Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Help me Understand the Brony Culture, Please?

shroommu

Hey folks, my name's Shroom. I'm 20 years old, female, live in Utah, pretty awesome... Yeah. I'm not actually much of a fan of MLP; I've watched the show with my 7- and 9-year-old sisters before, and I'll admit it has its merits and it's one of the less annoying kids shows out there, but it just isn't for me.

The real reason I'm here is that I've heard a lot about you brony guys, and I wanted to get to know the sub-culture firsthand. I'm writing a paper about the brony phenomenon or whatever you want to call it for my English 2010 class.

I'm looking for some people who would be willing to kind of walk me through bronyhood or bronydom, explain why it is you like the show so much, stuff like that. I'd like to gather a few interviews to be able to use as a resource for my paper.

Oh, and I, ah, may be able to offer some incentive in the form of art of your pony OC if you decide to let me interview you. We can talk about it >8D

Anyways, if you'd be willing to help a bro out, just reply to this message or PM me, or if you can steer me in the direction of someone who might be able to help I'd really appreciate it c:

Thanks so much!

-Shroom

• Brohoof 2

Well, there are plenty of places where you can find information on the Brony fandom. Most likely the easiest to obtain for free would be the Elements of Brony, I think it is. It's basically a podcast created by Brony analysis people. Other than that, there are some documentaries out there.

I don't have too much experience in the Brony Fandom myself, but there are a lot of places you can probably go as well. If you want to try to interview me, I'll try to do as much as I can, but I may not be able to give much valuable information.

• Brohoof 2

I've been a Brony for a year now, and despite my "obsession" with the show, I'm not terribly knowledgeable about our fan base. But, first and most important piece of advice when /discussing/debating/dealing about Bronies is to keep an open mind. Especially when it comes to fan made content you'll find on the internet.

"Keep an Open Mind and you'll never know who will walk in" -Ms. Frizzle.

Edited by WiiGuy

Any interviews will be extremely helpful, the more people I can talk to the better! I'd just really like to know why people like it individually; a big part of my project is interviews.

Any interviews will be extremely helpful, the more people I can talk to the better! I'd just really like to know why people like it individually; a big part of my project is interviews.

I can try to help.

Just send me a list of questions, I'll answer them for you.

I'd be happy to partake in a interview or two, I've done a bit of research myself into the brony fandom and I believe I am quite extensive about most of the brony culture. 

Feel free to send me questions too if you need to. I'm a bit of an oddball when it comes to this fandom, so I'll probably have a fairly unique perspective if that's what you're looking for.

Hey folks, my name's Shroom. I'm 20 years old, female, live in Utah, pretty awesome... Yeah. I'm not actually much of a fan of MLP; I've watched the show with my 7- and 9-year-old sisters before, and I'll admit it has its merits and it's one of the less annoying kids shows out there, but it just isn't for me.

The real reason I'm here is that I've heard a lot about you brony guys, and I wanted to get to know the sub-culture firsthand. I'm writing a paper about the brony phenomenon or whatever you want to call it for my English 2010 class.

I'm looking for some people who would be willing to kind of walk me through bronyhood or bronydom, explain why it is you like the show so much, stuff like that. I'd like to gather a few interviews to be able to use as a resource for my paper.

Oh, and I, ah, may be able to offer some incentive in the form of art of your pony OC if you decide to let me interview you. We can talk about it >8D

Anyways, if you'd be willing to help a bro out, just reply to this message or PM me, or if you can steer me in the direction of someone who might be able to help I'd really appreciate it c:

Thanks so much!

-Shroom

sure why not pm me anytime

To understand the Brony, you must become the Brony

@____________@;

that's like profound and stuff, man.

but I think I'll just defer to the expertise of current bronies, in the interest of time xD my paper's due in about a week, and I don't know that I can become a brony that quickly.

or can i...?

I have watched the first two seasons of the show (and the movie *shudder*) with my sisters, so I have a pretty good grasp of what it's about c: I just don't quite understand the culture surrounding it, but it is slowly becoming clear to me...

I have watched the first two seasons of the show (and the movie *shudder*) with my sisters, so I have a pretty good grasp of what it's about c: I just don't quite understand the culture surrounding it, but it is slowly becoming clear to me...

You didn't like the movie? Personally, I enjoy it. But I can understand why you wouldn't.

You didn't like the movie? Personally, I enjoy it. But I can understand why you wouldn't.

I can't really put my finger on what exactly bothered me about the movie. I think it was a combination of the premise and the character design. But my sisters loved it, so it has that going for it.

Well, if you want a veteran brony (or hipster if you prefer) I have been in the fandom since August of 2011. I can probably give some insight for your research if you would like.

The movie sucked.

To understand the Brony, you must become the Brony

I'd say this too, it's kinda hard to explain.

"the characters are good, the plots too" is obvious when we like a show. Personally I find hard to explain why MLP:FIM is currently my favorite show. I like it because.........I like it.

Edited by Blobulle

We're just like almost every other fanbase: we watch the show, post things on the interwebs, talk with friends, go to conventions, etc. We just have more love and tolerance and are very condemned by others for watching a show in which the target demographic was originally young females. That's all.

Edited by Shenron00

Feel free to PM me with a list of questions about my bronyhood. I can't do a face to face interview because of trust issues.

But still, PM me anytime if you want some questions answered about me as a brony.