Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone Interested in Astronomy?

Raritas

Hey everyone! I do not think I have seen a thread relating to Astronomy on the forums yet, so here is one! 

Do you have a interest in it? I certainly do. I've been an amateur astronomer for about 2 years now, and I'm now trying to get into Astrophotography, where you take pictures of space stuff.

Using my telescope, which is an Skywatcher 130P Synscan AZ GoTo, I've been able to take some alright pictures of the moon so far with just a normal digital camera: 

post-7534-0-87270600-1378062994_thumb.jpg

This one I'm quite proud of. It picks out a lot of detail on the surface and it seems to have come out really clear.

But, enough of me rambling about my experiences, what about you guys? Do any of you have an interest in Astronomy? 

• Brohoof 8

Oh lord yes. I've loved astronomy since I was a kid, and I'm taking online courses in astronomy, physics and cosmology right now. I guess I'm more into the details, whereas you're the big picture man. I actually had a telescope myself back in the day. Unfortunately, it broke.

post-19078-0-03436500-1378065037_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

I used to be big into astronomy and space in general I still kind of am. I find it interesting that by looking at a planet trough different types of telescopes  x-ray, infrared, etc we can find out the density which can lead to an educated guess on the composition of a planet. I'm waiting to see what they do when it comes to interplanetary travel in the near future. Good photo of the moon by the way.

• Brohoof 1

Oh lord yes. I've loved astronomy since I was a kid, and I'm taking online courses in astronomy, physics and cosmology right now. I guess I'm more into the details, whereas you're the big picture man. I actually had a telescope myself back in the day. Unfortunately, it broke.

attachicon.gifCosmos.png

Yeah, I guess I've always been fascinated in whats there and what it looks like etc. Them courses sound quite interesting to do, what sort of things do they involve? 

i like astronomy. i don't study it or anything, but it interests me. i always enjoy campouts where we can watch the stars or figure out which constellation is which and stuff like that.

• Brohoof 1

I used to be big into astronomy and space in general I still kind of am. I find it interesting that by looking at a planet trough different types of telescopes  x-ray, infrared, etc we can find out the density which can lead to an educated guess on the composition of a planet. I'm waiting to see what they do when it comes to interplanetary travel in the near future. Good photo of the moon by the way.

Thanks, it was a first try to be honest. The fact that they can tell all them things by a picture or photo amazes me as well, I'd never be able to do it haha. I'd love it if we managed to get to another planet in our lifetime, I think it's achievable.

Yeah, I guess I've always been fascinated in whats there and what it looks like etc. Them courses sound quite interesting to do, what sort of things do they involve? 

I take classes from Coursera, which covers a wide arrange of topics. The next course I start on Tuesday covers the evolution of the universe, with topics such as dark energy, anti-matter, the Higgs Boson, etc.

I would also recommend Khan Academy, as it has a lot more videos that cover the basics.

• Brohoof 1

I took astrophysics back in high school. It was a great class. I used to be able to identify a lot of constellations, but pretty much all of that left my head. I got to use my teacher's telescope, which was a lot of fun. I can't afford one of my own, sadly, so I'm stuck looking at light pollution.

• Brohoof 1

I take classes from Coursera, which covers a wide arrange of topics. The next course I start on Tuesday covers the evolution of the universe, with topics such as dark energy, anti-matter, the Higgs Boson, etc.

I would also recommend Khan Academy, as it has a lot more videos that cover the basics.

Oh ok cool thanks for the info. I'd heard previously that you can do them online but wasn't sure where I could. I'll take a look at them, maybe they'll help me haha, thanks again!

I took astrophysics back in high school. It was a great class. I used to be able to identify a lot of constellations, but pretty much all of that left my head. I got to use my teacher's telescope, which was a lot of fun. I can't afford one of my own, sadly, so I'm stuck looking at light pollution.

Light pollution's a bitch haha, I live near quite a busy town and all I see in one corner of my garden is an orange glow, completely obscuring my view... It really annoys me XD

Edited by Raritas
  • Brohoof 1

Astronomy? Of course! I've always been interested in knowing about the stars, planets, and beyond. Though I used to want to be an astronomer for a long time, it's still pretty cool to me.

I've never had a good telescope however (the first and only one I've had was more for "bird-watching"), since the good ones are a bit expensive and I worry that I might not get to use it very often. I'd probably want to point it at the nearby gas giants, the moon, the sun, and Mars when possible. Space!

• Brohoof 1

It is indeed one of my passions. But since I have seen and readed everything on the subject, I left it behind.

I'm currently interested in psychology and chemistry. ;)

Also, this light pollution is areally a pain. Sometimes the sky is completly orange, it's terrible.

Edited by GhostPony750
  • Brohoof 1

I LOVE Astronomy! Always a big fan of anything that's not on Earth! I haven't really taken any pictures but I really want to. My father has a telescope, which is quite large, but I don't really know the specs on it, I'll have to ask.

My favorite thing is probably Nebulae, they're just so colorful and preeetty :wacko:

• Brohoof 1

Rocketry is more my speed (ho ho ho) but I do enjoy the great cosmic vistas.

There are not enough pictures in existence of Mimas and Iapetus, those really awesome bizzare Saturnian moons.

Iapetus_706_1419_1.jpg

Fig 1: Proposed name "Planet Walnuts"

OMG IT'S THE DEATH STAR TRYING TO HIDE!

CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS CHARACTERS

• Brohoof 2

I was always interested in the stars,planets, anything beyond earth.  

The picture you took is really good I've never done anything like that before. :o

Your signature is awesome too :)

Edited by Unipeg
  • Brohoof 1

Rocketry is more my speed (ho ho ho) but I do enjoy the great cosmic vistas.

There are not enough pictures in existence of Mimas and Iapetus, those really awesome bizzare Saturnian moons.

img-1804452-1-Iapetus_706_1419_1.jpg

Fig 1: Proposed name "Planet Walnuts"

Wow, that's quite cool. I like the strange ring shape round the middle, makes it look even more misshapen. The ice on the top looks awesome as well.

I LOVE astronomy! I love science in general, but astronomy is my favorite branch! I love studying our universe's stars and planets and finding more about them. I only see one flaw in it: why not call astronomers skyentists? :P

• Brohoof 1

Astronomy? Of course! I've always been interested in knowing about the stars, planets, and beyond. Though I used to want to be an astronomer for a long time, it's still pretty cool to me.

I've never had a good telescope however (the first and only one I've had was more for "bird-watching"), since the good ones are a bit expensive and I worry that I might not get to use it very often. I'd probably want to point it at the nearby gas giants, the moon, the sun, and Mars when possible. Space!

My telescope isn't too great either to be honest compared to a lot of others. Although it does pick out the planets quite well, Saturn looks amazing and I can pick out jupiters moons. I reckon your one could have gotten a reasonable view.

I LOVE Astronomy! Always a big fan of anything that's not on Earth! I haven't really taken any pictures but I really want to. My father has a telescope, which is quite large, but I don't really know the specs on it, I'll have to ask.

My favorite thing is probably Nebulae, they're just so colorful and preeetty :wacko:

Nebulae are amazing to see, even though telescopes like mine can't really show their colours (due to receptors in our eyes or something like that...), it's still great to see the clouds and their shapes.

I was always interested in the stars,planets, anything beyond earth.  

The picture you took is really good I've never done anything like that before. :o

Your signature is awesome too :)

Thanks! I thought it was a funny idea when I saw that planet. My picture was more of a first attempt, I'm trying to get better ones.

I LOVE astronomy! I love science in general, but astronomy is my favorite branch! I love studying our universe's stars and planets and finding more about them. I only see one flaw in it: why not call astronomers skyentists? :P

Haha Skyentists XD Never thought of it like that before! It would make a lot of sense haha. 

i like astronomy. i don't study it or anything, but it interests me. i always enjoy campouts where we can watch the stars or figure out which constellation is which and stuff like that.

The stars and constellations amaze me as well. I try to learn them, but there's just too many!

I was huge into astronomy as a kid but not that much now. I still find it very interesting in general and I can't get enough of those space documentaries :)

Oh, I love the documentaries. I always like to learn new things about the subject, no matter what the show is talking about.

• Brohoof 2

Wow, that's quite cool. I like the strange ring shape round the middle, makes it look even more misshapen. The ice on the top looks awesome as well.

Mimas is even better.

moon_480_poster.png

mimas-portrait.jpg

Scientists are completely baffled why Saturn's moons have such strange features. According to what we know about mass physics, Mimas should've been shattered by an asteroid large enough to cause such a crater. As for Iapetus's 13km tall, 1300km long mountain ridge, no one has a solid clue why it's there.

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 1

Oh yes,i'm a huge astronomy fan too.Planets are interesting and the universe is truly fascinating.I have a few books on the subject.However,I'm deathly scared of asteroids,comets and others for obvious reasons

I'm more into meteorology (weather) but yeah, astronomy is pretty cool, too. I'm more interested in the stargazing part of astronomy than the space part if that makes any sense. My favorite thing to do is watch meteor showers and make out constellations I've never seen before. I've also got this 8 inch telescope and the Moon, Jupiter, and Saturn look amazing through it. :D

Astronomy.......

The class I enrolled for college, yet at the end, I couldn't enter because of my parents inability to help......

Other than that, Astronomy is something I always had interest in terms of learning about the constellations, the planets, and the overall galaxy system.

I most certainly do have an interest in astronomy. In fact, I am currently strongly considering the possibility of becoming a professional astronomer someday. I want to learn more about the universe, and becoming an astronomer would be a wonderful way in which I could do that. I would be able to observe space, and then use mathematics, physics, and computer science to analyze my observations. It would also be great to become an astronaut someday - having a graduate level education and subsequent research experience involving physics/astronomy, mathematics, and computer programming would help increase my chances of being able to become one.

• Brohoof 2