Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Some brony haters are more decent people than some bronies

Dowlphin

(edited)

Wanted to say this. To maybe make you pause and meditate.

It's based on my own experiences.

There is a staunch brony hater who calls me his friend and says he respects me.
He never hurt me. ... Maybe because I don't expect much from him.

But is it wrong to expect at least a minimum amount of decency from a fan of a show like MLP that conveys certain values and is so full of inspiring beauty?

There are self-proclaimed bronies who I, without trying to exaggerate, can only describe as vile scum, fervently perverting everything the show stands for. Sometimes their amount of denial and lack of self-awareness is borderline comical.

Dan Vs. might be another show on The Hub, but when you think "brony", an image of Dan would be among the last things popping into your head, no?

I know, I should expect these things. But it's still saddening.

Your thoughts and/or experiences you'd like to share?

Edited by Dowlphin
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Some just watch the show; others take something from it.

There's no reason to think someone who watches a good show is a good person. Just as watching sarcastic/absurd programming wouldn't limit you to being that way.

Also, someone with self-proclaimed hate of a show like mlp has either misguided frustration at fervent fans and/or has their own issues to contend with.

Edited by Starlight Sky
  • Brohoof 1

People are far too complex to say that one aspect (like an opinion on an IP) determines whether someone is a decent person.

Also, the definition of an Anti-Brony is elusive and subjective.

• Brohoof 1

Some just watch the show; others take something from it.

There's no reason to think someone who watches a good show is a good person. Just as watching sarcastic/absurd programming wouldn't limit you to being that way.

Yeah, OK, but there are people who actively act as if they cherish the show for its qualities, while taking a dump on it. I mean, if for example someone told you their heart is full of love and ponies, and they told you that while being vulgar and insulting you and saying your are worthless, wouldn't that puzzle you a little?

Also, someone with self-proclaimed hate of a show like mlp has either misguided frustration at fervent fans and/or has deeper issues to contend with.

Definitely, but I won't hold it against him. :-)

• Brohoof 1

I see what you mean.Not all brony haters bully the ones who like the show,they just hate the show itself.

however when you see those bronies who bully people for liking/not liking a character....yeah,the fandom can be very annoying

(edited)

Some bronies can be very vicious people, indeed, and possibly less accepting than some people in the anti-brony community. I love the brony haters who know how to keep it civil, and accept you for you. That's a real friend right there. :)

Edited by Princess PeachBlink

Humans are complex little creatures, no?

It's something that goes with groups. Some Christians will comment that some atheists or those of other faiths are better than their fellow Christians as people.

Expectations or not; it is what it is.

• Brohoof 2

Actually, Dan does pop into my head when I think of Bronies because of Pinkie Pie bedazzling his car.

On a serious note, I have never not had to deal with rude and vile people on the Internet, and they come from all walks of life, whether they're a dude on his parent's computer in a suburb, some rich kid with time to burn in his parents two story house, or some kid in a low income housing development. All of them can be rotten or good on the Internet, even if they like colorful ponies. Some people you disagree with might be better toward you than some people you agree with on something. It's a strange fact of human life.

• Brohoof 1

I see what you mean.Not all brony haters bully the ones who like the show,they just hate the show itself.

however when you see those bronies who bully people for liking/not liking a character....yeah,the fandom can be very annoying

Funnily, the brony hater I'm referring to does harass other bronies. Not really bully, it's more like intense trolling. We actually found each other when he tried to troll me on Youtube and that didn't work AT ALL. :lol:

Funnily, the brony hater I'm referring to does harass other bronies. Not really bully, it's more like intense trolling. We actually found each other when he tried to troll me on Youtube and that didn't work AT ALL. :lol:

that's...ironic.Well,at least he does in a troll way and doesnt mean personal hate...so,yeah.

...and that's confusing how?

Are we supposed to assume that all bronies are inherently good and all anti-bronies are scummy, horrible people? Just because bronies watch a show about friendship doesn't mean they're actually going to be friendly. Personally, I've met bronies who are... pretty nasty people. People aren't split into good and bad, into bronies and anti-bronies. Everyone's different.

Also, someone with self-proclaimed hate of a show like mlp has either misguided frustration at fervent fans and/or has their own issues to contend with.

Or maybe they simply just don't like the show.

• Brohoof 5

Yeah, OK, but there are people who actively act as if they cherish the show for its qualities, while taking a dump on it. I mean, if for example someone told you their heart is full of love and ponies, and they told you that while being vulgar and insulting you and saying your are worthless, wouldn't that puzzle you a little?

If they did a complete 180 on me, then maybe. Plenty of reasons come to mind though. They're purposely tarnishing the name of bronies, have conflicting agendas (maintain a certain image with others), enjoying the strange reactions of people they tell, bad habits, lack of impulse control, and so on.

Definitely, but I won't hold it against him. :-)

That's good :)  Some friends make playful jabs at me, and generally speak a bit crudely, but they're good people.

(edited)

Oh great is this another one of those holier than thou rants about how clop and grimdark are bad and everyone who enjoys them should supposedly be ashamed of themselves? Whether it is or isn't I still think this needs to be said. I am sick and tired of how so many bronies keep treating the fandom like a religion by putting it on a pedestal by expecting everyone to be perfect at all times and get butthurt when people either do things they don't agree with or a few jackasses do something stupid. There is so much focus on negatives both actual and is not only an annoyance has encouraged pointless bickering.

Another thing, please for the love of crap will you all stop calling people for whom MLP is simply not their cup of tea "haters"? Haters as in actual haters are people that actively go out of their way to hate on and troll bronies, there are indeed bronies who are scum but there are also bronies who are nice people which is something I can't really say for the true haters nearly all of which are a bunch of intollerant scum who take out their own securities about their sexuality and masculinity on others. Why the hell should I have respect for people who think I am an overgrown machild, gay or even a pedophile for watching a harmless cartoon? I may not troll them back because it only encourages them, but that dosen't mean that I have to like them. Until these people grow up I refuse to take anything they say seriously.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 14

Yay. Another thread concerning clopping and grimdark. Lovely.

Anyway, doesn't seem like your friend is a hater. Perhaps MLP just didn't appeal to him/her. Did he/she ever try to watch the show?

• Brohoof 2

Or maybe they simply just don't like the show.

Yeah...not liking it is completely different than hating. I considered that the OP could've meant that, but didn't bother pursuing it unless proven needed.

Since they've now mentioned it's largely playful trolling, I'd say "brony-hater" is kinda misleading. Besides, I only said someone with self-proclaimed hate had those troubles. No one was specified.

It really depends on the person I think I mean, if someone is a hateful brony and they still love the show regardless, then I believe that they have issues of their own, and it doesn't mean that all bronies are like that, just some, but it can make the fandom look bad, same thing with vice versa.

I've seen some bronies who are very kind, loving, and overall great people but, I've also seen some (on youtube mostly) whom, are very cruel people. Brony haters can not exactly like the fandom, but still be good people and have good values, as well as they can be really harsh, rude people and not have many values, again, I think a lot it really depends on the person.

• Brohoof 1

See, some people just like dark humour or have a very crude sense of humour. Some are just vulgar because that's just them. Being a brony isn't gonna change that at all. Being near other bronies won't necessarily make them act another way either (some may be better at controlling themselves than others, though). Im a damn good example of what you said above about one showing a sincere love of the show, but then can easily flip the script right around and just straight up rip you a new one for a multitude of reasons. The only difference in me is that I have enough control to not just do it without a good reason where others may not. Hell, my joking style would probably make your brain implode trying mix it with this supposed way of acting you're trying to say we should have (because it's literally nothing, but insults and vulgarity). I won't change that just because people think we have to only be one way at all times.

Also, ive come to notice that its now the cool thing to complain about bronies who are more on the mean side than cloppers. Ive seen so many threads about this in such a short time.

Like, can we really not complain about something that should already be expected for once? Is it really that hard?

(edited)

Yay. Another thread concerning clopping and grimdark. Lovely.

Anyway, doesn't seem like your friend is a hater. Perhaps MLP just didn't appeal to him/her. Did he/she ever try to watch the show?

I didn't bring clopping or grimdark up. As long as people care enough for others to not ram their stuff in people faces, I don't care much.

Said person did check out the show and said he doesn't like it (and that it's gay of course and that bronies are faggots who need to die). He has various other quite extreme views on certain things, but he's still capable of civillized conversation, and that's the common ground that works well between us.

Edited by Dowlphin

@@Dowlphin,

Wait. He said that we need to die... what? What sort of civilized conversations did he have with you? I mean, if you have some more common ground like you both like another show, sure, but i'm curious as to what you were conversing about.

• Brohoof 1

It's one thing to have an opinion about someone or something, but it's another to get riled up over and do some pretty nasty things.

• Brohoof 1

It's one thing to have an opinion about someone or something, but it's another to get riled up over and do some pretty nasty things.

that's exactly what I I mean ^^. I like some characters(and dislike others) too but I don't bully people for liking/not liking them

(edited)

@@Dowlphin,

Wait. He said that we need to die... what? What sort of civilized conversations did he have with you? I mean, if you have some more common ground like you both like another show, sure, but i'm curious as to what you were conversing about.

He mostly asks questions and I answer as best as I can. Being inquisitive like that is a character trait I have experienced way too little in my life. It is a sign of intelligence, of a willingness to allow new insights. Certain things might not sink in well in his case, but since I don't have an agenda to change him, it's fine with me. Acceptance is the first step in changing people, and respect is a good basis, too. Those qualities are way more important than details like odd beliefs and attitudes that only serve to divide. You gotta know how to not buy into those mind games. You become what you fight.

Edited by Dowlphin

Ever been to Tumblr? I've seen anti-bronies do horrible things that put even the worst fandumb(and even many breeds of hatedom) to shame. The things PinkiePony and her lackies alone have done could fill a pretty beefy rap-sheet. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Ever been to Tumblr? I've seen anti-bronies do horrible things that put even the worst fandumb(and even many breeds of hatedom) to shame. The things PinkiePony and her lackies alone have done could fill a pretty beefy rap-sheet. 

I haven't heard about PinkiePony. I guess I missed that episode of the fandom. Curiosity makes me ask for links that give me a primer about that.

Edited by Dowlphin