Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

'Love at first sight'

catnet

I absolutely believe in it and have experienced it myself. It can take different forms ranging from romantic love to deep friendship or even a certain familial connection. People have certain cues built into their personality and even appearance that are necessary to catch the eye of a potential soul mate. This is by design, to help people find a suitable match. This is not meant to be an emphasis on physical attraction, but I do think people can connect to a certain look (which I call the ‘secret look’) which is more of a recognition of type rather than surface attractiveness alone. People are often attracted to others who are similar looking to themselves, and maybe that’s because they recognize something familiar that they feel comfortable with. On the other hand, I’ve personally fallen for someone completely different than my ideal ‘look’ but was no less enamored. I guess the bottom line is that love is a complex science and can’t really be explained in just a few well-chosen words. But love at first sight, or by first encounter, or by any means, even reputation, is real and very strong. 

• 1 year later...

I believe in love at first sight...to an extent. Growing up, I had several crushes over the years from love at first sight. There are people that go crazy from it, but love makes you do silly things at times! I know some people say that they don't care about looks, but then they usually date someone good looking with a bad personality. I think looks play a small part in the attraction part of the equation of love.

As quite a few of responses have said on the first page I believe in lust at first sight but not love. There's nothing wrong with that though.

After I get to know someone then I could fall in love with them. But looking at someone for the first time and being in love? No. That takes time to be built.

Love at first sight for me has only ever proved to be lust and nothing more. Love is something that takes time to build - lust is instant. Instant gratification, over delayed gratification? Love is more important than lust. 

• Brohoof 1

Maybe, I'll spare you the existential cliches about lust, our standards are different, our behaviors are different, our experiences are different. I'll know in the future the answer to this question, hopefully

I've never really subscribed to this theory. I've seen far too many examples of failed relationships to believe that anyone can simply know at first glance if someone is their soulmate for life. A true relationship takes time, proceeds gradually, and is built upon the experiences you both have together. Rushing it may work for a time, but the problems start when the allure runs dry.

Leave this one to the Disney movies. :P