Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sheogorath

It is always thrown around, that word "freedom" it is defended, it is spoken highly of, but people do not really seem to understand what it is. Freedom is not just an excuse to invade another country, or a name for a product when you want to sell it to gun toting wannabe patriots.

Human nature is chained behind stigmas, lines drawn in water. Everyone is forced in form and freedom is limited to what is "acceptable". It takes only one to step outside of the line and do what is right, to break the line and release everyone from this line they are supposed to follow.

Like with bronies, they are scorned because they practice their freedom to step outside of the line and like things that were not labeled for them. They feel enabled to act, and like their eyes have been opened by the first act of courage they took almost unwittingly.

These people crossed one line, they broke free, and same can be done in all levels of life.

Freedom is not only right to vote in your elections, but the courage to act according to what feels right.

Exercise your freedom by helping your fellow men and women, extend your hand in friendship when someone looks like they need a friend, bring love to there where is fear, tolerance to there where is ignorance, kindness to there where is hate and you then truly are free.

• Brohoof 9

Freedom and individual liberty has, is, and never will be more than one generation away from extinction; we cannot inherit it, nor pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be perpetually fought for, protected, and handed on in the form of a criterion for the next generation to do the same.

• Brohoof 1

Well said, however at this point in time many of us wont experience true freedom since it is much easier to look the other way and accept it as the norm. Sad, but maybe there's still hope for that sweet freedom in the future, cheers.

Freedom should only be limitted to to the individual, and the freedoms of one person should not infringe on the freedoms of others. However social stigmatization of any kinds of more fringe groups is in direct violation of that philosophy.

Think of all the groups, like bronies, atheists in America, homosexuality in religion, all these groups have their freedom of expression taken away by the masses who dominate what they believe is right and wrong. And often times they will employ crude social engineering to drive these groups away.

No one should fall before neigh sayers. We must tolerate them and hope they wish to grant us the same courtesy.

Freedom should only be limitted to to the individual, and the freedoms of one person should not infringe on the freedoms of others. However social stigmatization of any kinds of more fringe groups is in direct violation of that philosophy.

Think of all the groups, like bronies, atheists in America, homosexuality in religion, all these groups have their freedom of expression taken away by the masses who dominate what they believe is right and wrong. And often times they will employ crude social engineering to drive these groups away.

No one should fall before neigh sayers. We must tolerate them and hope they wish to grant us the same courtesy.

And what do you say about online freedom?

And what do you say about online freedom?

Online freedom should work in the same way, everyone should be free to express themselves as they want to. But they shouldn't purposely try to degrade people for it. Insulting someone technically counts as infriging on their rights, so yelling at someone over XBox Live is wrong. calling someone a furfag is wrong.

Because not only are people who do this aiding social stigmatization, they are being intolerant and forcing their beliefs onto others.

• Brohoof 1

Lucifer started it and asked weird and ambiguous questions. :(

Ya, he tends to do stuff like that :o

"And the Lord God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat" Genesis 3:13

Rofl Tich, you get your excuses from the Book of Genesis? :o

Edited by Lady Rarity Pony

freedom

1. the state of being free or at liberty rather than in confinement or under physical restraint

2. exemption from external control, interference, regulation, etc.

3. the power to determine action without restraint.

Well, I don't know about you, but that doesn't seem like reality to me.

civil rights

The rights belonging to an individual by virtue of citizenship (privilege)

That's more like what we have.

human rights

The rights of individuals to liberty, justice, etc.

Seeing as we don't have freedom (the state of liberty), we don't really have a right to it, so we don't have human rights either.

In conclusion: You're not free; your government decides what you have the "right" to do.

there is no freedom. You think you are free when you choose to watch MLP, but truth is, you are only watching a show you were given, amongst some other few, but your few options are infact being controled.

Everything from our own bodies to the universe is a prison. We just gotta acept that

I love MLP Forums. Here is a thread about freedom. In it, people talk about political freedom, personal freedom, and free software licenses. I am constantly awed by how diverse the members of this site are. That is one of the reasons that I like this place so much. I find that I am constantly challenged to adopt different ways of looking at the world.

there is no freedom. You think you are free when you choose to watch MLP, but truth is, you are only watching a show you were given, amongst some other few, but your few options are infact being controled.

Everything from our own bodies to the universe is a prison. We just gotta acept that

Well, I think that you are right, but I also think that you may be wrong at the same time.

You see, there really seems to be two types of freedom. There is the freedom to make choices between alternative paths, and then there is the freedom to choose any possible path - even those that are not possible.

I think that you are right when you say that the choice to watch MLP is only one of a limited number of choices you could make at that time. I also think that you are right when you say that the very laws of the universe impose limits on our actions.

The choice to watch MLP is one of a limited set of paths that you could have chosen. However, it is still a choice that you can make. After all, you could have just taken a nap or ate a snack instead. Rather than doing these things, though, you made a conscious decision to watch MLP. This seems to suggest that your choices may be limited but your ability to choose remains intact.

Maybe freedom in the sense that you describe it is not a one dimensional concept? Maybe there are two dimensions of freedom?

In this case, the first dimension of freedom is simply one of liberty. How free are you to choose from the paths that are available to you? After all, if your government decided to turn off power to your city, then this would prevent you from doing things that you would have otherwise been able to do without the interference.

Then, perhaps the second dimension of freedom is one of possibility. Some things are just plain impossible. Or, at least they appear to be at that time. For example, you could not decide that you wanted to go to Saturn to watch MLP instead of watching MLP here on Earth. Or, if we were in the 1800s, you could not even make the decision to watch MLP at all.

Actually, I like thinking of freedom in this way. Think about it. It is almost like it separates freedom into a short-term type of freedom and a long-term type of freedom. In the short term, any given individual is limited to the things that they can do using the resources that they have at their disposal. However, in the long term, society will progress and new possibilities will become available for all people.

Probably, in the future, it may actually be possible to watch MLP on Saturn. Which would mean that people would have more "freedom" than we do now in terms of having more options available to them.

Edited by Scootacool

I'll direct you to how I view Freedom. These are the three rules of freedom.

1. Do whatever you want.

2. Do not do what will cause harm to another individual*

3. Rule #2 always overrides Rule #1.

*If what you did caused emotional harm because the individual is like Fox News and will explode if there's anything that isn't scrubbed clean, just give them the middle finger. That's not harm, that's idiocy.

Yeah, do what you want. Go do drugs, drink booze. Just make sure it doesn't harm another individual. It's your life, you can ruin your body if you want. With Rule #2 in place, it makes it so that you can screw up your own life as much as you can without ruining someone else. Bad actions have their own consequence that any sane person can rationalize. No need to add punishment to them.

Freedom is not a true thing without discipline: Choice does not equal Freedom.

If a cellist decides to practice his playing, he is free to stop and join his buddies for a pint. Or he can practice. And practice. And practice, exercising discipline in his effort to better himself, and then one day he's a famous virtuoso, who's freedom in expression and ability knows fewer bounds than his basement playing when he were younger.

• Brohoof 1

I think "freedom" in the way we know it is defined by your social group. You can do what you want but only if there is no harm or breaking of social rules. In my opinion we gave away "true freedom" for security.

"True freedom" in my book is the possibility to do everything that is possible that is in your power: help someone, maim, comfort, kill, be nice, etc. But for living in a group you can not have it, you must be limited by rules and customs.

For me you can have "true freedom" whenever and wherever you want but you must accept the consequences of your actions.