Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Discord's Real Origins

Doodle Dabble

In another post where our fellow Bronies and Pegasisters were discussing whether or not Discord would have a cutie mark, (really... Why?!)

I came across a symbol for Chaotic Good on Google. Here it is:

Corellon_holy_symbol.jpg

When I saw that I was struck by how very much it looks like the Symbol for Equestria (and princess Celestia.)

I then wondered if Celestia's magic was based on Chaotic Good?

So, I then wondered: Is is possible that Discord was brought into existance because of some accident when some Ancient Equestrian Alicorn used Chaotic Magic? After all, Celestia herself has suggested that she hasn't been around for much more than a thousand years, that she never said anything about being the founder of Equestria (to my knowledge, anyway.) That being the case perhaps it was some even more ancient Alicorn who screwed up and created Discord by accident? I mean he certainly does look like an accident created by accident, doesn't he?

@Muffin

That's a nice and interesting analysis of what Discord is but doesn't really explain where he might have come from. Still, the person in the video is right: if you remove all the real evil then Discord's just another troll. LOL :))

But I do think that would be a good cutie mark for him should draconiqui have them. If zebras do, I don't see why not.

Well, in the show I think Zebras like Zecora are "technically" ponies so it'd make sense they'd have cutie marks, too. Also, Zecora's clearly an accepted and well respected member of the community whereas Discord is not.

That brings us to: What is Discord, exactly? That has yet to be explained. I'm sure we'll find out sooner or later. But, a cutie mark? I don't know.

@Bunny

"Twilight specifically says she's not a pony."

What season/episode was that? I'm really new to this and trying to catch up. I've watched all of the first three seasons, a lot of season four and the EQ movie but I don't recall Twilight saying that. Blame it on my memory or lack of same. Still, why would Discord have a cutie mark, anyway? This could end up being one of those things that never gets resolved unless they show an episode in one of the future seasons that specifically shows him getting one and why. Also, doesn't a character have to be practically perfect to get a cutie mark? I mean, look at the Cutiemark Crusaders. Seems to me it's taking them forever to get theirs! (Does that happen in season 4? Wait! Don't tell me! LOL)

Edited by Poni-namous

@Bunny

"Twilight specifically says she's not a pony."

What season/episode was that? I'm really new to this and trying to catch up. I've watched all of the first three seasons, a lot of season four and the EQ movie but I don't recall Twilight saying that. Blame it on my memory or lack of same. Still, why would Discord have a cutie mark, anyway? This could end up being one of those things that never gets resolved unless they show an episode in one of the future seasons that specifically shows him getting one and why. Also, doesn't a character have to be practically perfect to get a cutie mark? I mean, look at the Cutiemark Crusaders. Seems to me it's taking them forever to get theirs! (Does that happen in season 4? Wait! Don't tell me! LOL)

It's not "bunny"...

Bridle Gossip: "Well, she's probably not from here, and she's not a pony. My books say that zebras come from a far away land."

• Brohoof 1

@Bunny

Okay that's cool but now I'm really curious to find out just where twi says that. Want me to tell you when I find out?

Wait... you meant the episode called Bridle Gossip! There's a site called Bridle Gossip so I misunderstood and thought you said you'd heard it from there. Okay, nevermind. LOL!

Edited by Poni-namous

@Bunny

Okay that's cool but now I'm really curious to find out just where twi says that. Want me to tell you when I find out?

It's not bunny!

And it's in the most obvious place, where they're talking about Zecora for the first time.

Not that I'm saying you should specifically remember that, just that it's no mystery where it is.

@Dulcet Tarn

"And it's not bunny".

Okay, sorry, blame it on my bad eyes, I was reading the wrong thing.

Also...

Found it and it didn't take long, either

At 3:20 of S01E09 (Bridle Gossip) twi does say "she's not a pony". Glad we got that cleared up.

Now, getting back to the thread; what do you speculate about as to what might be Discord's origins?

Come to think of it, there was that one episode where Twi had to figure out and complete a spell by the ancient Wizard Star Swirl The Bearded. I wonder if he could have been the one that might have accidentally created Discord? (That is, if Discord were actually accidentally created? It's all speculation after all.)  Still, it's a thought.

Edited by Poni-namous

@Dulcet Tarn

"And it's not bunny".

Okay, sorry, blame it on my bad eyes, I was reading the wrong thing.

Also...

Found it and it didn't take long, either

At 3:20 of S01E09 (Bridle Gossip) twi does say "she's not a pony". Glad we got that cleared up.

Now, getting back to the thread; what do you speculate about as to what might be Discord's origins?

I prefer not to speculate, but I do consider him to likely be more or less a djinni.

My headcanon has been "Discord is Starswirl" for a long, long time. However, ever since I caught up with the comics, I realized the timeline is all wrong. Discord is defeated before Celestia and Luna's coronation and Starswirl was present there, so RIP my previous headcanon.

Discord is the spirit of chaos and disharmony, and I'm curious as to what is a "spirit" in the world of Friendship is Magic. Normally, it is a more formal word for a ghost, the essence or soul of a person come to the physical plane. But he's the spirit of chaos and disharmony, which makes it sound like he's some sort of avatar or embodiment. Are there other embodiments? Is Twilight the embodiment of Friendship and Cadence the embodiment of Love? Or are they more minor characters in that role, and an embodiment is a figure come to life that is solely based around his source and has great, demigod or godlike powers?

I would say his origin lies in the question, what is Discord? If we were to understand what he was, we might be able to understand why he exists, and how he does. It is likely that he is either some kind of demigod that existed since creation, possibly the legacy of the absolute chaos that was before, or otherwise the result of terrible research into magic. Possibly by Starswirl?! (likes that idea)

One of the MLP analysts, Dr. Wolf, had a theory that Discord was releated to the Windigos. He based this on their similar appearance. Not sure if it's a position he still holds, or if it was a one off theory. It has some merit actually. Chaotic forces and the King of chaos being related.

post-13827-0-09870300-1422653011_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nature's Spell

I would say his origin lies in the question, what is Discord? If we were to understand what he was, we might be able to understand why he exists, and how he does. It is likely that he is either some kind of demigod that existed since creation, possibly the legacy of the absolute chaos that was before, or otherwise the result of terrible research into magic. Possibly by Starswirl?! (likes that idea)

Lots of people call him a god of chaos because he can do just about anything, but the way he uses the word "spirit" is the reason I consider him to be closer to a djinni.

One of the MLP analysts, Dr. Wolf, had a theory that Discord was releated to the Windigos. He based this on their similar appearance. Not sure if it's a position he still holds, or if it was a one off theory. It has some merit actually. Chaotic forces and the King of chaos being related.

Honestly the sirens from Rainbow Rocks have much more in common with the Windigoes than Discord does.

Lots of people call him a god of chaos because he can do just about anything, but the way he uses the word "spirit" is the reason I consider him to be closer to a djinni.

Honestly the sirens from Rainbow Rocks have much more in common with the Windigoes than Discord does.

Thought somebody might say that. :) Maybe. I wasn't very impressed with RR and don't see it existing in the same timeline as the show. A parallel timeline, a similar one, but not exactly the same one.

In my headcanon Discord is a by-product of the ponies' take-over of Nature. They brought harmony upon the world by making it so they need to raise the sun and moon, manually change the seasons and manage the weather. Things no longer 'just happen' outside of the Everfree Forest. I think that Equestria was once like Earth, and that magic made it the way it is now. However, all that harmony must have its opposite, and I think that condensed itself into Discord, the spirit of chaos.

However, the harmony in Equestria is not pure as there is still conflict, and because of that Discord's evil isn't pure either.

Keep in mind that all of this is mere speculation on my part.