Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What does your last name mean

Lunas Husband

A CrayZ Cat, on 04 Mar 2014 - 12:24 AM, said: IT IS A VISCOUS CYCLE! Sounds like a sticky situation.
  DAT typo, nice find brother. xD

(edited)

Let me tell you a family story. Gather 'round, children. ;)

Long, long ago in Scotland there was the Jacobite Rebellions, where the Scottish people rose up against the English King that tried to rule them. One clan made such a nuisance of themselves and wouldn't let it go even after the English put down the rebellions, that the English outlawed the entire clan. Anyone going by the name of MacGregor could be summarily hung by English soldiers without trial.

One particular family of MacGregors however, had no interest in the rebellions and just wanted to be left alone.

"Wha' are we goin' ta do, Da?" said the mother.

"I'm thinkin'." said the father.

"Soldiers will come soon a' late, and we'll be hung!" said the mother.

"I'm thinkin', I said." said the father.

"Pity we're na Dutch." said the boy.

"Wha' are ye babblin' abo'?" said the father.

"The English ha' let Dutch families come in an' farm. They dinna bother them." said the boy.

"Oh, I met some in tha village. They're called Van Kampf." said the girl.

"Van wha? Kampffffffff....? Wha' kind o' name?" said the mother.

"They're buildin' a windmill, and tha boy ga' me a flower. A tulip, he said." said the girl.

"I ha' an idea." said the father.

Time passes, and indeed a squad of English soldiers come to the isolated farm.

"Ho there, peasant! We are searching for Outlaws. Are there any MacGregors here?" said the captain.

"Och, nae." said the father, "We're all Dutch settlers here."

"...." said the captain, "Really?"

"Oh, aye. Straight off tha boat from Dutchlan' we are." said the father.

"But..." said the captain, "The Dutch come from Holland?"

"An easy mistake." said the father, "we Dutchies came from Dutchlan', it's tha Holls tha' come from Hollan'. They're righ' next tae each other, so we'll forgive ya tha mistake. This time."

"Are you..." said the captain.

"We're buildin' our windmill righ' over there." said the father.

"No, I..." said the captain.

"Would ye like ta see me two lips?" said the father.

"NO!" said the captain, "Fine. You're Dutch. We're going."

"Tis been a pleasure." said the father.

"But before we go, what name should be put down for our records?" said the captain.

"Oh.. uh.... Kemp. Tha's us, tha Kemp family." said the father.

And so the name Kemp was passed down in Scotland. I am Allan Reid Kemp, son of Cam Kemp, son of Sean Kemp, and this is my family story.

Unfortunately, while funny, this is obviously not accurate. In reality the English soldiers did come, and they hung the mother and the father for being MacGregor. The two children were actually very young, about five or six, and had run away. They managed to survive and find their way to a neighboring farm who was indeed one of the many settlers from the Northern Europe that the English King had brought in to 'out breed' the Scots. That family hid the children when the soldiers came looking, and took them for their own, giving them their name of Kampf. Over time the pronunciation shifted to Kemp.

Edited by Fhaolan
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

No clue what it means, but I'm positive that it roots from Germany. It is actually so complex that it has been spelled a bazillion different ways. My ancestors on my father's side (I'm guessing since about 500 years ago) ended up having it spelled "Ohlhausen".

Edited by Twilly F. Sniper

Hello!

I'm not going to reveal my last name. The internet can be a dangerous place to reveal personal information. :P

Basically, my last name means that I'm a person who can fly. It's somewhat ironic as I'm a little bit afraid of heights, though I'm not too sure how our family got that name... (People's last names were chosen by what they were known for back here.)

My last name is Tintinger. Im not too sure what it means.The Tintinger family seem to be everywhere, from south africa to ireland to america to new zealand and a whole bunch of other places. 

Apparently we originated in Poland from a place that was called Titagne and that the first Tintinger to arrive in South Africa was washed up on the beach with a crate of alcohol 0_o

• Brohoof 2

yay! Go Scottish clans! i think alexander is roman... but it's probably scottish too.

Let me tell you a family story. Gather 'round, children. ;)

Long, long ago in Scotland there was the Jacobite Rebellions, where the Scottish people rose up against the English King that tried to rule them. One clan made such a nuisance of themselves and wouldn't let it go even after the English put down the rebellions, that the English outlawed the entire clan. Anyone going by the name of MacGregor could be summarily hung by English soldiers without trial.

One particular family of MacGregors however, had no interest in the rebellions and just wanted to be left alone.

"Wha' are we goin' ta do, Da?" said the mother.

"I'm thinkin'." said the father.

"Soldiers will come soon a' late, and we'll be hung!" said the mother.

"I'm thinkin', I said." said the father.

"Pity we're na Dutch." said the boy.

"Wha' are ye babblin' abo'?" said the father.

"The English ha' let Dutch families come in an' farm. They dinna bother them." said the boy.

"Oh, I met some in tha village. They're called Van Kampf." said the girl.

"Van wha? Kampffffffff....? Wha' kind o' name?" said the mother.

"They're buildin' a windmill, and tha boy ga' me a flower. A tulip, he said." said the girl.

"I ha' an idea." said the father.

Time passes, and indeed a squad of English soldiers come to the isolated farm.

"Ho there, peasant! We are searching for Outlaws. Are there any MacGregors here?" said the captain.

"Och, nae." said the father, "We're all Dutch settlers here."

"...." said the captain, "Really?"

"Oh, aye. Straight off tha boat from Dutchlan' we are." said the father.

"But..." said the captain, "The Dutch come from Holland?"

"An easy mistake." said the father, "we Dutchies came from Dutchlan', it's tha Holls tha' come from Hollan'. They're righ' next tae each other, so we'll forgive ya tha mistake. This time."

"Are you..." said the captain.

"We're buildin' our windmill righ' over there." said the father.

"No, I..." said the captain.

"Would ye like ta see me two lips?" said the father.

"NO!" said the captain, "Fine. You're Dutch. We're going."

"Tis been a pleasure." said the father.

"But before we go, what name should be put down for our records?" said the captain.

"Oh.. uh.... Kemp. Tha's us, tha Kemp family." said the father.

And so the name Kemp was passed down in Scotland. I am Allan Reid Kemp, son of Cam Kemp, son of Sean Kemp, and this is my family story.

Unfortunately, while funny, this is obviously not accurate. In reality the English soldiers did come, and they hung the mother and the father for being MacGregor. The two children were actually very young, about five or six, and had run away. They managed to survive and find their way to a neighboring farm who was indeed one of the many settlers from the Northern Europe that the English King had brought in to 'out breed' the Scots. That family hid the children when the soldiers came looking, and took them for their own, giving them their name of Kampf. Over time the pronunciation shifted to Kemp.

I believe my last name literally comes from the fact my family used to be a blacksmithing family. Our family crest also has 3 anvils on it which further points towards the whole blacksmithing aspect of my last name which is Smith :3

• Brohoof 3

• 1 year later...

Well my surname is Oxley which is a habitational name (name given due to where you lived) which etymologically stems from South German and means "woodland clearing".

Basically, I'm a D&D ranger.

(edited)

My last name means something along the lines of "~Of the belts" in Slavic dialects. I have done no research, but it's possible that one of my ancestors was a leatherworker or something.

Edited by Sleepwalker

My last name originates from old Irish, and means 'sea dog/sea warrior'.

Which is rather fitting, seeing how I'm going to enlist in the Marines soon.

I like my last name a lot more now that I know what it means.

• Brohoof 1