Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My horrible drawn pony art ;_;

JonasDarkmane

Here is some more of what I have been drawing......

attachicon.gifIMG_0331.JPG

xOkamii, Me and Pucksterv

That is very good! I can never do facial expressions or poses that well! (makin me kinda jelly right now :okiedokielokie: ). My dad always told me "your first drawing will suck, your next one will suck less, and the next one less, and so forth" you will never view your own work as anything more than less sucky than the last! and that's good! It can drive you to become better! Here's to your improvement /)

• Brohoof 1

You gave it a try and it looks good it do-sent have to be perfect and well min isn't  any better.

You gave it a try and it looks good it do-sent have to be perfect and well min isn't  any better.

• Brohoof 1

They actually don't look that bad! I know people say this a lot but it's true, just keep practicing!

I know I saw improvement from my first one all the way to now. Just never give up. :3

• Brohoof 1

I think they look good :) Maybe you should put some more effort into training on drawing the actual line art and not the "skeleton"? :3 Just a tip :) Just keep practicing :)

Anyway, Good job :)

• Brohoof 1

might just be me but it looks like you are pressing down suuuuper hard with your pencil when you draw. Try loosening up a bit, maybe draw something by doing lots of really soft strokes. That's what Andy Ristaino from adventure time does, and it gives his work a really unique style. http://skronked.tumblr.com/ 

Also you should try having some fun drawing basic 3d shapes so you get a feel for structure. Back in the 90s, there was Commander Mark's Draw Squad, where he'd teach all kinds of fun little exercises to do just that. http://www.drawsquad.com/lessons/lesslist.html try out these lessons, I think they'll help a lot.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

My opinion.

Your pictures do show that you're currently not particularly skilled at drawing. However that doesn't mean you're unable to improve; we all start somewhere. Also no matter how terrible a pony drawing may be, I think I will always prefer them over pony creator images.

Anyway, the ones from last year do frankly look terrible. However, assuming you didn't trace, your understanding of pony anatomy seemed to have improved overtime having greater resemblance to that of the show's style. Then again image you posted yesterday makes me question what level of skill you're actually at; it seems more backwards than some of the others you posted in terms of skill (for instance this: DJ Spacer no base.jpg compared to this: IMG_0331.JPG).

I don't know what will become of your drawing style in the future, but I'll begin by discussing the show's style. Maybe you know this already or I am stating the obvious, but I will go ahead anyway.

2015_05_12___pony_anatomy___twilight_spa

It should be noted now is that smooth curved lines are quite important to have when drawing ponies; a notable mistake I see in beginner pony drawers is the use of straight lines. Except for horns on unicorns or alicorns, use of straight lines must stop; smooth curved lines always.

Anyway, basic pony structure consists of three main circles:

-Head

-Frontside of body

-Backside of body

These three circles should be a useful guide in drawing ponies and getting a sense of proportions. Each of these parts are connected by smooth curved lines as roughly shown in image as yellow lines (missed one for belly though). When speaking of show's style, relative size of ponies' head compared to rest of body is relatively large.

The head consists of 4 main parts:

-Base head (circle drew initially)

-Eyes

-Snout

-Ears

(-Hair but I won't discuss it here)

Pony eyes are the largest facial features so they should be drawn quite large. The bottom of the eyes seem to be located at about height of tip of snout and the top of eyes going somewhat above bottom of ears.

Snouts consist of two basic convex lines with tip of snout smoothed a bit. Jaw of ponies are pointed somewhat upwards. The mouth should be placed somewhere in middle; don't place it too high or else I question how the pony can have upper set of teeth.

Ears consist of two curved lines. When drawing lines for ear, the bottom part of ear closer to eyes is located above where the eye ends whereas other bottom part has some horizontal distance from the eye and is located lower heightwise. (Wording of this part somewhat awkward, more straightforward to see image)

Ponies' front legs generally are smaller on top and widen at hoof.

Ponies' hind legs are divided into two sections (really three but we'll just say two for now) separated by purple circle shown in image. Top part begins wide but lines narrow down to more or less meet the mid-circle. Lower portion, back side of leg sticks out then, as with front legs, leg widens as it goes to hoof.

Not sure if this was helpful or was just me stating obvious for entire time... but I hope was helpful. If nothing else, know this: SMOOTH CURVED LINES ALL THE TIME.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 2

SMOOTH CURVED LINES ALL THE TIME.

Not to step on any hooves, but I gotta disagree here. Someone who wants to learn to draw better should be more concerned with having fun and experimenting, and in the process getting basic principals down (ex: portraying 3d space and shapes), opposed to staying perfectly on model. Otherwise you wont know how to draw anything else.

Try rough straight lines sometimes!

post-33549-0-04753400-1431557714_thumb.png

Not to step on any hooves, but I gotta disagree here. Someone who wants to learn to draw better should be more concerned with having fun and experimenting, and in the process getting basic principals down (ex: portraying 3d space and shapes), opposed to staying perfectly on model. Otherwise you wont know how to draw anything else.

Try rough straight lines sometimes!

attachicon.gifangular-pony.png

I stand corrected, though I think that's actually the first time I've seen straight lines being the focus.; I actually can't remember any other times ponies were drawn this way because vast majority/all I've seen in almost four years had curved lines.

In any case, I was more focused on the show's style specifically because it seems like people who begin drawing ponies tend to imitate the show's style; criticizing a defined style becomes notably more difficult because what appears to be a flaw to one person may actually be a stylistic decision. But I was making the emphasis of smooth curved lines because that's how the show's style is done. Though perhaps the emphasis should have been more on having a more defined pony shape; the one he posted on 11 May could use a more defined pony shape in my opinion. I don't have a good sense of his drawing skills of ponies so I don't know whether he should be understanding pony anatomy or experimenting.

I was taking the position of understanding ponies by familiarizing with show's style, then developing your own style by experimenting once you understand the basics. Again it seems common that people begin by trying to imitate the show's style. If he wishes to experiment with straight lines, he should.

I was taking the position of understanding ponies by familiarizing with show's style, then developing your own style by experimenting once you understand the basics. Again it seems common that people begin by trying to imitate the show's style. If he wishes to experiment with straight lines, he should.

Nothing wrong with drawing to the standard, I was thinking mostly in the context that because he said he was struggling with art class it'd be better to get a well rounded idea of how to draw in general, and then could draw ponies in different ways and expand on the style.

Jonas! what do you think!

Nothing wrong with drawing to the standard, I was thinking mostly in the context that because he said he was struggling with art class it'd be better to get a well rounded idea of how to draw in general, and then could draw ponies in different ways and expand on the style.

Jonas! what do you think!

I don't know  :sunny:. I don't know anything about drawing :(

well the best way to start is to draw what you enjoy, which means Tsaritsa Luna's notes about staying on-model are worth referencing if you want to make sure your ponies look like the same style as the show.

If you try out those easy lessons I shared in my first post, it'll help you get a good foundation for drawing objects in 3D, which will make your ability and understanding of how to draw ponies even better! (not to mention it will probably help you get through art class)

Your art work is fine, just remember that it's simply better then just doing nothing. It looks wonderful, keep up the great work. Practice and patience makes perfect. ;)

• Brohoof 2

We all start somewhere. Though I can't specifically relate to you in terms of drawing, I was terrible when I began animating several years back. I wondered how some people were able to do it so well. But I tried to improve by analyzing movement, reading tutorials, trying to apply what I learned, then, perhaps the most useful to me, have others criticize my work and try to improve upon things they said were not done well or, frankly, completely wrong. Though my animating skill never became amazing, I did eventually improve significantly.

You don't like your level of drawing skill at the moment, but you definitely will improve if you commit to improving; it won't happen quickly, but it will eventually.

We all start somewhere. Though I can't specifically relate to you in terms of drawing, I was terrible when I began animating several years back. I wondered how some people were able to do it so well. But I tried to improve by analyzing movement, reading tutorials, trying to apply what I learned, then, perhaps the most useful to me, have others criticize my work and try to improve upon things they said were not done well or, frankly, completely wrong. Though my animating skill never became amazing, I did eventually improve significantly.

You don't like your level of drawing skill at the moment, but you definitely will improve if you commit to improving; it won't happen quickly, but it will eventually.

I don't want to draw anymore.....

Why is that? Because that's actually quite a shame if you have decided to quit.

I have my reasons, I have lost my love to even try, seeing as I won't ever become a decent artist, even thought I tried to take art class to do so

(edited)

I have my reasons, I have lost my love to even try, seeing as I won't ever become a decent artist, even thought I tried to take art class to do so

That's being quite pessimistic. I believe anyone has the potential to become a good artist and you yourself have shown to be able to improve (though admittingly one from 11 May seems to be an anomaly). However if you have no will to improve, you will in fact never improve. In that case your current artistic skill isn't something you should primarily be concerned about improving, but rather your attitude towards it.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna