Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things you have said to impress someone, which weren't actually true?

Xievie

I exaggerate a lot when I talk about myself sometimes in real life. I told someone I was studying German, Japanese, and Russian, but I actually haven't begun.

Saying "I want to study" felt like it sounded more impressive than "I plan to study".

What about you guys?

I do this all the time, and the funny thing is that it's rarely if ever to actually impress somebody. I just compulsively say whatever sounds the best even if I don't really need to worry about it either way, it's one of the nastier habits I've not managed to shake from my childhood.

• Brohoof 1

I  don't do this too much anymore. It was a bit of a habit I had through elementary and middle school. I never outright lied just exaggerated and altered the truth a bit. Everything I said was still true in some sense.

I wasn't doing it to impress anyone neccesarily. I was just bored and liked to tell stories, but nobody would ever listen if I just told them what really happened, so I exaggerated and mixed the details to make it more interesting. It got their attention, but my parents weren't very happy about it. I still do it on occasion, but for the most part I've managed to stop.

(edited)

In the beginning of middle-school for some reason I told my fellow students that I was in the works of making a successful kids show similar to Pokemon and Digimon called "Gizmo". I'd done a few drawings and such but I actually got them to believe this was a real thing that professionals were currently working on to become a thing.

Why? Heck if I know! Guess it just felt good thinking that something I enjoyed doing mattered on a monetary scale at that age.

ZgilGhM.gif

Edited by Summer Greetings
  • Brohoof 1

I like technology history and rocketry in particular. In 1965 the Apollo program tested the Saturn V F1 engines, all five at the same time. For the two minutes they were running, America's National energy output increased by 5%. I sometimes mix those numbers up and say 20%.

I do this all the time, and the funny thing is that it's rarely if ever to actually impress somebody. I just compulsively say whatever sounds the best even if I don't really need to worry about it either way, it's one of the nastier habits I've not managed to shake from my childhood.

This. I find myself blurting out the more impressive thing, but its not because I want to impress anyone. I often have to say: "Wait- no. That's wrong."

• Brohoof 1

I've been on omegle and showed people Chevette's car drawings and said they were mine. But that was mainly because I wanted to see what they thought of them. He's a great artist... and I'm not. x)

This may not strictly fit the topic, but when telling a humorous story (this was truer a million years ago when I attended high school) I might embellish a bit lol.  In order to enhance the comedic effect of said story.  Sometimes I say I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die?

I've known people like that. Not me. What's worse is he's dating a girl I was interested in (though accept her choice) and she responds to his bull crap with "Wow. You know so much!"

I say that I can read a little Dutch. In truth, I don't know any Dutch and just pick out the odd meaning based off of similarities to English or German. Additionally, I say that I learned a little German from music, when in truth I learned from lyric and translation videos, and I learned more vocabulary than grammar (and my vocabulary mostly isn't conversational. The greatest praise I have received from a fluent speaker was that it was "somewhat passable". I like to say that at least make myself understood, but in truth I probably sound like a brain-dead chimp and fluent speakers can kinda pick meaning from my gibberish.

Also my Japanese is nowhere near what it used to be, but I still like to talk about my previous level, and my Mandarin was never passable to begin with.

I also say that I lit myself on fire years ago in welding class, in truth a spark or hot bit of slag or something like that ignited my jeans by my ankle, but the flame was small.

So much hyperbole...

(edited)

As a kid, I often did this, and I still exaggerate stories to make them more amusing. Most stories I do tell to impress people sound like lies though, when they actually aren't.

There have been times when I've told a lie so often, I've ended up believing it as the truth myself. That's when you know things have got out of hand.

Edited by Shaunnnnnnnnn

(edited)

I tried to impress another by saying I have an Xbox, which I obviously didn't or when I said someone could read my diary, so I could come off as a more open-minded person, but yeah guess s/he never got that one.. And then there have been times when I've tried to come off as a better student by being stern and tried to listen to the teacher, which resulted in this:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/1781183/boo-from-monsters-inc-o.gif

Edited by SweetieBelle456