Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is the Crystal Empire the Paris of Equestria?

~ Dr. Ocsid ~

(edited)

When I watched this episode a few weeks ago, I found some similarities to Paris. Here is a list:

1. Love

Definitely the strongest similarity: Both Cities are associated with love.

2.Large Tower

This was the first similarity I saw: The Crystal Tower resembles the Eiffel Tower in Paris:

Both are very high and thin, have four "legs" and there is a viewing point reached by a monstrous amount of stairs.

3.A dark secret beneath

Paris has its Catacombs, the Empire of Death, and the Crystal Empire has Sombras´ Door of Fear.

4.Apple Pie

Both cities are famous for an apple pie, the one of the Crystal Empire seen at the Crystal Fair, and the Parisian one being "Tarte Tatín", which is absolutly delicious by the way, containing apples and caramel.

5.That fight at the Crystal Fair

I don´t know what it is in English, but this way of fighting is nearly similar to one that was quite popular in middle-ages-Europe, and therefore also Paris.

6.Revolution

This might be a bit farfetched, but in both cities, the people killed their king: The Parisians during the French Revolution and the Crystal Ponies by activating the Crystal Heart.

What do you think about this?

Have you found some other similarities?

Edit: And please don´t post something along the lines of "No, i isn´t Paris, since Equestria is another universe" or something like that. Of course I don´t think the Crystal Empire actually is Paris, just that it represents Paris, just like Manehattan represents New York.

Edited by YetAnotherDiscord
  • Brohoof 2

I always though the Crystal Empire was a Minas Terith kinda ripoff, what with its segmented city with a giant tower in the middle.

But you do draw some pretty nice comparisons, even if the show staff didn't put them in intentionally. (as "Prance" has been mentioned before in the show, as Equestria's version of france)

• Brohoof 1

When I watched this episode a few weeks ago, I found some similarities to Paris. Here is a list:

1. Love

Definitely the strongest similarity: Both Cities are associated with love.

2.Large Tower

This was the first similarity I saw: The Crystal Tower resembles the Eiffel Tower in Paris:

Both are very high and thin, have four "legs" and there is a viewing point reached by a monstrous amount of stairs.

3.A dark secret beneath

Paris has its Catacombs, the Empire of Death, and the Crystal Empire has Sombras´ Door of Fear.

4.Apple Pie

Both cities are famous for an apple pie, the one of the Crystal Empire seen at the Crystal Fair, and the Parisian one being "Tarte Tatín", which is absolutly delicious by the way, containing apples and caramel.

5.That fight at the Crystal Fair

I don´t know what it is in English, but this way of fighting is nearly similar to one that was quite popular in middle-ages-Europe, and therefore also Paris.

6.Revolution

This might be a bit farfetched, but in both cities, the people killed their king: The Parisians during the French Revolution and the Crystal Ponies by activating the Crystal Heart.

What do you think about this?

Have you found some other similarities?

Unfortunately it is not Paris. Canterlot, Ponyville and the Crystal Empire are stand alone and independent to our world cities. The MLP app has a new map containing almost all of equestria. You should check it out.

Unfortunately it is not Paris. Canterlot, Ponyville and the Crystal Empire are stand alone and independent to our world cities. The MLP app has a new map containing almost all of equestria. You should check it out.

I didn´t mean it that way; I meant that the Crystal Empire represents Paris, the same way Manehattan represents New York.

I´ll change it in the OP.

I didn´t mean it that way; I meant that the Crystal Empire represents Paris, the same way Manehattan represents New York.

I´ll change it in the OP.

I know. I meant that the Crystal Empire is completely irrelevant to Paris and does not represent it.

(edited)

It may be because I lived in Paris for a few months recently, but when I watched the episode, I was completely sure that it indeed represents Paris.

Also, If you put together love, a large four-legged tower, and apple pie, which city comes to your mind?

What about that map? I don´t have a smartphone, so I can´t look it up. Could you post a link to an image of it?

And is this map canon?

Edited by YetAnotherDiscord

@, Couldn't find one online yet, so I went ahead and made one. Was a PITA getting all three screenshots without any clouds in them. But I did it!  :muffins:

It's neat for sure, but no clue what it would have to do with the topic. City location in Equestria would have no leverage on what real life city they might be based on.

post-9221-0-23759900-1403378600_thumb.png

• 4 months later...

Definetly!I don't doubt that the crystar empire represent paris.

Y'must assume that there are many french references in the fim world.

Edited by Monsieur Noel

I always thought it represented some part of Canada. I think Equestria is supposed to roughly represent North America which you can tell by areas of climates and the location of the cities which emulate real life cities.

1000px-Map_of_Equestria_online_version_2

Edited by Frostgage

In Suited For Success, Rarity acts like she clawed her way out of Hill Billy Hell (AKA Ponyville) into the Bright & Glowing Center Of The Universe (AKA Canterlot)  Since Rarity is a fashionista, that would make Canterlot = Paris.

You make some good points.  Maybe Canterlot = Rome (Princess C = Pope?) & CC = Paris.  But, if it is Paris, where are the artists? (Equestria seems to have been spared mimes)

I have to disagree.

Sure, while some similarities exist, I can't that that means the Crystal Empire represents France. If anything, as someone else mentioned, it reminds me more of Minas Tirith. It just seems like more of a representation of fantasy nations as opposed to real life cities.

Going on Manehatten, I can see that being as sort of an amalgamation of New York & Paris; maybe.