Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can this generation of MLP last?

Rarity Paige Belle

I think not. I was a pretty hardcore brony and got bored of the show after season 3 ended. I mean I still like being around bronies and such and making pony related art. I just don't watch the show anymore, look at fan art, and even be a little edgy towards some bronies. 

But that's just me

No, I don't think it will even last 10 years.. I'm not saying it is getting bad or that I grew bored.. I loved and still love it.

But a good show knows when to draw the line and not milk it out.

I want the show to end on a good note rather then a stretched one.

• Brohoof 1

A series about horses that can talk will last just as long as that flimsy barricade those student revolutionists built in the middle of the public square, which if those of you who weren't there to witness those events, didn't last a day.

• Brohoof 3

I'm kinda afraid that at some point, they can't really continue. Not because of a lack of interest, but simply a lack of material to cover.

Though, I guess I would fear the same would occur of Arthur and Seseme Street given that I think they would have ended some time ago if given the chance to predict it... But, there's likely greater expectations placed on MLP.

I think the fate of many long-winded shows are that they either get really off-center as they try to stay alive, or are forced to jump into another incarnation. Like, a reboot, a spin-off, or a different take in the same world, but with different characters at a different time. ...Or they stay the same, which I don't see working indefinitely.

But then, sometimes shows seems to just repeat for the next generation. I doubt Pokemon nowadays is meant for the kids who were there and loved the first series. As such, they can basically make Ash an idiot regress Ash's journey to that of a bright-eyed and still slightly clueless young adventurer.

But no. I sadly don't see the series still being that healthy if they made it to... say, season 6 or 7.

Though, so long as they did at the very least a decent job of it, I'd still support them very much so. At worst, I see fans breaking off at different tangents, like those who embrace MLP cannon up until Twilight's ascension.

I'd be perfectly chill just picking my preferred stop and letting the train roll on to keep the series alive and going.

Once upon a time I read a fanfic that proposed a legit ending, then an alternate so as to link to a sequel. The sequel was disappointing, but I loved the story for having a spot I could just end it without having nothing else if I wanted it there.

A series about horses that can talk will last just as long as that flimsy barricade those student revolutionists built in the middle of the public square, which if those of you who weren't there to witness those events, didn't last a day.

We meet again, Russell Crowe.

No, seriouly tho - MLP:FiM probably won't last as long, depends if they're planning to just stretch it out, like they sorta did with the originals.. pretty.. pink.. stuff.. bah!

Shows that have lasted longer than 10 years get stale. Reason why I don't watch Family guy or The SImpsons or many old cartoons anymore.

Who knows when MLP will stop. I just hope it stops before it gets stale. The show still has a LOT of potential though. So who knows.

• Brohoof 1

We've seen some shows that have lasted longer than 10 years lose its magic and lose the potential that it used to have when it first started. I hope this doesn't happen to MLP.

I don't think so either.  I think we'll get about 6 seasons total before it goes off the air.  However, I'd almost guarantee that another MLP franchise would start up after FIM went off the air, and it might even be something connected to the FIM canon instead of just a purely new series.  Either way, I don't think MLP will go completely off the air until the toy franchise is no longer profitable for Hasbro.

You stop it Javert. Go back to France and take your silly hat with you. 

Also, I hope it stops after the 5th season, 6th at the most before it loses it edge. 

I strongly believe this can. So what if the stories end for the famed 6, look at all the fan made stuff that was made by other OCs alone. Why not have other characters take over, maybe in a different location other then Ponyville too. Why not have male characters mixed with female characters too? I dunno, I just see loads of possibilities.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/02/discussion-5-more-years-what-do-you.html

According to Equestria Daily the current line is projected to last another five years. I think that should be enough to satisfy fans. If the show goes ten years, that should be more than enough material to keep the fans entertained, until G5 is created. 

However, nobody really believed the Simpsons would last 25 years, and they are still making the show despite many fans having a lot of scathing reviews of many of the more recent seasons. Family Guy is still on. So is South Park and Robot Chicken. 

Even Pokemon is still on the air. 

MLP is in many respects the next incarnation of the Pokemon series. 

You've also got TMNT, and several other cartoon franchises that have been revisited in some form or fashion. 

If you have any worries that the series will be over too soon, don't worry about it. The Line is now MORE POPULAR THAN EVER! 

HASBRO better milk this franchise for all its worth now! As long as the fans are still watching and caring there will indeed be more material produced. 

All you can do to help is to buy their stuff! DVDs, Toys, Board Games, Comics, you name it, buy it. 

Of course the franchise is going strong and I don't see it ending for a long long time. 

• Brohoof 1

I say that the show should last 6-7 seasons but this generation will continue to sell merch into the next decade, even after the next generation is set up, proven by the fact that I have observed some stores still selling G3 merch alongside G4 merch, in 2013!

There is also the possibility of a spinoff when the show ends, but only time will tell.

Maybe maybe not. if they add more interesting adventures that will make bronies hanging of the end of their seats then I guess it will. More exciting stuff please Hasbro!

I have to agree.   Personally, I think it will run up to 9 seasons in total, but i think Hasbro would have to give it a push for MLP:FIM to continue on.

• Brohoof 1

Well there is already a documentary on the Brony Phenomenon that must mean that this franchise has legs beyond its core audience. How many shows get a documentary on its own fans? Trekkies anyone? 

Well, we're four seasons in, there's at least one more season, and they claim to have plans for the next several years after.  So I'd at least say the franchise is going to be pretty busy for awhile.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/02/discussion-5-more-years-what-do-you.html

According to Equestria Daily the current line is projected to last another five years. I think that should be enough to satisfy fans. If the show goes ten years, that should be more than enough material to keep the fans entertained, until G5 is created. 

However, nobody really believed the Simpsons would last 25 years, and they are still making the show despite many fans having a lot of scathing reviews of many of the more recent seasons. Family Guy is still on. So is South Park and Robot Chicken. 

Even Pokemon is still on the air. 

MLP is in many respects the next incarnation of the Pokemon series. 

You've also got TMNT, and several other cartoon franchises that have been revisited in some form or fashion. 

If you have any worries that the series will be over too soon, don't worry about it. The Line is now MORE POPULAR THAN EVER! 

HASBRO better milk this franchise for all its worth now! As long as the fans are still watching and caring there will indeed be more material produced. 

All you can do to help is to buy their stuff! DVDs, Toys, Board Games, Comics, you name it, buy it. 

Of course the franchise is going strong and I don't see it ending for a long long time. 

I couldn't imagine a G5 MLP!!! It's already awesome as is!

Perhaps, well just have to wait and see. But the great thing is there are lots and lots of fan projects already going on right now, so anyone can easily get their MLP G4 fix. I personally think the fan works are really good. 

I think it's going to last 10 years, but it will stop being good after awhile. Basically, as long as Hasbro is making good money with it, they aren't going to stop it. 

Yeah, the sad thing is that at it's heart, this is a show designed by Hasbro to make money, and it's a not unwelcome but still improbable stroke of luck that this particular reboot happened to be much better than the other ones. Hasbro went with the best writers and animators etc. for G4 not because they genuinely cared about how good the show turned out; it just so happened that making a good show lined up with their agenda of making money.

Now, because G4 has been so popular, Hasbro has obviously seen fit to keep funding it. However, the funding is determined not by the show quality, but by how much money it makes them.

So the sad truth here is that Hasbro will keep this series going until it stops making money, and whether or not FIM's creators can maintain their artistic integrity for as long as that takes will determine if this show stays good.

Edited by HappyGasProductions
  • Brohoof 1