Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Totally random idea

Dulset Tarn

Didn't the same sortta think happen in too many pinkie pies? she would have to test her friends until they did something completely out of character. Maybe if you are less vauge about the topic of your title it would provoke more discussion :)

Ok you're right, maybe a mod could change it to "Random hypothetical".

Anyway, it wouldn't be anything like in Too Many Pinkie Pies. First, it could be any pony in town. Second, what tests do you propose? They would be trying to avoid detection remember. And third, it's risky letting the changeling know she's after it.

Maybe she would go around observing people's behaviors? Because a changeling isn't going to match a pony's personality 100% (at least, I don't think they can).  :confused: 

So just wait and see if somepony acts strangely, being suspicious of every unusual occurrence?

Twilight gets an anonymous letter saying that somepony in Ponyville has been replaced by a changeling.

What would she do?

I actually wondered if there was an opportunity to actually incorporate the old 'hidden danger paranoia' that you find in Twilight Zone or Deep Space Nine into MLP. In the situation you mentioned, I can see Twilight approaching with reasonable deduction, unwilling to allow her fear to make her suspect specific citizens. Would it finally get to her? If she has grown since Bridle Gossip and Twilight Time ... maybe only a little. What I can see happening is that she shares the warning with the other Mane Six and she spends time trying to keep them from suspecting the other citizens unfairly. Would they turn on each other? Only if there were other plot elements that made it seem obvious that one of the Mane Six was a changeling, even if they were not. 

I can almost imagine a Julian Bashir reveal (DS9) ... or more interesting ... the letter was just a decoy to keep Twi busy and distracted. 

• Brohoof 2

So just wait and see if somepony acts strangely, being suspicious of every unusual occurrence?

Well, I don't think she'll actually wait until something strange occurs. I'm picturing her just strolling around town, casually observing people/things for any suspicious behavior/something that has a connection with the changelings. Then, if everything seems normal, she'll move onto the next step in her plan.

I actually wondered if there was an opportunity to actually incorporate the old 'hidden danger paranoia' that you find in Twilight Zone or Deep Space Nine into MLP. In the situation you mentioned, I can see Twilight approaching with reasonable deduction, unwilling to allow her fear to make her suspect specific citizens. Would it finally get to her? If she has grown since Bridle Gossip and Twilight Time ... maybe only a little. What I can see happening is that she shares the warning with the other Mane Six and she spends time trying to keep them from suspecting the other citizens unfairly. Would they turn on each other? Only if there were other plot elements that made it seem obvious that one of the Mane Six was a changeling, even if they were not. 

I can almost imagine a Julian Bashir reveal (DS9) ... or more interesting ... the letter was just a decoy to keep Twi busy and distracted. 

Oooh, interesting. But you say she'd just share it with her friends? What if one of them is the changeling and she just blew the only advantage she had by telling it she knows? Even if there's no reason to suspect, would it be too risky to just tell them all?

Well, I don't think she'll actually wait until something strange occurs. I'm picturing her just strolling around town, casually observing people/things for any suspicious behavior/something that has a connection with the changelings. Then, if everything seems normal, she'll move onto the next step in her plan.

Oooh, alright. What's the next step?

Wait for it to get hungry

Bait it with hugs and kisses

Capture it

Oh god I just imagined Princess Twilight in the middle of town going "Oh I'm feeling so huggy today, if anypony out there needs a big kiss I'm just giving them away!"

• Brohoof 1

The main difference between this scenario and Too Many Pinkie Pies is that as the time goes on, the original is being held against their will somewhere. It's not about removing the false pony as much as about finding the lost one.

The changeling itself possesses no threat, and the only reason to capture it is interrogation in order to find out where the original is.

Pinkie Pie knows every birthday in Ponyville. Have all residents write down their birthdays, and the one who fails the test is the changeling. If the test scares him away from town, then it would be harder to find the original, but still, not impossible.

The main difference between this scenario and Too Many Pinkie Pies is that as the time goes on, the original is being held against their will somewhere. It's not about removing the false pony as much as about finding the lost one.

The changeling itself possesses no threat, and the only reason to capture it is interrogation in order to find out where the original is.

Pinkie Pie knows every birthday in Ponyville. Have all residents write down their birthdays, and the one who fails the test is the changeling. If the test scares him away from town, then it would be harder to find the original, but still, not impossible.

Not bad, not bad at all... But wouldn't it raise a lot of suspicion demanding everypony's birthdays out of them? Might there be time for the changeing to get the information, assuming it doesn't already have it? What if Pinkie's the changeling and just says all the answers are right?

Not saying it wouldn't work, just throwing ideas out there.

• Brohoof 1

But wouldn't it raise a lot of suspicion demanding everypony's birthdays out of them?

It most certainly would.

Might there be time for the changeing to get the information, assuming it doesn't already have it?

Well in this case we, indeed, should look for flaws in the changeling's behaviour. It's hard for me to point out examples because I don't know much about Ponyville residents. Or, we can search for things that are connected to the act of replacement itself.

If the changeling mimicks the pony's behaviour flawlessly, then there is no point to search for the changeling, and effort should be spent on searching for the lost pony. The ways to search for the pony... No idea. Surely there must be some magic in Equestria that would help locating a pony in peril. The pony himself could try and find his way back home, even.

What if Pinkie's the changeling and just says all the answers are right?

See above.

Well in this case we, indeed, should look for flaws in the changeling's behaviour. It's hard for me to point out examples because I don't know much about Ponyville residents. Or, we can search for things that are connected to the act of replacement itself.

If the changeling mimicks the pony's behaviour flawlessly, then there is no point to search for the changeling, and effort should be spent on searching for the lost pony. The ways to search for the pony... No idea. Surely there must be some magic in Equestria that would help locating a pony in peril. The pony himself could try and find his way back home, even.

Alright, so let's say a few days pass and there's no luck finding anything out of the ordinary. That is to say, unusual things happen every day but ponies always have a good explanation (just like Chrysalis did when disguised as Cadence). The longer a changeling stays undetected, the more damage it can do. What does she do THEN?

The longer a changeling stays undetected, the more damage it can do.

I don't know what is meant by "damage". What exactly can a changeling do? Surely a changeling's goal is to feed off love, and if the changeling is smart and understands that, then it would be in its best interests to upkeep the love torrent as much as possible, and this is where I start having problems with the fundamental concept of changelings in FiM. :okiedokielokie:

If the changeling's activity causes somebody's mind to go nuts (like Shining Armor's in the episode), then this would be very easy to see.

If the changeling's goal is to weaken Ponyville for it to be more easy to capture by bigger forces, then it would be done through mischief, which is quite effectively countered by policing.

Edited by Zejgar

I don't know what is meant by "damage". What exactly can a changeling do?

That's the question Twilight would have to ask. Would she just sit around looking for something obvious? She has no idea what it could be up to, but can be fairly certain it's nothing good and possibly harming ponies.

You know, it HAS been a while since either Dash or Pinkie has pranked anyone.  Who's to say the letter is factual?  Or that it was the only letter? There is also the idea of T going around spying on everyone, maybe they would think Twilight was the changeling.  Or, maybe they would think this was normal behavior -for T.  (Now, there's a disturbing thought.  OMG, Twilight is experimenting AGAIN! Run For Your Life!!)

But, if I was trying to detect a changeling, I would call in Cadence.  As I saw in a fanfic, to changelings she is The Goddess of Food.  They would react differently to her.

You know, it HAS been a while since either Dash or Pinkie has pranked anyone.  Who's to say the letter is factual?  Or that it was the only letter?

Ah, thank you for bringing up the totally valid point that there may not even be a changeling in the first place!

But even if, for instance, Dash admitted to writing the letter as a prank, that would be the perfect way for a changeling to put suspicion off of itself!

But, if I was trying to detect a changeling, I would call in Cadence.  As I saw in a fanfic, to changelings she is The Goddess of Food.  They would react differently to her.

Honestly that was kinda the biggest flaw in A Canterlot Wedding's story. Chrysalis's plan to feed her people includes "Step 1: Capture and imprison magical unlimited food generator."

But still, who wouldn't behave differently around the visiting princess? I don't see how it would help.

I think she'd respect the author's confidentiality and keep things secret. She'd probably go into analytical mode and try to figure things out from a safe distance. I bet she could narrow it down to a pony or two who have been acting suspicious, or perhaps try to use some sort of omni spell. The possibilities aren't necessarily finite.

Why do I think this, though? Well... I dunno. But that's what I'd do, and I'm about 95% Twilight.

Edited by Admiral Regulus

I think she'd respect the author's confidentiality and keep things secret. She'd probably go into analytical mode and try to figure things out from a safe distance.

How would she do that? What if nothing turns up?

How would she do that? What if nothing turns up?

What do you mean?

Obviously, if the person--er... ahem, pony--sending the letter is doing it discreetly, it only makes sense to keep hushed about it.

As to how would a changeling react differently if everyone else was freaking because OMG -it's a princess!   They would be the ones drooling over her.  To them, she ISN'T a princess, she is an All You Can Eat Buffet.  +They would react the same even if Cadence was disguised because they are not reacting to her appearance but to her aura (for want of a better term)  

As to how would a changeling react differently if everyone else was freaking because OMG -it's a princess!   They would be the ones drooling over her.  To them, she ISN'T a princess, she is an All You Can Eat Buffet.  +They would react the same even if Cadence was disguised because they are not reacting to her appearance but to her aura (for want of a better term)  

But we already know that's not how changelings see her from the episode.