Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If a pegasus loses his wings, would he still be a pegasus.

Phosphorous

Exactly what it says on the tin. If a pegasus loses his wings, will he still be a pegasus? Is being a pegasus determined by just having wings, or is it something deeper? Also, if a unicorn loses his horn, will he still be a unicorn?

full.gif

• Brohoof 2

If there is something genetic at play (and according to Baby Cakes there may be), then yes they would still be part of their race. 

The pegasus would still be a pegasus because it can't be an earth pony as earth ponies are born with a set of talents incongruent to pegasus abilities. The same goes for the unicorn.

• Brohoof 3

The pegasus would still be a pegasus because it can't be an earth pony as earth ponies are born with a set of talents incongruent to pegasus abilities. The same goes for the unicorn.

Basically what they said.

Exactly what it says on the tin. If a pegasus loses his wings, will he still be a pegasus? Is being a pegasus determined by just having wings, or is it something deeper? Also, if a unicorn loses his horn, will he still be a unicorn?

sig-4002061.full.gif

Well in terms of useing magic, well Unicorn with well the 'unicorn' (the horn) wouldn't be able to use magic.  As if yoru saying if a peigisu had to loose thier wings due to say an accident, I still say the pegisus magic would allow them to be on clouds. I mean even earth ponies have magic of thier own it just more subtle then the other races. -see season 4 finale=

Yes, they would be. A pegasus losing their wings or a unicorn losing their horn wouldn't suddenly completely change their race to Earth Pony. They would just be a wingless pegasus or a hornless unicorn, plus pegasi would probably still have access to the magic that allows them to walk on clouds or control the weather. 

I heard the fanon that said Pegasi have hollow bones, so they're not as strong physically as earth ponies. I'm not sure I agree with the idea that between two identically sized ponies, one earth and one wingless pegasi, one weighs less. I think that with determination and some guff, a wingless pegasi could strengthen themselves to the same level as an earth pony. The pegasi would just lack the innate ways of tending the ground, and probably still be able to walk on clouds.

Unicorns I think is a bit of a non-issue. Since their horns are filed for cosmetic or hygienic reasons, it's implicit that they continually are growing, like fingernails or hooves. Therefore, if you cut off a unicorn's horn, it will grow back.

Edited by Blue

• 5 years later...

Yes. A pegasus losing wings wouldn't change what he biologically and genetically is. Not only that, but pegasi posses their own special kind of magic. This innate magic still remains inside the pegasus, even if he doesn't have his wings. This means that a wingless pegasus could still walk on clouds and manipulate the weather. Plus, since earth ponies have their own form of magic, a wingless pegasus wouldn't be considered one (even if said pony appears as if he is one). The same logic can be applied to unicorns too. Tempest is a good example of that.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 5:47 AM, SpookyBrony42 said:

Pegasi can walk on clouds, which seems to be not related to the wings.

Interesting :huh:

They are not using wings when they walk on the clouds, so I guess they are still pegasus even if they are born without wings..... Wait, I mean if they lost their wings. Need to at least be born with the wings to pass as a pegasus!

Yes, and yes.  It's genetic.  If you lose a body part, you're still human.  Same thing.

On 10/16/2020 at 4:42 PM, Splashee® said:

Wait, I mean if they lost their wings. Need to at least be born with the wings to pass as a pegasus!

I think I would actually push back on that.  I think it's a chromosomal thing, a DNA thing, and it would be entirely possible for a pegasus to have a deformity where they are born without wings, but it would be possible to prove that they are a pegasus with a DNA test, and they'd still be able to walk on clouds.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Justin_Case001 said:

Yes, and yes.  It's genetic.  If you lose a body part, you're still human.  Same thing.

I think I would actually push back on that.  I think it's a chromosomal thing, a DNA thing, and it would be entirely possible for a pegasus to have a deformity where they are born without wings, but it would be possible to prove that they are a pegasus with a DNA test, and they'd still be able to walk on clouds.

Or it could all be epigenetics - that is, all ponies have the code for wings and horns hiding somewhere in their DNA, but only some of them have it switched on. Which would explain how the Cakes gave birth to a unicorn and a pegasus despite their family tree being mostly earth ponies, or how apparently any pony race can be upgraded to alicorn with the right magical trigger.

5 hours ago, Justin_Case001 said:

If they have DNA tests or equivalent tests in Equestria... Magic can be used to determine if you are a pegasus, but requires a unicorn (born with a horn, else it is an Earth Pony = logic)

What if it is immoral to check what race you are? In case someone decides to kill off younglings based on race? We have had racist dealing episodes in MLP (season 8), so I wouldn't say it is impossible for somepony to only want a certain dominant race

1 minute ago, swu24 said:

If a pegasus loses his wings, he would probably be a Earth pony. I mean, if he doesn't have wings, what would he be?

That reminds me of Maude Pie's standup comedy scene (i don't remember the episode it was from): "What do you call an alicorn with no wings and no horn? An earth pony." Though earth ponies are apparently physically stronger than other ponies, plus there are references to "earth pony magic" which aids in farming and possibly other things (like Maude's rock talent) - an amputee pegasus wouldn't get any of that. Plus cloud-walking and weather powers seem like they wouldn't be much use without the ability to fly.

Though all the talk of bat ponies had me thinking: Rainbow Dash's prosthetic wing from  "A Cutie Re-Mark" appeared to be all metal, which would likely be uncomfortably heavy. A better design would be fabric (ideally woven spider silk, established to exist in "Honest Apple") over a lightweight frame - something resembling a bat wing. Stuck a couple of those on a wingless pegasus (or Scootaloo, I suppose), and you've got yourself a cyborg bat pony.

• 10 months later...