Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do some bronies have a persecution complex?

Zenoctilles

Talk about being a "closet brony" and other such nonsense are contributing that inflated sense of self-importance that some bronies flaunt when they talk about what it's like to be a fan of "My Little Pony".

Personally, I do not like the term "closet brony". Of course, I am sure that many of you are aware of the term "coming out of the closet", in terms of transgenderism and homosexuality. Please. People making fun of you for enjoying a children's cartoon is not equivalent to the real and serious persecution that some homosexual and transgender folks face. It's disrespectful to use such a term when it already carries a heavier gravitas in another similar, yet more serious, context.

Plus, with the exception of a few media outlets, the vast majority of newspapers have published either neutral or positive reports on bronies. There is no serious mass-persecution of bronies taking place, especially when we get shoutouts from Steven Cobert and glowing reports from the likes of even conservative newspapers like the Wall Street Journal.

Call me out for belly-aching, but I don't care. I am a brony and I am proud of the fact that I like a good cartoon. But, with recent spasms of narcissism in the MLP fandom (like the BronyCon Documentary, among other things), I think it's time to take a step back and reflect on whether we are really all that special or not.

• Brohoof 7

Closet brony: You are secretly a brony

Closet homosexual: You are secretly a homosexual

There's nothing wrong with using the phrase "closet brony" or "coming out of the closet". Just because the phrase can refer to something "worse" or "more serious" doesn't mean it should be monopolized for that use.

• Brohoof 10

(edited)

Persecutory delusion

Persecutory delusions are a delusional condition in which the affected person believes they are being persecuted. Specifically, they have been defined as containing two central elements:[1]

• The individual thinks that harm is occurring, or is going to occur.
  • The individual thinks that the persecutor has the intention to cause harm.
Wikipedia is best website

Yeah, I often see this weird case where someone think that watching cartoon ponies means that you will have to tell everyone about it. It's really no big deal, but some just love to make a huge fuss over it (ponychan lol)

Edited by Sakamoto

I agree. I became a brony about 3 weeks ago and just joined this forum. I mean I don't go out in the world and yell, "Hey guys! I'm a brony!" But I don't hide it either. If someone asks if I'm a brony I will answer truthfully. "Yes I am a brony, and I am proud of that fact." Most people I've met who aren't bronies tend to have a closed mind on what a brony actually is.

• Brohoof 1

Closet brony: You are secretly a brony

Closet homosexual: You are secretly a homosexual

There's nothing wrong with using the phrase "closet brony" or "coming out of the closet". Just because the phrase can refer to something "worse" or "more serious" doesn't mean it should be monopolized for that use.

Yet you don't hear about "closet Trekkies".

This whole "closeted" nonsense with less serious topics began with this fandom, as far as I can tell. For people in other fandoms that I've been a part of, there has never been much talk of needing to share with others that they like x and y, much in the same way that homosexuals feel that they need to share with their family and friends the fact that they are homosexual. Yes, people are nervous that people might make fun of them for liking x or y cartoon/movie, but people here treat MLP with a certain reverence that I don't quite understand.

• Brohoof 5

I'm am someone who hides his bronyship, but later on today, I've got a plan... I'm going to a small mall-like area, and I'm going to set at least two computers to the beginning of MLP episodes and maybe a couple more to some fan made songs (Awoken, Nightmare Night, Magic is Timeless, etc.). I hope at least someone sees me. It should boost my confidence if I do it. Wish me luck!

• Brohoof 3

This whole "closeted" nonsense with less serious topics began with this fandom, as far as I can tell. For people in other fandoms that I've been a part of, there has never been much talk of needing to share with others that they like x and y, much in the same way that homosexuals feel that they need to share with their family and friends the fact that they are homosexual. Yes, people are nervous that people might make fun of them for liking x or y cartoon/movie, but people here treat MLP with a certain reverence that I don't quite understand.

People may ridicule you for watching My Little Pony.

People may ridicule you for being a homosexual.

Being a homosexual isn't the only thing there is to worry about, and ironically enough, some people will be labeled as a homosexual for watching such a show.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Because being a teenage-to-adult male enjoying Star Trek would not be surprising and/or cause them to be shunned by society.

Being a teenage-to-adult male enjoying a predominantly feminine franchise as My Little Pony would be surprising and/or cause them to be shunned by society.

The worst society can do to Trekkies is call them nerds or geeks, while it can be hurtful, could possibly not be all that damaging.

The worst society can do to Bronies is call them by homophobic slurs which can be hurtful AND damaging.

Fact is, in the end, society sucks because people suck. They rush to judgment without even trying to educate themselves on the matter. All about them old-fashioned, outdated gender roles that society likes to hold onto.

Edited by Doctor XFizzle
  • Brohoof 9

I'm am someone who hides his bronyship, but later on today, I've got a plan... I'm going to a small mall-like area, and I'm going to set at least two computers to the beginning of MLP episodes and maybe a couple more to some fan made songs (Awoken, Nightmare Night, Magic is Timeless, etc.). I hope at least someone sees me. It should boost my confidence if I do it. Wish me luck!

Wear a shirt.

Seriously, most sane and rational people won't care if you like MLP or not. I told my parents that I was watching MLP. They shrugged and left me alone. I've talked about the show briefly with my co-workers at work. The simply shrugged.

There's nothing special about being a fan for a good cartoon. Heck, there were many adult fans of Rugrats, for example (Steven Spielberg included).

• Brohoof 3

Good luck! I was worried what my friends would say when I first told them. Everything will be good.

Talk about being a "closet brony" and other such nonsense are contributing that inflated sense of self-importance that some bronies flaunt when they talk about what it's like to be a fan of "My Little Pony".

Personally, I do not like the term "closet brony". Of course, I am sure that many of you are aware of the term "coming out of the closet", in terms of transgenderism and homosexuality. Please. Ponies making fun of you for enjoying a foals's cartoon is not equivalent to the real and serious persecution that some homosexual and transgender foalks face. It's disrespectful to use such a term when it already carries a heavier gravitas in another similar, yet more serious, context.

Plus, with the exception of a few media outlets, the vast majority of newspapers have published either neutral or positive reports on bronies. There is no serious mass-persecution of bronies taking place, especially when we get shoutouts from Steven Cobert and glowing reports from the likes of even conservative newspapers like the Wall Street Journal.

Call me out for belly-aching, but I don't care. I am a brony and I am proud of the fact that I like a good cartoon. But, with recent spasms of narcissism in the MLP fandom (like the BronyCon Documentary, among other things), I think it's time to take a step back and reflect on whether we are really all that special or not.

You'd be surprised. Where I live, no one gives you flak if you are gay. Crap, they probably don't care if you screw animals. But if you say you are a brony, you'd probably get shot.

(edited)

To be fair, to real group of people have any claim to the word 'Closet'. In fact, it's original meaning was 'A room with which clothing is stored in.' And I don't see, like, Carpenters complaining about the LGBT community using their word.

And to be fair, there are some families out there that freak out when they hear their child likes a 'little girl's show'. I remember some story on Reddit about a kid who was kicked out of his house when he said he was a brony. (Not sure of it's legitness, but eh). And a lot of traditional folks tend to believe that Brony=Homosexuality, when it doesn't, and if those folks are against homosexuality, well, I think we all know what happens there.

Though I will say I don't fully understand why most people feel the need to tell everyone they love the show. I love Pokemon, I don't feel the need to tell all my family about it. But eh, to each their own.

Seriously, most sane and rational people won't care if you like MLP or not.

>Implying our society consists mostly of sane and rational individuals

Edited by Tom The Poltergeist
  • Brohoof 8

It is a little ridiculous, but I think its understandable to a degree, especially for the younger members here (middle school age). Seriously, middle school is a horrible place. You want the definition of judgmental, ignorance, intolerance, and hate, (just to name a few; I could go on for a while) head to your nearest junior high. I don't blame those kids one bit for wanting to keep it a secret. Is it really that important of what the others will say? No, but at that point in life it can be really damaging to have these things done to you. At least cut these bronies a little slack.

But yeah, if you're no longer in that shithole of a place, it may be time to do a little growing up.

• Brohoof 4

You'd be surprised. Where I live, no one gives you flak if you are gay. Crap, they probably don't care if you screw animals. But if you say you are a brony, you'd probably get shot.

Where do you live? That seems odd. People don't know what a "brony" is. I'm sure if you tell them that you like a good girl's cartoon, they will understand.

Where do you live? That seems odd. Ponies don't know what a "brony" is. I'm sure if you tell them that you like a good filly's cartoon, they will understand.

It's simple. Just a ton of gay people around. Far... too... many.

(edited)

It's because of all the stereotypes associated with bronies. Most people think of us as an immature group of people that spends all his or her time watching MLP.It's not even as acceptable as saying " Wow I love Star Trek* because that show is a little more suited for teenagers/ young adults in some cases while MLP is a feminine as it gets.

I personally know I'm a brony and wouldn't even try to hide it :)

Edited by OdinForced

The whole fuss about being a brony is because people like to stand up for what they believe, the more if it's something they could get ridiculed for. It's an act that brings you this "I-stood-up-for-my-beliefs-against-all-odds" feeling. This is the reason why homosexuals like to do fests and parades and stuff. It's the pride. Off course, being gay is something much more serious then watching mlp, without a doubt, tho.

This whole "closeted" nonsense with less serious topics began with this fandom, as far as I can tell. For ponies in other fandoms that I've been a part of, there has never been much talk of needing to share with others that they like x and y, much in the same way that homosexuals feel that they need to share with their family and friends the fact that they are homosexual. Yes, ponies are nervous that ponies might make fun of them for liking x or y cartoon/movie, but ponies here treat MLP with a certain reverence that I don't quite understand.

Actually, I've seen the term "closet furry" used quite a bit.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Homosexuality and otherwise other facets of the LGBT community seem to be steadily accepted as the years pass by. However, the thoughts and mindsets about grown men watching a show intended for "little girls" is still a tad frowned upon, because gender roles apparently prohibit this from happening at all. While it does appear to be going in the right direction, it's nonetheless a bit strange to say you watch a show for "little girls" because there are indeed some people who would go "what the fuck" over the whole concept. To the guys: you would feel awfully strange for playing with tea party playsets and barbie dolls when you were 8 years old rather than playing with Spiderman action figures, right? Yet little girls playing on Xbox isn't strange at all. If anything, it's kind of cute for the average eye, but this is an ugly inconsistency and contrast nevertheless.

Although FiM isn't exclusively a show for little girls, people do tend to judge things by their cover rather than actually see it for themselves. The association with girls and pink colors doesn't exactly help that cause, either; when you look at this logo, it's none too surprising for them to go "what the heck, this is associated with girly colors, so they have to be insane for watching this junk". The adornment of hearts, the otherwise heart-like shape of that logo I've just linked makes it even harder in that regard. Granted, if you were girl, this would never be "as serious", because it's "OK" to get into it since you are indeed a female and it's "suited" for you.

I'm disappointed in saying that gender roles have been in place since the very first documentation of human history, but at least it's not completely frowned upon anymore. If anything, this detachment should serve larger purpose for those who are "closet bronies" and would really want to come out of the proverbial closet because if they truly want to "change society" and revolutionize the status quo, as it were, then "coming out" would probably be the best solution for everyone in the community. Perhaps not for the "closet brony" immediately, but they will nonetheless play a large part in this whole issue. You are not fully expected to follow through with this of course, as we all have our own likes and dislikes, and can choose what we want to say and such, but speaking out against discrimination for liking things "made for girls" is standing up for not only women, but for the developers and the rest of the brony fanbase. It is just hard to stand up for things that are considered "unnatural" by many of your peers, the public, and society in general, is all. It does make you wonder if you are truly "normal", because so many people have elected that this is indeed not something you should be liking, but proving them all wrong might definitely serve you great purpose.

Edited by Devin McCourty
  • Brohoof 5

Maybe there's a regional difference between the OP and respondents of this thread.

I, for one, think the majority of American society sucks and is cruelly judgmental and close-minded and would ridicule bronies.

I don't know, so I'll ask, how's the feeling of European societies? Are Europeans more open-minded to this or are they as bad as America?

• Brohoof 1

Wear a shirt.

Unfortunately, I don't have any MLP merch whatsoever. But I'll hope I see another brony or two, and if I do, I'll try to get them to join here!

Maybe there's a regional difference between the OP and respondents of this thread.

I, for one, think the majority of American society sucks and is cruelly judgmental and close-minded and would ridicule bronies.

I don't know, so I'll ask, how's the feeling of European societies? Are Europeans more open-minded to this or are they as bad as Amareica?

Europeans are just about the same. An ocean apart in location, an inch away in mindset.

I don't know, so I'll ask, how's the feeling of European societies? Are Europeans more open-minded to this or are they as bad as America?

Mostly, they accept it here. But still, I couldn't turn my teacher into a brony for some reason :/

Mostly, they accept it here. But still, I couldn't turn my teacher into a brony for some reason :/

Maybe that's the reason why bronies are not well respected. They push out their interests too hard upon others, and get a negative reactive response.

• Brohoof 5

Well I'm homosexual, a brony and happen to be fond of the colour Pink I'm pesonaly open about being a Brony but I see the appeal of "being in the closet" My High School was full of Intolerance, bullying and violence I was bullied on a daily basis and was once attacked randomly for almost no reason whatsoever and I was the shy person in the back of the class I can easily imagine someone facing a good amount of violence and hatred if they dared to wear a My little Pony shirt in that place.