Is Fluttershy the most mysterious of the Mane 6?

TheMisterManGuy

(edited)

Fluttershy seems to have the least amount of background of the mane 6. We don't know her family, we don't know her pastlife outside flight school, and her quirks like The Stare are almost never explained. Plus, In episodes like Griffon the Brush Off, Crystal Empire Part 2, and Testing Testing 1, 2, 3, Fluttershy seems to repress alot of negative opinions. I'm willing to bet the writers are foreshadowing something about her. I actually think this is what makes Fluttershy a good character, her shy nature and mysterious past allow for a lot of headcannons and speculation.

Edited by TheMisterManGuy
  • Brohoof 4

Considering we know next to nothing of her background, other than she went to flight school with Dash, yes, I can say she's probably the most mysterious out of the mane 6. I really hope they expand on it though , come Season 5. There's so much potential with her.

Speaking of  head canons here's mine on her past. :squee:

http://mlpforums.com/blog/1553/entry-11970-fluttershys-parents-and-background/

• Brohoof 1

Fluttershy's lover, she's my waifu. I'm in love and obsessed with her, she's given me shyabetes. *Hnnnng*

Keep3555Calmsig600x100HOBOFont_zpsd659ba 

Yellow Pink Squee Blogs | Ask one of Fluttershy's biggest fans | Official Fluttershy fanclub page

Considering we know next to nothing of her background, other than she went to flight school with Dash, yes, I can say she's probably the most mysterious out of the mane 6. I really hope they expand on it though , come Season 5. There's so much potential with her.

Speaking of  head canons here's mine on her past. :squee:

http://mlpforums.com/blog/1553/entry-11970-fluttershys-parents-and-background/

Well, here's my own headcannon. I seem to get the feeling that Fluttershy used to work for a villain when she was younger. Like, her possibily misserable fillyhood caused by a dysfunctional family may have driven her to a life of evil when she got a little older. Lets say, a Cloudsdale rescue squad comes and returns Fluttershy to Cloudsdale, Fluttershy, whose family in my head cannon are a bunch of cloudsdale circus preformers, wanted to stay as far away from her family as she could, as the animals were the closest she ever had to one. 

Having that brief moment of happiness taken away from her could've really hurt her emotionaly. Eventually, her family gets a job offer from Fillydelphia, and thus she and her family move there. Knowing she'll probably never see animals again, Fluttershy begins to doubt the importance of her cutie mark, the destiny she would prepare her entire life for. Untill a strange shadowy figure tells her that she doesn't have to listen to what some 2-sided flank tattoo tells her, and that she can do whatever she wants. Fluttershy makes a contract with this shadowy being as it gives her supernatural powers (which would explain Fluttershy's Stare) and teaches her combat. Fluttershy then joins 4 other teenage ponies who doubt the importance of their cutie marks. As they rebel against their special talents and Fluttershy becomes the leader of a gang of rebellious punks known as the Mare 5.

As Fluttershy spends more time with her shadowy master, and the Mare 5, she becomes increasingly defiant, and cynical, slowly losing her soft spoken voice and ignoring her cutie mark. As the Mare 5 quickly falls appart, Fluttershy becomes even more corrupted by her powers, seeming almost possessed. Her and her master then take it to Canterlot where they would kill Celestia, steal the Elements of Harmony, wipe out all life of the entire world, and rebuild it in their own image. Fluttershy's master quickly betrays her and tosses her to the Everfree forest. Celestia reveals to be alive and takes back the EoH. Enraged, Fluttershy snaps at the animals, including a rabbit who would later be known as Angel, as they hide in fear. Suddenly, Fluttershy realized where she went wrong, and remembered what it was like to have happiness, and to keep that happiness, she needed to change, so she moved to Ponyville where she could be comfortable with the animals, and makes a vow to not use her powers and avoid as much social contract as possible to keep others safe. But the personality of the pony she used to be never left her psyche. 

This would explain why Fluttershy called Pinkie and Rarity's life goals "pointless persuits" in Putting your Hoof Down. Come to think of it, it would also explain why she was the only one willing to reform Discord, because she was once a villain herself. I also feel that Iron Will was hired by Fluttershy's old shadowy master to subtly re-awaken the heartless monster inside of her. But Fluttershy realized she was reverting to her old ways, and stood up to Iron Will, unaware of what was going on behind the scenes. If they can do something like this, then it could add some incredible depth to Fluttershy's character.

• Brohoof 1

Yep she's the most mysterious mane 6.

Yes...but I, for one, like her mysterious side. I wouldn't mind if they don't tell anything about her past in the season 5...

Yep she's the most mysterious mane 6.

Yes...but I, for one, like her mysterious side. I wouldn't mind if they don't tell anything about her past in the season 5...

Yea, but I'd really love to learn more about my favourite pegasus. I like her mysteriousness....but the mysterious part of her gives her so much potential for a background. We don't know much about her,and I'd like to learn more about her.

• Brohoof 4

Fluttershy's lover, she's my waifu. I'm in love and obsessed with her, she's given me shyabetes. *Hnnnng*

Yellow Pink Squee Blogs | Ask one of Fluttershy's biggest fans | Official Fluttershy fanclub page

As Fluttershy spends more time with her shadowy master, and the Mare 5, she becomes increasingly defiant, and cynical, slowly losing her soft spoken voice and ignoring her cutie mark. As the Mare 5 quickly falls appart, Fluttershy becomes even more corrupted by her powers, seeming almost possessed. Her and her master then take it to Canterlot where they would kill Celestia, steal the Elements of Harmony, wipe out all life of the entire world, and rebuild it in their own image. Fluttershy's master quickly betrays her and tosses her to the Everfree forest. Celestia reveals to be alive and takes back the EoH. Enraged, Fluttershy snaps at the animals, including a rabbit who would later be known as Angel, as they hide in fear. Suddenly, Fluttershy realized where she went wrong, and remembered what it was like to have happiness, and to keep that happiness, she needed to change, so she moved to Ponyville where she could be comfortable with the animals, and makes a vow to not use her powers and avoid as much social contract as possible to keep others safe. But the personality of the pony she used to be never left her psyche. 

But at the beginning, none of the mane 6 knew what the elements of harmony were. So Fluttershy couldn't of used or known about them previously. Otherwise a nice headcanon, albeit a bit dark for comparison to the other mane 6's background.

I suppose if you put it like that, she might be seen as the most mysterious although her actual background probably isn't that interesting.

What makes you say that?All the other mane 6's backgrounds have been interesting, why not Fluttershy's? I mean, we know hardly anything, so there's so much potential, for a very interesting background. :squee:

• Brohoof 2

Yes we dont know about her that much compared to the other mane 6. But hey save the best for last maybe we will know more about her in season 5.

• Brohoof 1

I suppose if you put it like that, she might be seen as the most mysterious although her actual background probably isn't that interesting.

I'm sure it's very interesting, I'm curious to know why she's so shy.
  • Brohoof 2

I'd say she's quite mysterious indeed, I actually kind of like that part of her character in a way. Of course I'm kind of torn between liking the mysterious background, and wanting to know more about her.

I feel inclined to say i'd like to know about her atleast before the show ends, just so we can still speculate, but eventually get an answer and see what speculations were right and wrong.

Her background is quite mysterious though, I can certainly agree, probably the most of the mane 6 i'd say. The rest we atleast know some decently key things about.

• Brohoof 1

Ru8aWjK.png

Thanks to Gone Airbourne for the awesome sig!

My Oc's,

Ponysona, Bella

I'd say she's quite mysterious indeed, I actually kind of like that part of her character in a way. Of course I'm kind of torn between liking the mysterious background, and wanting to know more about her.

Same here, whenever I see her I often think to myself "What's your story?" Yet, the mysterious part is something else I love about her. I get a little giddy, when I think of what her past could consist of.

I feel inclined to say i'd like to know about her atleast before the show ends, just so we can still speculate, but eventually get an answer and see what speculations were right and wrong.

It would be nice to know more about her before the series ended, and I'm sure it'll happen at some point.I'm hoping in Season 5. :squee:

• Brohoof 1

Well, here's my own headcannon. I seem to get the feeling that Fluttershy used to work for a villain when she was younger. Like, her possibily misserable fillyhood caused by a dysfunctional family may have driven her to a life of evil when she got a little older. Lets say, a Cloudsdale rescue squad comes and returns Fluttershy to Cloudsdale, Fluttershy, whose family in my head cannon are a bunch of cloudsdale circus preformers, wanted to stay as far away from her family as she could, as the animals were the closest she ever had to one. 

Having that brief moment of happiness taken away from her could've really hurt her emotionaly. Eventually, her family gets a job offer from Fillydelphia, and thus she and her family move there. Knowing she'll probably never see animals again, Fluttershy begins to doubt the importance of her cutie mark, the destiny she would prepare her entire life for. Untill a strange shadowy figure tells her that she doesn't have to listen to what some 2-sided flank tattoo tells her, and that she can do whatever she wants. Fluttershy makes a contract with this shadowy being as it gives her supernatural powers (which would explain Fluttershy's Stare) and teaches her combat. Fluttershy then joins 4 other teenage ponies who doubt the importance of their cutie marks. As they rebel against their special talents and Fluttershy becomes the leader of a gang of rebellious punks known as the Mare 5.

This would explain why Fluttershy called Pinkie and Rarity's life goals "pointless persuits" in Putting your Hoof Down. Come to think of it, it would also explain why she was the only one willing to reform Discord, because she was once a villain herself. I also feel that Iron Will was hired by Fluttershy's old shadowy master to subtly re-awaken the heartless monster inside of her. But Fluttershy realized she was reverting to her old ways, and stood up to Iron Will, unaware of what was going on behind the scenes. If they can do something like this, then it could add some incredible depth to Fluttershy's character.

I feel it's an interesting backstory, but considering the fact that most of the other ponies on the show don't have quite as dark backstories, and the fact it's a childrens show technically, Fluttershy's backstory probably won't be quite as dark, or the darker parts will be implied.

• Brohoof 1

Ru8aWjK.png

My Oc's,

Ponysona, Bella

I also have the impression that we don't even know 10% of who the real Fluttershy is. She also says never something personal. It's al about her being uncertain, her animals, caring for other people. Her focus is on the wellbeing of everyone except herself.

Her behaviour is not just being shy, it's like she is traumatised and hides a lot of pain. I have so many questions about her. I want to learn more about her next season.

To summarize: Still waters run deep.

• Brohoof 1

img-2838396-2-Jl8EkjG.png

Credit for my Signature goes to Vinyl Scratch.

Credit for my Avatar goes to Jack-A-Lynn on Deviantart

I also have the impression that we don't even know 10% of who the real Fluttershy is. She also says never something personal. It's al about her being uncertain, her animals, caring for other people. Her focus is on the wellbeing of everyone except herself.

Her behaviour is not just being shy, it's like she is traumatised and hides a lot of pain. I have so many questions about her. I want to learn more about her next season.

Like I said, Fluttershy is repressing a lot of negative opinions and emotions. Putting Your Hoof Down and other "Flutterrage" moments only gave us a taste of who she could really be. If you played Fire Emblem: Awakening, you would know there's a Character named Noire. I won't spoil too much, but lets say her truamatic past caused her to repress a lot of negative emotions and feelings, causing her to become almost as timid and shy as Flutters, but these negative feelings do surface when pushed too far, and she instantly goes from a scardey cat, to a bloodthirsty psychopath. Noire dubs this dark side of hers her "inner demon". Fluttershy seems to be a lot like Noire, heck I wouldn't be suprised if she spouts her catchphrase "BLOOD AND THUNDER!!!"

(edited)

Indeed, she's just so selfless,which is something I admire about her, it's never "about me" with her. It's always about other ponies or her critters.

Mmhm, which is one reason I can relate to her, I'm shy because I have trust issues, I've been bullied in school/made fun of. It hurt, it turned me into a very timid person. Which we see evidence of that in Fluttershy, in "Hurricane Fluttershy" when she reflects back on other ponies saying "Fluttershy, Fluttershy, Fluttershy can hardly fly" :(  Which is jsut one example of it, who knows how many more instances of it she's faced in her past....I feel for her, honestly. Because I know what it's like.

Edited by :Flutterdash:
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Fluttershy avoids anything that would be stressful and she does not seek friendship by herself. I think that she would have lived a very uninteresting life before moving to Ponyville.

Probably due to childhood related issues, bullying etcetera, as I've said in previous posts. (Which is the same reason, I'm rather shy/untrusting of new people I meet)The bullying and such caused her to become the timid pony she is now, although even that is being challenged, with her conquering her stage fright and her natural assertiveness. Going more in depth into her childhood surrounding the bullying and whatever else, and even involving her parents, would make an interesting background story for her.Even perhaps finding out she's got siblings, that would be neat.

Edited by :Flutterdash:

(edited)

Probably due to childhood related issues, bullying etcetera, as I've said in previous posts. (Which is the same reason, I'm rather shy/untrusting of new people I meet)The bullying and such caused her to become the timid pony she is now, although even that is being challenged, with her conquering her stage fright and her natural assertiveness. Going more in depth into her childhood surrounding the bullying and whatever else, and even involving her parents, would make an interesting background story for her.Even perhaps finding out she's got siblings, that would be neat.

My headcanon for Fluttershy's family is a dysfunctional family of cloudsdale circus preformers. 

Ringtail: The ringleader and Fluttershy's biological father. Ringtail is a brash, ruthless ringleader that demanded the best out of his family, including Fluttershy.

Gem Stone: Fluttershy's mother after her biological mom, Sweet Wing passed away. Gem Stone is a cider-holic (which would get alcoholism past the censors) and neglects to take care of her kids, leaving Ringtail to do all the work.

Wind Storm: A rambunctious male pegasus who comes from Ringtail's side of the family. He's destructive, rude, loud, and a pain in the flank.

Ruby Stone: Fluttershy's sister-in-law from Gem Stone's side of the family. She's the spoiled one of the family, often getting whatever she wants, whenever she wants. 

Bling and Blang: also coming from Gem Stone's side, are two mischievous twins who always pick on Fluttershy. They're the youngest in the family.

Sky Wing: Also known as Fluttershy's "cool" sister is the eldest of Ringtail and Gem Stone's kids (coming from Ringtail's side) and the only sane member of the family next to Fluttershy herself. She always wanted to be a mechanic, so much so that she has a wrench for a cutie mark, but her dad wasn't having it. Her family issues cause her to leave the house often, or vent on her guitar. Because of her constant absence, she and Fluttershy never really bonded.

Edited by TheMisterManGuy

(edited)

I've always been of the mind that Flutters comes from a very big and very rowdy family. She loves them and all but they rather exacerbated her shyness and she may have been shunted to the side just a teeeeeeny bit with those types around.

She doesn't have a super close relationship to them because of that, and that's my explanation for why we've never heard of 'em. :derp:

(Dashie, on the other hand, has a very loving relationship with her parents. She just wants to look cool, so she doesn't talk about them to other ponies.) 

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 3

Latest Video: Come On: An Ode To Best Friendship

img-9947-1-i-TxbKrsG.png

"Says they don't like MMDW or Merriwether Williams: Inb4 Stellafera" - Sugar Cube

Same here, whenever I see her I often think to myself "What's your story?" Yet, the mysterious part is something else I love about her. I get a little giddy, when I think of what her past could consist of.

It would be nice to know more about her before the series ended, and I'm sure it'll happen at some point.I'm hoping in Season 5. :squee:

Yeah I agree, but in the end I feel like i want to know about her backstory, because otherwise I'll feel weird not ever really knowing it. Even if the mystery can be fun.

Well I have no idea how long the series is planning on going, I'd say 5-7 seasons is a good guess, so it could be this season, maybe next, if we have a next season, who knows. 

I wouldn't mind it in S5 though.

I've always been of the mind that Flutters comes from a very big and very rowdy family. She loves them and all but they rather exacerbated her shyness and she may have been shunted to the side just a teeeeeeny bit with those types around.

She doesn't have a super close relationship to them because of that, and that's my explanation for why we've never heard of 'em. :derp:

(Dashie, on the other hand, has a very loving relationship with her parents. She just wants to look cool.) 

It's entirely possibly that has something to do with her family situation, (of course without any evidence nobody really knows ;p.) but while it's possible that her being shy affected her relationship with her parents, Maybe sort of like Rarity with her parents, except she has less contact even more so, maybe because of flight school, I kind of have to wonder what caused her to be shy.

I mean I suppose there are the more shy and quiet people just naturally, but considering her teasing she apparently had it's also possible that she had something of that nature cause her to be shy.

I'm curious regardless.

(Ps. Your dashie theory sounds pretty solid ;p)

• Brohoof 1

Ru8aWjK.png

My Oc's,

Ponysona, Bella

I've actually thought of this myself.  It definitely used to be AJ but she's gotten a lot of exploration these last couple seasons.  Flutters... we know the least about her family of the whole mane6, nothing about her past other than various accounts of bullying and the time she first fell down to earth.. I guess it makes sense considering how, well, SHY and reserved she is, but I'd love to know more about her and hope she's explored further in S5!  We need some kind of knowledge of if she has parents, HAD parents, was an orphan/adopted or what..  I'm also really curious if she just started going back and forth between Ponyville and Cloudsdale after falling down that one time, or if she, like, STAYED on the ground and kinda became an "earth pony" from that moment on.

I'm actually really honestly wondering too if one of her parents was a Pegsus and the other was an Earth Pony, that'd explain her having such Earth Pony-like powers and such a love for plants and (especially) animals.

sig-hotbloodpones_zpsa8b474c8.jpg

(Sig art © uc77)

My headcannon is that she's orphaned. Something bad happened and.... stuff ensued.

Either that or major family problems gave her today's personality.

gonna take you out

Indeed, she's just so selfless,which is something I admire about her, it's never "about me" with her. It's always about other ponies or her critters.

Mmhm, which is one reason I can relate to her, I'm shy because I have trust issues, I've been bullied in school/made fun of. It hurt, it turned me into a very timid person. Which we see evidence of that in Fluttershy, in "Hurricane Fluttershy" when she reflects back on other ponies saying "Fluttershy, Fluttershy, Fluttershy can hardly fly" :(  Which is jsut one example of it, who knows how many more instances of it she's faced in her past....I feel for her, honestly. Because I know what it's like.

Selflessness is indeed an admirable trait I believe. And I agree Fluttershy is good with being selfless. 

But of course it does make her more mysterious because she then ends up talking less about herself.

I'm sorry to hear about the bullying, I myself can be kind of shy, although I don't think it has to do with bullying really seeing as I haven't exactly been bullied, depending on the definition of bullied, what exactly is the cause I'm not really sure honestly. But I can relate myself to her due to being shy(of course I also have a really overly hyper Pinkie Pie type of side too ;p.) 

Oh and in "Filli Vanilli" we see some stuff similar to what we see in "Hurricane Fluttershy" about the teasing and deep rooted fears and stuff(The animations around Fluttershy when she is frightened about it are sorta similar too.) Just wanted to point it out.

I think that Fluttershy has obviously being bullied, but when specifically did she become shy? I feel like she might not have always been shy, or atleast as much so. Just my thoughts.

• Brohoof 1

Ru8aWjK.png

My Oc's,

Ponysona, Bella