Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Which games feature character-originating voice chat?

Dowlphin

I couldn't find an answer to this using a web search.

I thought of an awesome feature in gaming again and I'm sure it has been used somewhere, and I'm actually surprised it's not more popular.

So which games do you know of that feature voice chat that is sent, not to all players equally, but (at least optionally) played like a sound effect originating from your character?

I'd imagine this would be awesome fun especially for immersive roleplaying / hobby voice acting in Team Fortress 2. Imagine you could say "Put dispenser here!" or any other line you like, in a voice of your own choosing.

It would also make the voice chat aspect of the gameplay much more realistic and thus immersive, and it might even encourage voice acting in the creative community not unlike Source Filmmaker encourages video creation.

Seriously... why isn't this the norm by now?! FUN! FUN! FUN!

(Depending on feedback, I might ask this on a Steam group later. Just not sure which.)

Character originating voice chat? Hmm ... I do believe the Arma games have what you're looking for (Arma 2 and Arma 3 anyways, not sure about the previous). They're military simulation/tactical shooter games, amazing and addicting IMO. :wub:

They call it 'direct communications', one of the chat channels in the game, which is exactly what you're describing (assuming I'm reading correctly, I just woke up :P). You switch to that channel, say something through the mic, and it plays from your in-game position. How loud other people's speech is, depends on how close you are (eventually you hear nothing, if you go too far, obviously). Really cool, I'd honestly use it more often, hell I would only use direct comms, but 1. I don't play online, and 2. When I do, it's with my siblings, and they'd probably be kinda annoyed by that. ;) It would be pretty intense though! Since you can't simply call out to someone on the other side of the island. :lol:

DayZ has that. Other players have to be in a ceratin range for them to hear you, and if their too far, your voice is faint. I don't really know any more games like that. Except Arma and Arma 2, like Sir Jackleberry said.

• Brohoof 1

@Sir Jackleberry

I looked them up on Wikipedia. Personally I'd definitely not enjoy playing Arma 2/3. The story synopses read like those games were funded by the Pentagon.

@Lunatic Envy

I wouldn't have expected that a third party voice chat tool could tie into a game process like that. Although I guess it means it works only for those who use it, i.e. a mere added limitation on the regular voice chat.

• Brohoof 1

@Sir Jackleberry

I looked them up on Wikipedia. Personally I'd definitely not enjoy playing Arma 2/3. The story synopses read like those games were funded by the Pentagon.

@Lunatic Envy

I wouldn't have expected that a third party voice chat tool could tie into a game process like that. Although I guess it means it works only for those who use it, i.e. a mere added limitation on the regular voice chat.

True, but if you wanted to use it for RP it probably wouldn't be too difficult to get a group together to use it, since is a free app.

It's also extensible, so someone will probably make it work with something like Legends of Equestria or similar. That would be pretty amazing imo.

Personally I don't enjoy planned roleplaying at all. It's my Pinkie Pie nature. RP for me is like an extension of my personality. I might do it when people least expect it, and then I enjoy it the most.

• Brohoof 1