Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How many primary flight feathers does a pegasus wing have?

silvadel

How many feathers  

4 users have voted

1. 1. How many feathers

• 7 or 8 like in that pic of dash
    • 12 like in the luna pic
    • 16 like most actual birds
    • Some higher number.

I mean birds seem to have about 16 feathers running down a wing... 

DSC_3331.jpg

But in the artwork from the show it looks more like 7 or 8 (with foals having 6)

249994d1333806444-post-your-ootp-13-impr

For a fic I am writing, I need to know just how many feathers they have on a wing -- is it 7 (or 8 for some), 16, some higher number?

I mean Luna is shown with 8 + 4.

Luna_flying_away_S3E6.png

I'd look at the largest flying birds.  Swans, Condors, etc. & go with them.  Did you know, a giraffe has the same number of neck bones as a mouse?  It's probably the same w birds & pegasi.  An interesting question would be Do they have the same number as Alicorns?

As to number shown in animation being inaccurate, well count the fingers sometimes.  They get that wrong about half the time, too.  Dash probably has the same number as Fluttershy (same species, after all) but hers are likely larger, more sensitive, & under better control.  (Look at a musician's hands sometimes)

I'd look at the largest flying birds.  Swans, Condors, etc. & go with them.  Did you know, a giraffe has the same number of neck bones as a mouse?  It's probably the same w birds & pegasi.  An interesting question would be Do they have the same number as Alicorns?

As to number shown in animation being inaccurate, well count the fingers sometimes.  They get that wrong about half the time, too.  Dash probably has the same number as Fluttershy (same species, after all) but hers are likely larger, more sensitive, & under better control.  (Look at a musician's hands sometimes)

Yes I do know that fact about a giraffe.  I actually stated it when I was asking in skype about this question.

[9:32:04 AM] silvadel: Just like the size of a mammal does not change the number of neck bones...  A giraffe has the same number as you

Edited by silvadel