Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is it that Princess Celestia is just "Princess"?

ZapFirePrincess

Hasbro runs on Disney concepts that princesses are good and innocent and queens are evil and selfish. Can't have Celestia who is on the side of good be a queen. There is Queen Chrysalis though who is evil.

Lauren Faust originally made her Queen Celestia but Hasbro had her changed her to Princess Celestia.

• Brohoof 6

Well then where the king ( yes i know there can be a queen with out a king) but in short there is no King in any way shape or form. I think the real reason is that Hasbro wants to give the whole Disney thing with princess as the good girls and queen is usually for the villain in a way. maybe IDK   

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

This would work if Equestria was said to be a principality. Sadly it's been described as a kingdom. I saw some Word of Faust where she said how she raised the "weirdness of the situation" with her bosses but it didn't seem to be a continuity concern for them - but why couldn't Faust have just made Equestria a principality in response? Then it would make perfect sense for it to be ruled by a princess. There wasn't a logic issue at all until the show went and called it a kingdom.

Now, granted, considering Faust would apparently have preferred Blueblood to be a duke but he was made a prince because someone thought kids wouldn't know what a duke was... The show, at least early on, probably wouldn't have been allowed to use the word "principality" either. But they could've just avoided calling it a kingdom, explained it as a principality via Word of God, and maybe actually brought in the word principality in recent seasons.

Edited by Knight Dash
  • Brohoof 1

Executive Meddling. Celestia was originally going to be a queen but Hasbro had Faust change it because, as Cider Float said, they run on the, now obsolete thanks to Frozen, DIsney standard that Princesses are nice and Queens are evil.

• Brohoof 3

Doyalist Reason?: Hasbro meddling thought kids were stupid and would not accept a Queen as good. Give the Devil his due though, as they showed remarkable restraint otherwise in letting Lauren do her thing.

Watsonian Reason?: Just a theory but it could be that Celestia submits to an even higher authority or that since both her and Luna co-rule Equestria, the equal title is meant as a reminder that they are equals in power. Celestia assuming the title, if still the full time responsibility, of queen during Luna's absence.

• Brohoof 1

The other posters have it right; Celestia was intended to be a queen, but the powers that be thought otherwise. They were basing their opinions on a rather tired cliche of evil queens and good princesses.

To be fair though it allows the series to build its own history & world not exactly based on the human norms of kings and queens.

• Brohoof 3

This is a kid's show and everything does not have to make sense. As posted previously, Disney's rule applies that Queens will always be evil so we can't have a Queen Celestia even though she should be one.

Only other explanation I can think of is that Luna and Celestia decided that since being a Queen would mean that you're the ONE at the top and there are two rulers, they should both be Princesses because having two queens would be weird.

Executive Meddling. Celestia was originally going to be a queen but Hasbro had Faust change it because, as Cider Float said, they run on the, now obsolete thanks to Frozen, DIsney standard that Princesses are nice and Queens are evil.

but Hasbro was never one to follow Disney concepts so closely. Even in MLP. They've taken chances and made GOOD Kings and Queens before.

Queen Rosedust of the Flutter ponies- G1

"By Right, I should be queen" song the princess ponies sing in G1

Good king and queen talked about- and seen in "Princess Problems"- G2

Good queen mentioned in the spellbook Twilight has, in "Hearts and Hooves Day"- G4

Good queen mentioned from the Crystal Empire- "The crystal Empire part 2" (?) G4

Good queen mentioned in Journal of the Two sisters- g4

Good king "King Leo" depicted as Celestia's cousin- "Under the Sparkling Sea"- G4

Good king, ruler of the deer in the Everfree forest, "King Aspen"- G4

Good king, "King Orion", ruler of Timbucktu, in Fiendship is Magic IDW comic- G4

In fact, there's far more examples of good kings and queens in G4 than any other past MLP generation.

• Brohoof 2

Because Queens are evil and power hungry, Princesses are delicate and innocent. At least, that's how it's always been for the most part.

It could also do with the fact she hasn't married her way into a higher rank of Monarchy. The same could apply to Luna as well.

This is a kid's show and everything does not have to make sense. As posted previously, Disney's rule applies that Queens will always be evil so we can't have a Queen Celestia even though she should be one.

Only other explanation I can think of is that Luna and Celestia decided that since being a Queen would mean that you're the ONE at the top and there are two rulers, they should both be Princesses because having two queens would be weird.

Hasbro isn't Disney, though, dear. They've proven that in the past, by being willing to stray from Disney's concepts of what's good and what's evil. -points to above reply- It's not the fact that we CAN'T have a Queen Celestia, even without Hasbro putting her in the Good Queen category. They can do whatever they durn well please, so CAN'T isn't even an issue. So I personally don't know why they didn't, when they've done it before, with their own IP.

You can think of it two ways;

The heirarchy is design to be cute and nice for little girls, using princesses and princes and simple ideas like that.

OR

The MLP universe just works different politically from how we use the terms and titles in our world.

Take your pick.

Honestly I have no idea how the entire hierarchy works. Blueblood is a prince but is the nephew of Celestia/Luna, who are princesses. Why is Blueblood not in power? 

Twilight suddenly becomes an alicorn randomly and is granted the titled of "Princess". Clearly it's a title bestowed by a sort of higher, unseen power.

Cause marketing, that's why, at these out of universe.  

I kind of like to think Celestia has an older brother/sister who is actually the king/queen but they said "Fuck no, I'm not doing this" and just left without abdicating the throne and Celestia doesn't take the title because it is still her sibling's and she is simply ruling until they take it back.