Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

EQLA has been shut down

CloserToTheSun

Just announced on their Facebook page, the California-based My Little Pony convention Equestria LA has stated that they are shutting down.

img-2470150-1-Screenshot15_zps0465a6c8.p

This, along with SacBrony, makes two MLP conventions that have stopped. This leaves BabsCon and Everfree Northwest as the only two MLP conventions in the western United States.

Edited by CloserToTheSun

Wait what that's my local con those bastards

Huh. I guess EQLA and BabsCon have possibly decided to consolidate into Babs? A lot of BabsCon's staff is actually the staff from EQLA, if I recall correctly. So they've decided to pool the resources for the cons into this one specifically. Might also explain how BabsCon has been able to bloat to the size it has, if they're draining resources from EQLA into it.

Wait what that's my local con those bastards

Huh. I guess EQLA and BabsCon have possibly decided to consolidate into Babs? A lot of BabsCon's staff is actually the staff from EQLA, if I recall correctly. So they've decided to pool the resources for the cons into this one specifically. Might also explain how BabsCon has been able to bloat to the size it has, if they're draining resources from EQLA into it.

Mine too, which really bums me. Heck, I started up the fan-fiction panel for that con. I'm sure they aren't shutting it down for nefarious reasons. At least we still have BabsCon, Everfree and plenty of other conventions to work with.

• Brohoof 1

I'm sorry to hear that they had to shut down, because they did have a hiatus for a few months and now they are gone. It's good to have other conventions in the West, but it's sad to hear this.

Well, there goes another convention down for the year unfortunately.

Is this just for the year or is this permanent to years to come?

I think it's permanent. They had two cons in within a six month period (kinda freaking impressive) and then said that they were taking a hiatus for 2014.

Is this just for the year or is this permanent to years to come?

They talked about shutting down the entire convention,so it'll probably be permanent

Conventions take a lot of resources to organize and pull off. Given our current economy and several underlining factors, I guess they just felt they couldn't break even or the interest wasn't strong enough. With BABsCon being heavily advertised that's the one that will be the big one for fans on the West Coast. So despite the loss of a few conventions, new gatherings will indeed pop up. Other conventions will also be featuring MLP even if its not the primary theme. 

To be honest, since I live in europe... I couldn't care less...

However, I could imagine one of the already few conventions being taken away could be significant to people who can actually GO, so I can empathise that. Though there is such a tiny amount of cons in Europe anyway :c

Conventions take a lot of resources to organize and pull off. Given our current economy and several underlining factors, I guess they just felt they couldn't break even or the interest wasn't strong enough. With BABsCon being heavily advertised that's the one that will be the big one for fans on the West Coast. So despite the loss of a few conventions, new gatherings will indeed pop up. Other conventions will also be featuring MLP even if its not the primary theme.

It's understandable. As I mentioned to one person above, they pulled off two conventions within a six month period and did a great job with them. So yeah, it's understandable that they need to close shop. I think it was bound to happen sooner or later. A bit of a shame to see it go though, I enjoyed that con a lot.