Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Games that made you scared because of their atmosphere

SolyWack

The Oddworld games have always freaked me out a little in it's design, especially as a younger gamer. The strange creatures and theme on gritty, heavy industry vs vast, untamed wilderness coupled with a rather creepy soundtrack was always something that made me a little unhinged whenever I played it.

No game's atmosphere itself actually scared me, but it certainly was an enhancement to the terror you experienced from in game entities and characters. Games like Silent Hill, Clocktower, and Resident Evil had brilliant, and unsettling environments that added to the fear factor. 

I remember when my mother gift me Silent Hill: Shattered Memories as a kid. I was whit one of my best friends and we decide to play it. We start good, but at one point non of us want to grab the controller. The music, the images, the tranquility of the game gave us nightmares

You know I really liked the idea of only being able to run away from the demons in that game. They made it pretty easy to do and it only got monotonous when you got lost in an ice labyrinth.

I'd highly recommend finishing it if you never did. The ending is phenomenal.

I played some horror games when I was a kid, they couldn't even come close to my dreams in terms of atmosphere.  If I had my kid self from back then play an atmospheric game now, he really wouldn't be that scared, even now I don't really fear the atmosphere of games even though I don't play them often.