Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I want to start a mlp analysis YouTube series. Any ideas on getting started?

greasebrony2

1. Decide what you think about something or somepony from the show, and talk about them using your unique point of view.

2. For practical purposes, try a more simple approach at first to figure out what you can do and like to do. Antony C's style is different from Dr. Wolf's, and MLP Silver-Quill is different than both of them. And how you present your material will be different as well but it helps to look at what others have done to try and figure out what your approach would be. Examples: Would you like to focus on a simple audio presentation with visual aids, do you want to have an OC of you own (there are free request shops on this site, might want to ask a user if they would make an OC you can use for your channel) with clips and the like interspersed with your dialogue, or would you like to just do a straight video of yourself talking about what your topic is?

3. Think! Be sure that whatever you are talking about, you've given a good deal of time to observe and stew over the information. A really well thought out discussion and vid that takes weeks to make is better than one that is just thrown together every week. Although there are people that can do both, but they will probably tell you they have practiced their unique process, so they can do good quality vids in a high volume.

Hope that helps, and good luck :)

• Brohoof 1

Avoid episode recaps and reviews. There's already an oversaturation of those. Try to tackle new subjects, analyse fan works and music, the communities relation to other fandoms or even explain elaborate headcannons you have.

• Brohoof 2

Don't even bother. But if you insist, definitely do something that makes you stand out as there's already enough ranting narcissists stroking their own egos with their glorious intelligence.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

1) Be original. Episode reviews and analysis is an over saturated market, which is less likely to get you noticed. People are turned off when someone has exactly the same content as someone else. I can search, for example, "Sleepless in Ponyville analysis" on YouTube and find a ton of them, and they all are about the same. Something I suggest is moving away from the show and more towards the fandom side.

2) nOC. Having an OC is fine, I have one myself, but be careful when using your OC. Never put it in the thumbnail is my advice, but if you do, don't make it the focal point. I can't count how many different thumbnails I've seen that consist of the same three things, an OC, an Equestrian meadow, and a screen shot of the episode. Also, if you use one, stay away from PonyCreator. They look out of place and cheap. My advice would be to stay away from them in general.

3) EDIT EDIT EDIT: If you only listen to one thing, this should be it. Edit your videos. A lot of people will just take the three objects above, record their thoughts, and just leave it be. DONT DO THIS. Even if you aren't doing anything with the video, your voice will need editing. Edit out things like "Well," Umm," and other things you wouldn't want to hear in the video. Its also extremely helpful to have a script ready for recording. You can fond plenty of tutorials on the web for editing.

4) Invest: I watch a lot of gaming on YouTube, and one mistake people make is they will try to get wine on a beer budget, or they try to make good content and do everything right, but their equipment holds them back and hinders video quality. If you are doing commentaries over a screen, make sure to have a good microphone to do it with. Think a Snowball or something like that. If you are going to blog your thoughts, consider investing in a high quality camera or webcam. Paleo is a good example with quality, for example. Basically, if you want your channel to be successful, it will take some investment on your part. You don't have to have golden microphones and movie quality cameras just yet, but keep in mind you at least need a decent start.

5) Copyright: We know YouTube. We know they are quick with the Copyright button. Here's some tips for keeping that nasty copyright virus away.

NEVER use video from the show.

Stills from the show shouldn't take up the video.

I hope I could help you out.

Edit: Also, newer Smart phones have a decent camera for vloging.

Edited by FaZe Vinyl

Don't even bother. But if you insist, definitely do something that makes you stand out as there's already enough ranting narcissists stroking their own egos with their glorious intelligence.

I'd have to agree. I don't really know why we need people explaining the show to us or that there's not a glut of these people anyways but just realize that it's likely being done already and with someone who's figured out how to do it and well. Jumping in now seems way too late unless you offer something that isn't being done already.

• Brohoof 1

....I've got it! All the help/learning you'll need can be acquired by the internet's only pegasister reviewer! Follow her example :comeatus:.