Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is it ok to celebrate mother's day for "fur babies?"

Flash Fire

(edited)

I've seen it more and more often lately. People saying Happy Mother's Day to pet owners without any children of their own. How do you feel about this? Does this lessen mothers day for women who actually have kids?

Here is a quote from someone on a comment thread elsewhere on the topic:

"Im sure your a wonderful loving pet mother. But people buy pets. I didnt buy my kids. Having kids changed my body and it will never be the same. It is important to have someone to love and nurture who loves you back even if its not a human. But you point out another difference between having pets and being a mom. You cannot train your kids to poop outside (well you could but shouldnt). You have to wipe their baby asses and then potty train them. You cannot leave your kids in kennels to sleep or go out. You have to give them your 24/7 attention and care. You have to put them in school. Teach them about life. Have the embarrassing sex talk with them. Teach them self respect and hard work. Put them through college. Worry about them and have high hopes for them in life that they grow up take care of themselves find love and succeed in life. Maybe start their own family and do It all again. Kids are your legacy and all im saying is theres a big difference and alot more work emotion and soul put into having and raising kids. That is why this day was established for US human people to thank our moms whoever they may be. Appreciate your moms. Dont just try to solicit recognition because you have a pet. We can establish you a day of your own for that. people who care for pets are VERY important. But caring for children is totally beyond pet owning"

Edited by Flash Fire
  • Brohoof 1

I think mother's day is supposed to be about kids appreciating their mothers mostly, so the added nods from others can go to whoever. I don't think i'd take issue with it if i were a mother, but that's just me.

I think it's weird. If you're a mother of a child (whether your very own or adopted; it makes sense). For pet owners, I don't think so. Most animals don't think you're the mother, like dogs just think you're another member of a pack.

It takes alot to take care of pets.. so in a way, people are 'parents' of their pets.. so yeah its weird, but its not uncalled for to say 'happy mothers day' or something related to those people without kids.. now if they get pissy, just say 'go F... yourself'

I guess it really comes down to the difference between a mother and a caretaker. Like, you wouldn't say it to your babysitter or nanny. So why would people call pet owners "moms"?

I guess it really comes down to the difference between a mother and a caretaker. Like, you wouldn't say it to your babysitter or nanny. So why would people call pet owners "moms"?

I guess its because people tend to treat pets like they're little human children (which is why some pets walk all over their owners).

My status update. Read it.

Besides, people who don't have kids/mothers still deserve love. Everyone does.

Of course they deserve love, that isn't in question. But, does that make it ok for them to claim an unearned title?

It's kinda aginst the whole point of Mother's day but on the other hand I don't see any real harm in it.

Though "Fur babies" is a bit of an odd term though. Sounds like something you would hear in the crazier furry communities.