Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology What GPU should I get?

thegoodhen

(edited)

Hey there, everypony! I am looking into buying a 4K screen mostly for After effects and Blender related work. Since I am used to having 2 screens, I wanna be able to have an additional lower res screen side by side to my main 4K one. I also wanna have the option to change my second screen to a second 4K one. I have multiple GPU slots on my motherboard (Gigabyte P55AUD5), so I guess I could keep my current 5770HD and get an additional card for the 4K screen. 

However, I am not entirely sure which card I should get. I want it to be as cheap as possible while being capable of providing a decent flickerless image to my screen.

I don't really need the card to be too powerful. I don't really have the time to play games and when I do, it's usually like Hitman: Blood money or Deus ex 1 or Tribes 1 or TF2 something super old. I don't usually play games newer than 5 years and even then, I don't really need to run 'em in 4K.

I would, however, appreciate nVidia over Ati (or is it AMD now?)-Blender can use nVidia cards to speed up the rendering dramatically.

So basically, I am looking for a cheap nVidia card that can display 4K stuff without problems. What would you suggest?

:wacko:

I found this list:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/4k/supported-gpus

So far, the gtx750TI seems like the way to go. What do ya think? :D

Edited by thegoodhen

If you want to play the latest games in 4K, I would recommend nothing less than a 970. If you want 4K but don't care about gaming so much, then you'd probably be fine with something like a 750 Ti.

• Brohoof 1

Now I'm not really the right person to ask when it comes to hardware but I'm just going to leave this here

it's not a suggestion, just something that might catch your interest. Well, unless you already knew about them

(edited)

Oooh hi! It's been a while since I saw you?

Anyway, that's almost all I have to say because my eyes glazed over trying to read what you posted. >.< However, I will say that the 750 Ti was considered questionable to run the game The Sims 3 with all Expansion Packs, which supposedly, by gaming standards isn't too demanding of a game (I disagree, but whatever...), so I personally do not consider it a desirable card. I'd go at least one above it! (760?)

Edited by Envy

(edited)

If you want to play the latest games in 4K, I would recommend nothing less than a 970. If you want 4K but don't care about gaming so much, then you'd probably be fine with something like a 750 Ti.

Hey there! Thanksies. I've been considering the 970, but those beasts start at about 400 bucks and considering at first I haven't been considering getting a new card, it's a bit too much I guess. 200-300 bucks is okay I guess, but the less the better.

Now I'm not really the right person to ask when it comes to hardware but I'm just going to leave this here

it's not a suggestion, just something that might catch your interest. Well, unless you already knew about them

Thanks, Jokky! You should come on Skype sometime soon! I know about those. The problem with them is that they either support only a lower resolution for multiple screens or they support 4K but only once for the price very similar to the 750ti... There are ones that support like 4x4K, but those are out of my budget...

Oooh hi! It's been a while since I saw you?

Anyway, that's almost all I have to say because my eyes glazed over trying to read what you posted. >.< However, I will say that the 750 Ti was considered questionable to run the game The Sims 3 with all Expansion Packs, which supposedly, by gaming standards isn't too demanding of a game (I disagree, but whatever...), so I personally do not consider it a desirable card. I'd go at least one above it! (760?)

Wee! I am here almost every day, but I hardly ever post. ;) I do not care much about gaming, but I've seen 750Ti run watchdogs on ultra... My 5770 is still fine in terms of performance, if I don't count the fact it can't handle 4K.

EDIT: 

FirePro W4100 

is not an nVidia card, but seems to be able to support 2x4K screens... *sigh* I dunno. :C

Edited by thegoodhen

First of all I recommend you get an Nvidia card.

Secondly, if the games you plan on playing will not be that heavy then a good card in the range of 200-300 dollars should do fine. Maybe something that is overclocked? Try the 770 or 770 Ti.

First of all I recommend you get an Nvidia card.

Secondly, if the games you plan on playing will not be that heavy then a good card in the range of 200-300 dollars should do fine. Maybe something that is overclocked? Try the 770 or 770 Ti.

Heyee! I think I'll just get a 750Ti. Seems to be decent and pretty cheap! :3 Now to make some super popular post so that my brohoof/post ratio stays 1:1

Heyee! I think I'll just get a 750Ti. Seems to be decent and pretty cheap! :3 Now to make some super popular post so that my brohoof/post ratio stays 1:1

Go for the 760 then. Trust me you might often find your 750 Ti being pushed to the limit if you try running games on 4K. 760 will not move mountains but it is a bit better.

Go for the 760 then. Trust me you might often find your 750 Ti being pushed to the limit if you try running games on 4K. 760 will not move mountains but it is a bit better.

If I need, I'll switch to full HD. In fact, if it can run Deus ex 1 on 1024x768 I am cool with it. I hardly play any games at all at the time and I only will have less time in future. But I'll consider it. Thanks! :3 Do you think 760 could run 2x4K in windows without lags? Can't find much info.