Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Malls are disappearing?

Celestial Wish

Im gonna be honest............i find that hard to believe, b/c where I am, malls are just........packed and i mean packed to a point where its a zoo, lol.  Yet, i would not be surprised if malls are in fact disappeared, yet, imo, i believe that is b/c everyone is buying online rather than going to the store and getting them.  Financial is the only thing that pops in my head.

Those malls will forever make an awesome real-life COD campaign.

Hell yes..............speaking of that, im gonna end up making a Forge Map of Mall in Halo 4, lol.

• Brohoof 1

There is a few things to blame: internet, walmart/target/..., and people.

The internet is killing all the business, and walmart is killing all the business by regrouping everything in one store. And the people just... do what's easier, buy from them.

So no one go to malls anymore. They get filled with annoying clothes stores and shizz and they are unatractive. They built a whole shopping center near where I live. The whole place got filled with clothes stores, a walmart arrived and then everything died.

I tell you; the economy is going to crash once again, soon.

That hasn't been my experience. We have two malls in town, and they're doing just fine. There is the fact that we once had a third mall, but it closed like ten years ago, and was always kind of run down and out of the way from how I remember.

I can't believe people really think that the internet can replace malls. Shopping is fun and an experience all in itself, and buying clothes without trying them on is a big risk! I would be wasting sooo much money shopping for clothes online because I'm like "OMG that is so cute, I must have that!", but then I put it on..."I'm too fat and ugly for this, get it out of my sight."

I simply have to have physical stores... At least for clothes shopping. >.<

GameStop is beginning to focus more on mobile sales and closing down a lot of their stores, malls may as well close down. People don't go to JC Penny or Sears to buy their clothes anymore, most go to Walmart, they're cheaper! As far as the food places go, most of them are just mini versions of the actual thing. So why not get the real deal instead of a mini sized? People are thinking differently than they used to, I think so anyways. ^^

I was reading just a few weeks ago about the decline of malls in America. It's strange stuff, and those photos are nothing short of eerie.

Malls (we call them schooling centres) here in Australia are still going strong. It's more difficult to shop online over here because of shipping costs, and I agree with Envy - there's NO WAY I'd ever buy clothes from anywhere without trying them on first! For that reason alone, I'd be bereaved if all the shopping centres suddenly started folding.

From what I read though, many of the American mall failures were due in part to having too many malls too close together, in direct competition with each other. That, and instead of maintaining and expanding existing malls, companies would just build a newer, bigger one. Where I live, we do the opposite. The shopping centres here are constantly expanding, renovating and adding new stores. The retailers are currently suffering under obscene rent which doesn't bode well, but hopefully we overcome that hurdle and keep our shops alive.

I cant care less about malls, I live in the country side. So I wasn't in a mall gang or something. Lol I dislike malls, I usually only go to one or two stores and I don't have to go to a mall to do that. I doubt malls are disappearing, there are some good things about malls. I just dislike the city.

I am really saddened by the trend of indoor shopping malls disappearing.  The ones in my town aren't doing well, either, which makes no sense because half the year here it barely gets above 20 degrees outside!!  We need indoor places to shop!

Btw, OP, those pictures look like Dead Center from L4D2.

This is probably a rehashing of several points working against malls that have already been mentioned but I'll sum them up real quickly.

1. Walmart.

2. The advent of online shopping.

3. Retail has always had a thin operating margin. The extra cost associated with maintaining and patrolling an enclosed, climate controlled area has become expendable. Even the fountains associated with a lot of malls have been removed to make room for more profitable vendor carts.

I for one don't like this trend. Philadelphia summers are hot and sticky and winters are bundle up buttercup cold so I've always enjoyed the opportunity to hit several stores in a single indoor location. Most of the malls in my area are healthy but a sizable portion, maybe one third, are struggling now.

Sometimes a single high profile crime can be a mall killer. There are at least two locations I can think of where violence was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Owings Mills just outside Baltimore: In 1992, a mall employee was robbed and killed on her way to the subway after work. The few times I visited it was always at least half vacant and plans are to close it in the immediate future.

Burlington Center Mall in Philly's suburbs: In 2007 a brawl broke out between members of rival gangs. I visited that mall around that time and it was 85% occupied then. A trip this week revealed it's now down to 25%. Even Dunkin Donuts fled the food court so you KNOW it's bad. :blink:

Another Philly area mall, in Springfield Delaware County, was the scene of a shooting rampage in 1985 but after years of struggling it has managed to recover and now seems to be OK as a second tier mall in the region.

Malls aren't likely to disappear entirely but we're going to have fewer of them than we had in the later 20 th century. It's pretty much economic Darwinism and survival of the fittest.

I was at the mall not too long ago, at the arcade. Good times xD

When I was a kid, EVERY mall had an arcade!  Nowadays those are pretty hard to find in a shopping center.  :( 

Malls are disappearing? Wow never knew that till now! I don't really go to malls anymore, though Walmart shall go down! xD

I think it'd be cool to go in one of those malls and have a massive airsoft war. Or to just walk around.

It does seem as though malls are going away, it's mostly either huge companies buying out stores or even the big company going out. My county doesn't even have a mall, or the next lol. I have to take like a half hour drive to reach it.

I've used my detective skills to piece together that it is located in America.  :o

No no, Mall of America is located in Switzerland, no pony knew that? x3