atari 2600 to PS3. I also have quite a lot of pony stuff because it's funny of the few things I really like that has cheap and easily accessible merch. 

Shoboni,  you following me around the forums?   J/K

Oh right and the Merch.  can't forget about that.  Love collecting the blind bag ponies and the funko ones too.  Then again I love collecting figures.  I have a bunch from different Anime.  From Macross, Evangelion, Bome figures, Captain Harlock.

• Brohoof 1

People get so rapped up in there personal opinions of something, they forgot to stop and think logically about the simple answer that there is no such thing as taking things to far (As long as you dont hurt yourself mentally/physically or others. Even then this is not taking things to far, its more of a cry for help) there is actually no real defined universal line of "To far" Some people do have shared interests but everyone takes part and enjoys them differently because everyone have different experiences. If you dont understand why a person does something and or dont agree in what a person does its automatically thought of as "to far" but thats because you think about it from only your personal self and or personal social conditioned perspective of what is and not fun/acceptable. If you think about it nothing is universally written down for what is and whats not to far. Basic Example; I love music and everything that has to do with it and love MLP so I enjoy MLP music, but I am a introverted person and hate cons, any cons. I dont really understand your love for cons so I, without thinking, would say you take things to far with your opinions. But you really dont from a universal perspective.

I'm thirsty now.    

post-24771-0-90342100-1393201040.gif

What if I'm just not a charitable guy?

I don't see how that is taking it too far, it is not they are knocking on peoples door and saying "have you accepted ponies into your life?" Granted there are some pushy fans that might as well be doing that but I wouldn't put episode reviewers and fan artists/musician/writers in that same category.

Contrary to what the OP said, I wouldn't class listening to brony-made music or posting reviews of MLP episodes on Youtube as "taking it to the extreme". That is nothing compared to what a lot of fans do. It is merely expressing their love of the show which goes beyond the show itself. Bronies are invested in the characters and plots of MLP and, sometimes, the show alone doesn't cut it. Some bronies like to explore alternative stories in the form of fan art, fan fiction and even music. I wouldn't say you're taking it too far until you become what Fox News thinks bronies are.

So one thing I do notice: And as a creator, I can confirm it's something strange: The show somehow triggers the creative instinct in a lot of people. Like, I had quit Garry's Mod movies completely for years until I saw the show. Then, I got the urge to make them again (even based around TF2 characters) just so that I could sneak in Fluttershy as a reference.

Things like brony music I don't quite follow, as a lot of the techno stuff put out doesn't have much to do with the singalong efforts of the TV show. Still, there's definitely something that makes people want to do a bit more than just write fanfictions starring their OC and the female lead, as is often the case with popular franchises.

• Brohoof 1

Frankly, it's not very common for some bronies to go "far" with things like reviews, episodes, music and conventions as you said but I don't think it's quite like "that".

From what the fanbase has with fan material, there's usually something amazing going on there. 

Did anyone every see the Powerpuff Girls episode "Collect Her"? It was a satirical image of a fan driven to extremes, when the villain in the story, completes his collection of Powerpuff Girls merchandise, but the impulse of collecting is too much and he kidnaps the girls to further his insanity. Now every fandom has people like that, Star Wars, Star Trek, Twilight Saga, Beliebers, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, just to name a few, I have been alive long enough to see fans go to extremes, now there is a difference between enthusiasm for the show, and obsessing over it, for it can lead to unhealthy behaviour, just as Mark David Chapman or John Hinkley Jr., who were star stalkers and were willing to commit homicide for their fantasy. Of course, there is a fine line between affection for MLP, and slipping in madness for MLP, where you lose your mind and have no life outside of My Little Pony, so I recommend to younger bronies to not confuse affinity for My Little Pony, with obsession for My Little Pony, you can still make and listen to music inspired by the show, the art and fan fictions, and show your flattery for the work of others, just do not take it to heart, do not become like Linny, the villain in "Collect Her", have a hobby both inside and outside the brony fandom, you will be grateful to diversify.  

• Brohoof 2

Well, first we need a definition of 'too far'. I do not agree that the creation of fan content is 'going too far', especially if those things are already your hobbies. Personally, I would define too far as either:

• Having FiM interfere with your daily functioning and responsibilities
  • Annoying other people (i.e by never shutting up about ponies - wearing shirts and bringing it up where appropriate is fine)

So, how does someone get to this stage? Well, I've listed some possibilities below:

• The Backfire Effect: The Backfire Effect is the idea that, if our beliefs are challenged, rather than questioning them we retreat further into our beliefs. Whilst this is mostly applied to politics, I think it can apply to some here as well (especially those in high school). In short, if people fear being judged for their liking of the show, some may respond by going over the top the other way.
  • Lack of Social Skills: Some people may be really introverted and not have a lot of social skills. If the show/community manages to 'get them out there' as I have heard of it doing, it is possible they may be yet to learn when to shut up or indeed how to express themselves in some way which doesn't involve ponies.