Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How Many Years have past since G4

TheUnknownPhantom5

Considering how much technology has advanced and the harmonic society as we knew it seemed to break down and rebuild itself separately probably at least a couple hundred years. Regarding to any characters that might be alive, aside from alicorns the ones that come to mind are dragons. Dragons seemed to have very long lifespans in G4 so maybe Spike, Smolder and company are still kicking. It would be funny (and a little sad) to see Spike as a grumpy old dragon reminiscing about old times.

Also Discord because the essence of caos is eternal. And the villans from the finale trapped in stone might still be hoping to break free one day.

• Brohoof 4

3 hours ago, TotallyNotGrogar said:

Considering how much technology has advanced and the harmonic society as we knew it seemed to break down and rebuild itself separately probably at least a couple hundred years. Regarding to any characters that might be alive, aside from alicorns the ones that come to mind are dragons. Dragons seemed to have very long lifespans in G4 so maybe Spike, Smolder and company are still kicking. It would be funny (and a little sad) to see Spike as a grumpy old dragon reminiscing about old times.

Also Discord because the essence of caos is eternal. And the villans from the finale trapped in stone might still be hoping to break free one day.

I think it may be even longer, as FIM Equestria  is considered ancient by G5 :huh:

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Dec Browne said:

Let’s not forget that G4 has things like arcade games, colour photography, film, the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 and Jet Set’s cutie mark of three aeroplanes.

Then again, there was a statement from one of the staff to the tune of "If you see something that looks unusually advanced, assume it's powered by magic". If they'd been relying on magic to run their machines, they would have had to invent a lot of stuff from scratch when the all the magic went AWOL.

Edited by HedonismBot

At least 5000 years. We saw sunny pass near the tree of harmony, and there were no remaining ruins from the royal sisters's castle or anything. This implicates a long time has passed. Considering also that the mane 6 are considered legends, or even silly bed-time stories.

• Brohoof 2

At the very minimum, it's been at least several generations which would roughly be about 400 years. This might be the exact amount of time that has passed but I think it's going to be much longer than that. It'd be nice if we were given an official confirmation though I suppose us guessing does have its perks.

• 2 years later...
(edited)

Presumably at least 2000 years. If we assume Twilight's reign lasted 1000 years like the previous political cycles (Discord, Celestia + Luna, Celestia alone) and no new princess took over after she retired. 1000 additional years for her legacy to pass into mythology. And for all those cities to be abandoned (we don't hear of Canterlot, Manehattan, Vanhoover, Fillydelphia etc.).

The technological progress and social shift could have happened within less than a century. G4 already has steam trains, zeppelins, arcade games, DJ equipment and hydroelectricity. Look how much has changed over the 20th century. Besides technology, racial segregation was normal in the US while most Europeans had never seen a Person of Colour within living memory.

The tech level in communication and recording makes it hard for the events of G4 to pass into myth. It's the main reason why we don't have any new myths today, unless you count multimedia franchises which perpetrate (pop) society and have at least some moral message like Star Wars and Marvel.

Sunny's father has relics from G4 that date back over 10 generations. If we assume ponies have lifespans akin to humans, this would amount to c. 300 years. This is way too short for  G4 to become myth in a literate technological society. I don't remember if he said it's just in his family for over 10 generations. Or it was just a gross estimation.

So, presumably it's several millennia, with 3000-5000 years being most likely. Twilight ruled for 1000 years with little changes in Equestria during that time. It would make sense if there was some point where civilisation fell back and much technology was lost for some time until it was rediscovered. This would've been the timespan during which many cities were destroyed or abandoned and the historical records of FIM got lost and turned into mythology.

Edited by Kosmostiraedan
  • Brohoof 1

Twilight's reign only lasted a few moons (years) before it collapsed, given she doesn't look like her Last Problem self in the hologram (comics aside, but given the shift to mini-series rather than numbered issues, it looks like they're going to be ignoring the early stuff, which is disappointing, but understandable)

The dragons also said they've been asleep for centuries

Although we simply don't know what really happened in G5's version of G4, since nothing we learn about it lines up with Friendship is Magic

• Brohoof 1

34 minutes ago, The Nth Doctor said:

a few moons (years)

You mean months. A moon is the time the moon needs to rotate around the Earth, which is approximately one month.

• Brohoof 1

My headcanon is that it was something like 500-1000 years given the amount of changes from G4 to G5. That's more than enough time for holidays and traditions to change. Cities to rise and fall. Tech to change and advance. Canonically I'm not 100% sure if we know since it seems most claims in G5 have been conflicting or kind of vague.

• Brohoof 1

On 2024-03-27 at 6:08 PM, Kosmostiraedan said:

You mean months. A moon is the time the moon needs to rotate around the Earth, which is approximately one month.

Nope

A "moon" is a year in pony terminology

Toolkit.webp

1.JPG.ba072f75a40fb32d51d180bb3bfb580c.JPG

Impossible to answer, I still live in my generation's timeline and only magic can possibly tell me about the future to come. Besides I don't know how humans count their time. I guess it's different from ours?

If that terminology applied to G4, then Sunset Shimmer would be in her forties considering the portal to the Human World was open once every 30 moons (before Twilight opened it permanently) and she moved there on the previous opening cycle. Sunset being a few decades older than the rest of the Canterlot High students and even her friends would be a pretty peculiar situation. I'd say the definition of "moons" was changed somehow in the generation that followed it.