Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Idea for a musical?

TheChosenPony

So I had this idea for a musical- hear me out- this is a great Idea

Setup:

Why don't we have a mlp themed musical just with not so many pony references? We could have it like the Lion King with masks and paint. or for instance each character being only in a bodysuit of a certain shade of color. Like Celestia would be white and Luna would be black with some features. NM could have alternate face paint to make her look evil.

Plot:

We could have it begin telling the story of NM (The one told in S1 E1) and then start from nightmare moon's point of view with this song maybe?

A scene could play with a argument between them.

Celestia would banish NM to the moon, following this song

maybe it could just be based upon NM and Celestia? 

Thats all I got. Does it sound like a good idea to you guys?

If you have any ideas, post em!

Edited by TheChosenPony
  • Brohoof 1

I'd be all for it. I could definitely do some singing and acting, I've written musicals, and I've been selected to join a group of 25 Hollywood Actors to create a musical, since I have been put forward as what they call me, and I quote, "one if the most talented actors and singers in the state you live in". I'd be all for it if you need writers singers, or actors.

Edited by super2379

I'd be all for it. I could definitely do some singing and acting, I've written musicals, and I've been selected to join a group of 25 Hollywood Actors to create a musical, since I have been put forward as what they call me, and I quote, "one if the most talented actors and singers in the state you live in". I'd be all for it if you need writers singers, or actors.

I dont know if I could do it myself. I wouldn't have the resources needed. I'm just putting this out there and asking for you guys to expand upon it.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe we could include me in this discussion? I say we make it about the forums (and our OC's) instead of the show. Or we could just find people to play the well known users of the forum instead of just ourselves. (like feld0) I'll link my singing ability in here later.

Why settle for a musical when we can go for a full-out opera?  The premise just sounds perfect for a more operatic adaptation.  We'd just have to hire out semi-professional opera singers to execute it instead. (Although I'm not sure if you differentiate "opera" and "musical" the same way I do...)

Why don't we have a mlp themed musical just with not so many pony references?

The whole musical would be a pony reference, wouldn't it?

Edited by OptimisticNeighsayer

(edited)

Maybe we could include me in this discussion? I say we make it about the forums (and our OC's) instead of the show. Or we could just find people to play the well known users of the forum instead of just ourselves. (like feld0) I'll link my singing ability in here later.

Um, I was kind of looking at the story between NM and Celestia, I kinda wanted it to tell a story, not an anthology.

Why settle for a musical when we can go for a full-out opera?  The premise just sounds perfect for a more operatic adaptation.  We'd just have to hire out semi-professional opera singers to execute it instead. (Although I'm not sure if you differentiate "opera" and "musical" the same way I do...)

The whole musical would be a pony reference, wouldn't it?

Well, yeah, but no pony costumes and stuff, I just look at it to be simplistic

I kind of wish the whole thing to be in song, just with different scenes, like a musical

I'm thinking of taking all the songs and putting them together in an animation.

What other songs have you guys found that might go well? 

Edited by TheChosenPony

(edited)

I'm really good at making orchestral scores. I can be the lead composer for the songs. 

*begin spike impersonation* 

Yeah Problem is-

1. I'm not a director (I wish i could be)

2. I most likely don't have the funds

So I really just put this out there for someone to maybe stumble upon (in all coincidences, a director)

Edited by TheChosenPony

I say we make it about the forums (and our OC's) instead of the show. Or we could just find people to play the well known users of the forum instead of just ourselves.

I like this idea.

I would absolutely love to do something like this. 

What other songs have you guys found that might go well? 

This could be a really good potential song. Like, one cast member begins singing it, then others join in to create an "ahh" effect. And for like the final stanza, the entire singing cast could sing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc-mciVHHC8 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea. I doubt I'd be able to help though. I am a singer with years of experience(Lately though, I'm still trying to get used to my deeper voice. I can't sing some of the songs I used to :(). I can actually sing both of those songs completely from memory. ^_^ (I love them ;)) But of course, I wouldn't sound much of princess.

The idea isn't half bad, but apart from bronies and children, who would really show up to see it?  I suppose that it could be done at large conventions (Bronycon, Everfree NW, etc.), but apart from that, it would not be successful financially.

Thats why I didn't want it to be branded after my little pony, I just wanted it to tell a story. Something like, Nightmares from the Moon sounds like a nice title

Well, a pony musical could work.  But as far as the staging is concerned, it would be challenging to do dancing and singing, given the nature of the franchise (you know, them being ponies).  However, if the costumes were something more akin to Cats in appearance (where the characters are humans that are essentially dressed up like the characters) then I could see it happening.

As for people that think this wouldn't work, I can tell you it's very possible to make it work.  Sailor Moon did it 29 times (that's twenty-nine).  And it worked each time (though to differing degrees, but they were all successful).  For those that are skeptical, I've posted some videos of this.  Look up Seramyu on youtube, and you'll see entire playlists of them (many of which have been subtitled).

So, why were they so successful in this endeavor, putting a musical on stage often with a limited budget?  Well, there's a few reasons. 

First of all, the music was always catchy and memorable, ranging from rock concert-style songs to epic operatic pieces.  So there was a little bit of everything in them.  Second, while the sets were often hit or miss (yeah yeah, budget stuff), the costumes always looked great, especially for the major villains.  Third, the storylines were always great.  You can forgive a lot if the storyline is good, and the Sailor Moon musicals have some of the best and most memorable plots I've seen connected to the franchise (even if plot points are recycled at times).

Anyway, back to MLP.  If you want to do a musical, those would be the three major things to watch out for.  Costumes, songs, and storyline.  Also, I would strongly recommend familiarizing yourself with the two-act structure, which most musicals follow.  It'll give you a rough idea of how the plot should play out and when things should happen in the show.

Edited by SBaby

Thats why I didn't want it to be branded after my little pony, I just wanted it to tell a story. Something like, Nightmares from the Moon sounds like a nice title

Inevitably, people would catch on that it is MLP-inspired, and word would get around about it being based on MLP.

Edited by StarSwirlTheBearded

figaroh!figaroh figarroh FIIIII-GAAAAAA-ROOOOOOOOOOOO! lol sry, couldn't help it :P