Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think of freedom of speech?

OG CHUCK

I was see in what happen in france and I was thinkin freedom of speech it worth it

What do you think of freedom of speech ?

You free to comment I dont judge

I think yes but with respect to other people and religion

Edited by Wingnut
Edited title
  • Brohoof 1

This, pretty much. People should never feel that they are having words put into their mouth or silenced before they're spoken, but they should still aim to use their freedom more for benefit than to ignite conflict. Just as they should be open for their point of view to be challenged respectfully, they should also hold others views- just as subjective as their own- as a valid look on the complex matter known as life.

It is very easy to defend speech you like and approve of, even Hitler did that but to fight for speech you despise is a whole nother thing entirely. There are a lot of things I disagree with and even despise but if that speech isn't protected than neither is mine or anyone elses. There are a lot of jackasses that abuse it but I would much rather live with the consequences of that than have this most basic freedom taken away.

• Brohoof 9

Freedom of Speech is an awesome right to have. We should be able to keep it for as long as humans live. It is always worth fighting for.

Screw religious views of Muslims extremists because they are terrorists and murders. Terrorists aren't welcome in this world. They need to suck it up or go ruin someone else's planet.  :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 3

Freedom of speech isn't for the protection of speech you like, it's to protect speech you don't like.  

I'm Korean.  You have every right to criticize Koreans, even make racist jokes at my expense.  And I have every right to be offended, to hate you, and to yell and scream about what you said is terribly offensive and racist.  I have no right to assault or kill you for it.  

That said, there's more nuance to the situation than most people make it out to be.  Government has no right to silence you, and no one can bully, threaten, or assault you into silence, but private property or industry?  That's a little different.

• Brohoof 3

I think people forget the fact that just because you have the freedom of speech that doesn't mean there are no consequences. Freedom of speech only means that you cannot be legally persecuted for the things you say but says nothing about how people will react to it.

• Brohoof 2

Freedom of Speech is acceptable as long as the speech itself is not intended to be harmful in my opinion and people should try to not abuse it to spread hate. People should be open minded to a point where offensive comments will be near gone.

The freedom to express one's self without reserve should be without qualification. However, when someone damages another person or violates another of their rights through the use of this freedom, they should have to make amends (talking about things like libel, invasion of privacy, etc. here).

I know that freedom of speech isn't protected in the UK, so it would be interesting to get their opinion on this.

• Brohoof 1

You have a right to say whatever you want no matter how vile or stupid or distasteful. There are no sacred cows.

More to the point of recent events in France. I find the very idea that a bunch of immigrants can come into a host country under the good will of asylum and then turn around and try to tell that country how it should act, and then threaten it with violence and terrorize the local population when they don't get their way absolutely sick and appalling. The French people have been entirely to generous by letting any of the third world rabble that comes along in to stay and now they're paying the price for their naivety, if any French men gives a damn about the future of their people, their country, and there heritage they need to send the immigrants back where they came from. All these people overrunning not just France but all of Europe need to go back and fix there own countries and stop ruining everyone else's.

• Brohoof 3

God, I love the first amendment.

The day we let some bleeding heart special snowflake cannibalize the English language and remove everything they find offensive is the day I finally give up on this planet.

• Brohoof 4

There shouldn't be any limitations on freedom of speech. However: deliberately seeking out people and verbally harass them is a completely different issue. For example: I do think that you have the right to express bigoted views, but not to seek out and verbally harass those that are the subject of your bigotry.

free_speech.png

Edited by Azatrot
  • Brohoof 5

I totally believe in freedom of speech, but you should be careful, because if you say something wrong there is no guarantees that somebody may get offended. Though I don't think they should've made fun of Islam, or any religion for that matter, they are allowed freedom of speech

• Brohoof 1

Freedom of speech is too often misinterpreted as a way to spew hate without consequences, which contradicts the entire purpose of freedom. Unfortunately this is very common with old, vague laws and concepts.

• Brohoof 2

I was see in what happen in france and I was thinkin freedom of speech it worth it

What do you think of freedom of speech ?

You free to comment I dont judge

Some terrorists shot up an editory office in Paris because they didn't like their magazine's contents. So maybe we should listen to the terrorists, and stop printing things they may find offensive?

Hell no, then the terrorists would have won. What the terrorists wanted, was to stop the offensive drawings, but it had the opposite effect. Even more papers and magazines started publishing them in protest. And that is exactly what we must do in such a situation, we must flip the bird at them and show that we have the right to express ourselves, and we don't give a shit about their feelings.

You have a right to say whatever you want no matter how vile or stupid or distasteful. There are no sacred cows.

More to the point of recent events in France. I find the very idea that a bunch of immigrants can come into a host country under the good will of asylum and then turn around and try to tell that country how it should act, and then threaten it with violence and terrorize the local population when they don't get their way absolutely sick and appalling. The French people have been entirely to generous by letting any of the third world rabble that comes along in to stay and now they're paying the price for their naivety, if any French men gives a damn about the future of their people, their country, and there heritage they need to send the immigrants back where they came from. All these people overrunning not just France but all of Europe need to go back and fix there own countries and stop ruining everyone else's.

Now of course, this does not apply to all or most immigrants. But those who come to another country and get a better life there, and then complain about the country's values, then I think they oughta go back where they came from.

• Brohoof 2

I think freedom of speech, or to do anything else, is a great thing. My only condition is that it should not be taken too far. Of course, "too far", means different things to different people.

• Brohoof 1

My only condition is that it should not be taken too far. Of course, "too far", means different things to different people.

Exactly.  And not just falsely hollering "Fire!" in a crowded theater either.  A lot of free speech is used to inflame and incite hate.  That has to be kept in mind too.  To be sure, I lean towards free speech rather than being politically correct and afraid to offend at all times. There will be things that need to be said that some people won't want to hear. But at some point discretion and good sense has to come in.  Unfortunately, everyone has a different idea of where the line gets drawn so there's always going to be arguing lively civil discourse over when to say enough. -_- 

• Brohoof 1

Freedom is good.

People should be free to say whatever needs to be said. And if you don't like that, guess what? You can use your free speech to debate that point, without fear of any evil government or activist groups or fail groups trying to silence or censor us.

In an ideal world, the second paragraph would already be happening.

• Brohoof 2