Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dsanders

What way do you guys believe the universe will end?

This video points out three ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_aOIA-vyBo

The Big Rip

Heat Death / Big Freeze

or The Big Crunch

I reckon the Big Rip. (I'll just copy what I said in the Random Useless Facts thread).

The Big Rip is a theory for the end of the universe stating that due to the acceleration of the expansion of the universe, eventually it will expand so fast that gravity won't be able to compensate for it, and galaxies everywhere will be torn and shredded apart. Then celestial bodies like black holes, stars and planets, and then lastly the expansion will exceed the speed of light so that atoms' particles will not be able to interact with each other, resulting in a bunch of particles aimlessly floating about. 

(edited)

What way do you guys believe the universe will end?

Will it ever end? Seeing how things are, I don't see how the universe could "disappear". Atoms and molecules can't be destroyed, they only transform.

due to the acceleration of the expansion of the universe, eventually it will expand so fast that gravity won't be able to compensate for it, and galaxies everywhere will be torn and shredded apart.

I don't see how that could happen, what does "gravity won't be able to compensate for it" mean? What gravity? Edited by Blobulle

Why hasn't there been a thread about this before?

Anyway, I love astronomy, it's been one of my biggest passions since I was real young. It's not something I would get a career in, just more of a big side hobby. I'm fascinated by the wonders of the universe, what's out there, different cosmos, and objects, and the like.

And I am really looking forward to the Pluto flyby in a few days.

• Brohoof 1

Will it ever end? Seeing how things are, I don't see how the universe could "disappear". Atoms and molecules can't be destroyed, they only transform.

It won't technically "end", there will still be particles, it's just that nothing can interact with each other so nothing can be created.

I don't see how that could happen, what does "gravity won't be able to compensate for it" mean? What gravity?

Everything in the universe is moving away from each other because the universe is equally expanding everywhere, new space is always being added and it's accelerating. The reason things (like stars, planets, etc..) don't expand away from each other into loneliness is because of gravity holding them together. At a certain point everything will be expanding so fast because of the acceleration, with new space being added between objects, that gravity will no longer be able to hold them.

It won't technically "end", there will still be particles, it's just that nothing can interact with each other so nothing can be created.

Oh ok.

The reason things (like stars, planets, etc..) don't expand away from each other into loneliness is because of gravity holding them together. At a certain point everything will be expanding so fast because of the acceleration, with new space being added between objects, that gravity will no longer be able to hold them.

We don't know what gravity is though. Does it have a speed? Is it an energy? I don't see how that acceleration could outrun gravity.

And even if it happens one day, we (our galaxy, and the other ones close to it) wouldn't be affected, only the new ones would be, right?

• Brohoof 1

We don't know what gravity is though. Does it have a speed? Is it an energy? I don't see how that acceleration could outrun gravity. And even if it happens one day, we (our galaxy, and the other ones close to it) wouldn't be affected, only the new ones would be, right?

That is the mystery of gravity, my friend. It is said that its power comes from subatomic particles called gravitons, though their existence is only as hypothetical as wormholes and white holes ...

Just like consciousness, its true nature and origin is a mystery that may or may not ever be unveiled.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

That is the mystery of gravity, my friend. It is said that its power comes from subatomic particles called gravitons, though their existence is only as hypothetical as wormholes and white holes ...

I like this idea :) I think it's something too small for us to detect.

Or maybe it's something completely different we just can't conceive.

Edited by Blobulle

(edited)

This image appeared in the the news just couple of hours ago. Latest photo of Pluto.

sig-3927386.pluto1.jpg

It has plenty of unique geological features, especially that neatly shaped polygonal pattern situated around its equator ... could it just be a piece of fragmented ice or signs of intelligent civilization? We'll find out in three days.

Edited by Christopher
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

This image appeared in the the news just couple of hours ago. Latest photo of Pluto.

sig-3927386.sig-3927386.pluto1.jpg

It has plenty of unique geological features, especially that neatly shaped polygonal pattern situated around its equator ... could it just be a piece of fragmented ice or signs of intelligent civilization? We'll find out in three days.

@,

Wow! :pinkie: It's getting closer, I can't wait to see what Pluto looks like up close! :squee:

Edited by Misty Rose