Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Some brony haters are more decent people than some bronies

Dowlphin

Said person did check out the show and said he doesn't like it (and that it's gay of course and that bronies are faggots who need to die). He has various other quite extreme views on certain things, but he's still capable of civillized conversation, and that's the common ground that works well between us.

None of this adds up to me, how do you know this isn't some elaborate attempt to troll you? There are some trolls that can pretend to carry on "civilized conversation" to meet their own ends, what makes this guy any different?

Oh great is this another one of those holier than thou rants about how clop and grimdark are bad and everyone who enjoys them should supposedly be ashamed of themselves? Whether it is or isn't I still think this needs to be said. I am sick and tired of how so many bronies keep treating the fandom like a religion by putting it on a pedestal by expecting everyone to be perfect at all times and get butthurt when people either do things they don't agree with or a few jackasses do something stupid. There is so much focus on negatives both actual and is not only an annoyance has encouraged pointless bickering.

Yes. Because no brony has ever said or done anything that was actually wrong. Ever.

Yay. Another thread concerning clopping and grimdark. Lovely.

Anyway, doesn't seem like your friend is a hater. Perhaps MLP just didn't appeal to him/her. Did he/she ever try to watch the show?

Are you aware of the garbage that this fandom has produced?

None of this adds up to me, how do you know this isn't some elaborate attempt to troll you? There are some trolls that can pretend to carry on "civilized conversation" to meet their own ends, what makes this guy any different?

Well, you'll just have to trust my intellect here. I can't explain it without writing a whole essay, but there's no reason to suspect that.

Yes. Because no brony has ever said or done anything that was actually wrong. Ever.

That is not at all what I said, plenty of bronies have done stupid and disrespectful things all I am saying is that we keep things in perspective by realizing there are bad apples in every bunch and to not go on moralistic crusades which condemn certain segments of the fandom for doing things they disagree with. And that no matter what bad apples do exist it still dosen't excuse the people who blindly hate on all bronies.

Yes, all fandoms produce that stuff and I and others have just as much right to decide to view that stuff as you do to decide not to view that stuff. It sucks that this stuff appears on google "safe search" but there are plenty of places that have good mature filters like deviantart, derpibooru and fimfiction.

• Brohoof 1

Said person did check out the show and said he doesn't like it (and that it's gay of course and that bronies are faggots who need to die). He has various other quite extreme views on certain things, but he's still capable of civillized conversation, and that's the common ground that works well between us.

No, he is not civilized at all if he can use that kind of language about anyone he doesn't know. Being civilized is not a point of view. You either are or are not.

I believe in the power of the individual. No show is going to determine who we are like. In my opinion, no proclaimed hater is good deep down. It's impossible. Hate comes from evil, not rational decency. The fact that they have chosen this path is part of the individual right.

• Brohoof 2

That is not at all what I said, plenty of bronies have done stupid and disrespectful things all I am saying is that we keep things in perspective by realizing there are bad apples in every bunch and to not go on moralistic crusades which condemn certain segments of the fandom for doing things they disagree with. And that no matter what bad apples do exist it still dosen't excuse the people who blindly hate on all bronies.

Yes, all fandoms produce that stuff and I and others have just as much right to decide to view that stuff as you do to decide not to view that stuff. It sucks that this stuff appears on google "safe search" but there are plenty of places that have good mature filters like deviantart, derpibooru and fimfiction.

This is just sad. I'm not referring to clop or R34. I'm referring to the numerous times that this show has been used as a tool of hate speech, which is wrong and doesn't require "moralistic crusades" to realize that it is.

Your patronization is just further evidence of your ignorance. If you could view anything in the appropriate context, you might understand. But clearly you never will.

No one is saying that. He was referring to people complaining about content they don't like(trust, about the 100th time you've heard someone bitch about something, you get the urge to defend it just out of spite)

Yes, but I'm also aware of the garbage other fandoms produce. Agony in Pink, anyone?

I haven't heard about PinkiePony. I guess I missed that episode of the fandom. Curiosity makes me ask for links that give me a primer about that.

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/pinkiegroany

This tag is a good start(especially Tena's posts about her)

This is just sad. I'm not referring to clop or R34. I'm referring to the numerous times that this show has been used as a tool of hate speech, which is wrong and doesn't require "moralistic crusades" to realize that it is.

Your patronization is just further evidence of your ignorance. If you could view anything in the appropriate context, you might understand. But clearly you never will.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuh

Dude, I lost track of the amount of ANTI-BRONY feminists that use the show to promote misandric hate-speech long ago.  

• Brohoof 2

I actually an annoyed by dA's maturity filter. Certain things are clearly only intended for a mature audience (unmistakably sexually suggestive), but not considered covered under the 'official definition' of mature content. Thus, I put certain people on the block list, but then had to realize that that block list isn't even consulted during searches, and that combined with some people being jerks and mistagging their pictures. I had a discussion with dA support about cases like this and they generally are very uncaring and borderline insulting in their reactions. There was one case where someone who specializes in naughty pony pictures had his stuff appear in totally unrelated searches, and I didn't want to see it, but I couldn't do anything about it.

So much for deviantART.

No, he is not civilized at all if he can use that kind of language about anyone he doesn't know. Being civilized is not a point of view. You either are or are not.

I believe in the power of the individual. No show is going to determine who we are like. In my opinion, no proclaimed hater is good deep down. It's impossible. Hate comes from evil, not rational decency. The fact that they have chosen this path is part of the individual right.

People can act differently in different situations and with different people. They can also be torn, parts of them acting one way, other parts another way. You would not be able to handle people like the brony hater I speak of, because you take certain parameters to form an all-encompassing judgment.

And "evil" is a very vague and highly moralistic concept. Hate comes from fear.

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/pinkiegroany

This tag is a good start(especially Tena's posts about her)

Got no Tumblr account. Won't show me anything.

Phrases like "are you aware of the garbage this fandom produces?" are very easily misinterpreted especially when people don't clarify what kind of "garbage" they are talking about so it is kind of on you for not being a bit clearer on this.

• Brohoof 1

Phrases like "are you aware of the garbage this fandom produces?" are very easily misinterpreted especially when people don't clarify what kind of "garbage" they are talking about so it is kind of on you for not being a bit clearer on this.

Just assume that I am intelligent enough not to judge people based on what they do in private. Is it really so hard to believe that I have legitimate reasons for my posts?

(edited)
Funnily, the brony hater I'm referring to does harass other bronies. Not really bully, it's more like intense trolling.

That anti-brony you met is the perfect definition of an asshole!

When anyone uses such prejudicial language to describe not just the show, but also the fandom, that guy is nowhere close to the "intelligent" being you claim to believe. Trolling isn't cute or funny. It's a form of bullying. There's a line before you can chuck the concept of love and tolerance out the door, and trolling bronies via homophobia blatantly crosses the line.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 5

But is it wrong to expect at least a minimum amount of decency from a fan of a show like MLP

You're expecting decency out of a human. See that is your first problem you think that just because a person like MLP that means that they're going to be a nice decent person. Well guess what nobody is a decent person, doesn't matter if they're in the peace corp., a social justice activist, or Brony, all humans are assholes. It also depends on a lot of things like some people are only indecent to certain other people, or in certain situations, etc., but over all everybody is a jerk.

You're expecting decency out of a human. See that is your first problem you think that just because a person like MLP that means that they're going to be a nice decent person. Well guess what nobody is a decent person, doesn't matter if they're in the peace corp., a social justice activist, or Brony, all humans are assholes. It also depends on a lot of things like some people are only indecent to certain other people, or in certain situations, etc., but over all everybody is a jerk.

That generalization might cause you a lot of pain. Yeah, I guess people do that to avoid pain by not having any expectations or hopes, but its downside neutralizes it.

I didn't bring clopping or grimdark up. As long as people care enough for others to not ram their stuff in people faces, I don't care much.

Civilized conversation or not, "bronies are faggots and need to die" is a pretty damn extreme point of view.

I don't know what you're trying to get at here. If this isn't about clop or grimdark, what IS this about? Some bronies are bad apples, sure. Every group has them. How does that make us worse than a group of people whose purpose is to specifically hate something and the people that like it? I guess I'm just confused because you are talking about bronies that are vile, but the example of the anti brony who is a good guy actually seems like an asshole. Using terms like "faggot" and telling people they need to die is inherently being a bully.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)
There are self-proclaimed bronies who I, without trying to exaggerate, can only describe as vile scum, fervently perverting everything the show stands for. Sometimes their amount of denial and lack of self-awareness is borderline comical.

You're painting things with a very broad brush, here. What, in your eyes, qualifies someone as "vile scum"? You said you weren't talking about clop or grimdark, but by "perverting everything the show stands for", that seems to be the only conclusion I can draw. Sure, there are some bronies who are really overzealous and shove the show down people's throats, but I wouldn't qualify them as vile scum. There are also the 4chan "troll bronies" who could qualify as vile scum, but they're far from making up even a remote majority of us.

And then there are the brony haters who, almost invariably, use homosexuality and autism as weapons. (Very cowardly weapons that show extreme ignorance of both.) Yeah, can you explain to me what exactly is "decent" about them? Even compared to the worst of the worst bronies? Unless you're lumping "non-bronies" in the same category as "brony haters", which is painting the other side with too broad a brush.

I'm not trying to put the heat on you here, I'm just saying that this debate can get incredibly confusing if you don't concretely define all your terms from the get-go.

Edited by Thrash
  • Brohoof 4

*blows raspberry*

That's my response to the misguided point you're trying to make.

Your friend doesn't seem like a nice guy at all. Seems like a c*ckbag, really, and not because he doesn't like the show, but because he makes it a bleeding point that he doesn't like it and trolls those who do.

So the f*ck what if some bronies are "mean" and "hurt your little feelings".

This is the internet, friend, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who isn't an a$$hole in their own, unique, snowflake way. I, for one, go off on people who make stupid, causative threads.

• Brohoof 1

@

Are you aware of the wonders the fandom has produced? Fallout: Equestria, The Immortal Game, Turnabout Storm, Legends of Equestria, Minty Fresh Adventure, Anthropology, etc. Yes, there is a ton of garbage, but there is a shit ton of amazing works too.

• Brohoof 1

That generalization might cause you a lot of pain. Yeah, I guess people do that to avoid pain by not having any expectations or hopes, but its downside neutralizes it.

Cause me pain how so? "Oh darn, this guy wasn't a complete dick... what a loss" I always say expect everything to be horrible and when it isn't be pleasantly surprised.

PSA: Not all bronies are Saint's 

Being a brony doesn't mean you will be inherently nice,tho i will say that compared to some other fandoms,overall bronies are a lot nicer by comparison. Still,that doesn't mean we are all angels or in my case,sane.

Also you're friend sounds like a asshole. 

• Brohoof 2

Cause me pain how so? "Oh darn, this guy wasn't a complete dick... what a loss" I always say expect everything to be horrible and when it isn't be pleasantly surprised.

When you believe that everybody is a jerk, that belief shapes your actions and perception of people, and generalizations are almost always inaccurate.

When you believe that everybody is a jerk, that belief shapes your actions and perception of people, and generalizations are almost always inaccurate.

All generalizations are false! Wait...

• Brohoof 1

Sadly a fair amount of bronies have social anxiety issues, have been bullied over their beliefs, and may frankly be immature people. Humans come with a lot of baggage and bronies sadly are not that different, in fact we may have more personal issues then the average human. I think we shouldn't be afraid to point out when one of our own our acting like a jerk to our other peers but let's not otherwise paint with a wide brush that we're bad people like some people indicate. There's a lot of bad apples out there (egotism i find being the most obnoxious attribute in some) but we still have some wonderful people who understand the ethics and themes of the show within our own community.  

• Brohoof 1

But is it wrong to expect at least a minimum amount of decency from a fan of a show like MLP that conveys certain values and is so full of inspiring beauty?

There are self-proclaimed bronies who I, without trying to exaggerate, can only describe as vile scum, fervently perverting everything the show stands for.

Philisophical factor : 7.2

There will always be people that we have dislikes for, or if we do not aggree with the things that they do. But we have to accept people for their likes and dislikes, Some mega irony is coming from your story, A brony hater and a brony being friends, makes me think that he is a closet brony, or he has at leased see the show. The vile self-proclaimed bronies are obviously something that I detest with a passion, I feel as if some people have ruined the innocence of the show with incessive clop material. *Shudders*

>_> 

So I agree with you, but remember that there are non-bronies and non-brony haters that are also vile scum. People will never change, Its just the ones we chose to stand with.

You're painting things with a very broad brush, here. 

I think it was a 31/32", possibly bristle or plastic.

• Brohoof 1

Well not everyone is a saint, it's okay to point out the problems that a lot of haters have and to be fair both sides don't exactly have decent people. Brony haters just troll and they really come to a lot of absurd assumptions about us, while most bronies add more fuel to the fire. Even if we agree with what we do, there are still people who are against it.