Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone Interested in Astronomy?

Raritas

YES!

I always wanted to be an astronomer as a kid and i still do :D

I just love learning about stars and planets and stuff like that :D

• Brohoof 1

Back when I lived in a rural mountainous region of Puerto Rico I would sometimes lie down in the grass at night, flat on my back, just to observe the seemingly infinite black void stretching out in front of me. I would marvel at the fact the universe has no up or down, and that I'm really just a tiny thing clinging to a big space rock for dear life. It was quite a humbling experience. 

So, to answer the question, yes. I'm not as well studied on the subject as I'd like to be, but I'm fascinated by space.

Someday I intend to pursue my passion for space by enlisting in Starfleet. Or becoming a smuggler under the employ of Jabba the Hutt. I haven't made up my mind yet.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...

@Simon why don't you merge topics instead of locking them? :(

Anyway:

Astronomy is my favorite science (it's a shame we don't study it a lot in school), I've always been intrigued and amazed by space, and I've always dreamed to explore other planets/galaxies.

I even wanted to be an astronomer when I was younger (today I'm not really sure...)

It's crazy to think there are countless other galaxies, who knows what could be in some of them?

Edited by Blobulle

I love astronomy; personally. I actually took a class on it back in college, and it was quite the eye-opening experience.

But yeah I won't pretend to be an expert, but I love watching various documentaries and listening to "Star Date" every morning on public radio. :wub:

• Brohoof 1

I love astronomy; personally. I actually took a class on it back in college, and it was quite the eye-opening experience.

But yeah I won't pretend to be an expert, but I love watching various documentaries and listening to "Star Date" every morning on public radio. :wub:

Did NOVA|PBS take your soul? If not, room for one more...  :ooh:

Did NOVA|PBS take your soul? If not, room for one more...  :ooh:

I've never watched NOVA before, actually. ^^;

I presume it is astronomy based?

• Brohoof 1

I've never watched NOVA before, actually. ^^;

I presume it is astronomy based?

They science it. Their space documentaries are really good - a lot of 'em old-ish. Nevertheless... Fun to watch.  :squee:

• Brohoof 1

They science it. Their space documentaries are really good - a lot of 'em old-ish. Nevertheless... Fun to watch.  :squee:

I need to catch those the next time I get the chance. :)

• Brohoof 1

I used to spend hours studying astronomy and cosmology. I had a specific interest in black holes, the lifespan of a star, dark matter and dark energy, and especially the ultimate fate of the Universe and all of the fascinating theories surrounding this cosmological topic. It's been so long since I've invested time in studying astronomy, roughly two years, and I've been meaning to get back into it for some time.

Can anyone recommend some good courses I can take online or good books that I can read?

• Brohoof 1

A passing interest, what I'm really interested is in how it relates to the future. Space colonization is the next stop for human civilization and mapping and understanding the heavens is going to become more important and much easier in the coming centuries.

• Brohoof 1

Astronomy is my passion^^ I totally love it and it's my dream to become an astronomer... Btw, has anyone seen the eclipse today? ^^

No ._. There were too many clouds...
  • Brohoof 2

I love astronomy! The universe we live in is so vast and breathtaking, I can't help but gaze at the night sky. Someday I would like to have a telescope so I can see the planets and the stars more clearly.

• Brohoof 2

I used to spend hours studying astronomy and cosmology. I had a specific interest in black holes, the lifespan of a star, dark matter and dark energy, and especially the ultimate fate of the Universe and all of the fascinating theories surrounding this cosmological topic. It's been so long since I've invested time in studying astronomy, roughly two years, and I've been meaning to get back into it for some time.

Can anyone recommend some good courses I can take online or good books that I can read?

Are you looking for refreshers or a casual overstudy? There's lots of free courses - some on YouTube, etc... MIT, Notre Dame, Harvard, what-have-you...

Are you looking for refreshers or a casual overstudy? There's lots of free courses - some on YouTube, etc... MIT, Notre Dame, Harvard, what-have-you...

I'd say a casual over-study since I forgot so much lol

Do you know any good books about cosmology? I find that learning via reading helps me retain information better, but I would prefer to read books (not textbooks) that won't cause me to fall asleep halfway through xD

Thanks for the course recommendations btw :)

• Brohoof 1

I'd say a casual over-study since I forgot so much lol

Do you know any good books about cosmology? I find that learning via reading helps me retain information better, but I would prefer to read books (not textbooks) that won't cause me to fall asleep halfway through xD

Thanks for the course recommendations btw :)

Anytime. 

Amazon has some good books on cosmology. Also, you could visit The Library of Congress online. Tons of free books there. OpenCourseWare is just as good as any book you'd find.  :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 2

Yup... thats what im planning to do at university...im surely gonna go for a bachlor....and i'd <3 a master in astronomy...

... but the physics we do know (Which i dont know why we need)... is...bo...ring.... calculate the time a pencil takes to hit the ground from 5m if there is no air resistance -_-

Total time spent watching space documentaries rivals my time playing PC games.... which is saying something =p

I mean space.... the final frontier... its beautiful <3

spennding so much time on the hubble site.

10007551623_f4fdaa249e_z.jpg 10007269344_f87fcd372e_z.jpg 10007037905_96e60006e0_z.jpg

Space is the future

• Brohoof 3

• 5 years later...

I know quite a lot already, like the fact that if we turned Jupiter on fire, we would have 2 suns in our solar system. And if we also turned Earth on fire, we would have three!!! :eager: