Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Roleplay poll suggestion.

Scribblegroove

So I had this idea for the Roleplay World part of the forums. As a GM I sometimes have a hard time predicting what the roleplayers want. Usually I just have an idea for a roleplay and just post it up on the OOC forums like everyone else, but it would be nice to have some kind of tool to see what KIND of roleplays are currently desired. For instance, if there's a huge amount of adventure roleplays, it would make no sense to make another right? What kind would that be then. What do people feel like roleplaying. Or what if there were still alot of people who wanted an adventure roleplay? As a GM I, and perhaps other's as well, could anticipate on information like this to make sure that their RP's survive for longer and get enough attention.

That is where I came up with this: A poll that everyone can post on, and it has all the different genre's of roleplays (SOL, romance, advanture, action, epic, grimdark, horror, whatever you guys can come up with...) which you can vote on. At the end of each week that poll resets. This allows everyone to see what kind of roleplay is most desired!

I don't know how the OOC forums work with topics that aren't OOC pages, so I didn't know if I could make this poll myself, that is why I posted it here... If more people agree with me on this perhaps the mods/admins could make it an official sticky topic?

Just an idea, and since this is the suggestion's' forum I didn't see a reason not to share these thoughts with everyone.

• Brohoof 1

This is a very interesting suggestion. I like the idea of having a way to determine and display people's preferences in regard to what kind of roleplays they want to participate in. However, I don't think the poll should be reset every week, because, in my opinion, a week is too short for there to be any significant change in preference. One possibility is that the poll could be left open indefinitely, and people could check back on the results every couple months to see how preferences were changing over time. Or, the poll could be reset every few months. 

However, I'm worried this may discourage people who post roleplay threads that would be among the less popular categories in the poll results. People shouldn't feel disinclined to make a certain kind of roleplay just because it may not garner as much participation as others. 

All of that being said, I have very little experience with Roleplay World, so my thoughts on this are mainly based on the abstract. @Ice Storm, @Aureity, and could give you better feedback about this.

Being a Roleplay veteran, I can say that having a "preference poll" would be VERY helpful.  In the past on other sites, I remember some people investing time into making RPs only for them to just end up being complete flops due to lack of interest.  It's quite disheartening, happened to myself once.  IMO, a poll like this would help prevent that from happening, and ultimately result in happier RPers :3