Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Spike be written out of FiM?

Rocky

This actually made me stop and think...

He actually, for all intents and purposes, have BEEN written out of the EQG series!

he's a dog now: A REGULAR dog. For the majority of the Third EQG movie, he's pretty much guaranteed to be non-sapient and unable to speak. Even if he gets zapped with magic near the end and given the ability to speak, he's had a severe drop in his character power in that series :(

This kind of makes me feel queasy about how much hasbro cares about him: I mean, he's not a "girl" character that they can make toys of, and he's not a vapid love interest like flash sentry, so hasbro has no financial incentive to care about him :(

• Brohoof 2

GASPPP!. Don't take Spikey Wikey away : 3

Although, if one compare the old gens of MLP characters all together. Spike is probably the best developed character in Gen 4. If i had to pick something ^ _ ^

Edited by Finia

I can see it now.... Episode title: Letting Go.

Synopsis: Spike gets tragically ran over by the Ponyville express, and dies in hospital from being flattened by a train. Then they spend the rest of the episode suing the train conductor for negligence..... Fun for all the kiddies!!!

sounds better than any other Spike episode that's been written.

This actually made me stop and think...

He actually, for all intents and purposes, have BEEN written out of the EQG series!

he's a dog now: A REGULAR dog. For the majority of the Third EQG movie, he's pretty much guaranteed to be non-sapient and unable to speak. Even if he gets zapped with magic near the end and given the ability to speak, he's had a severe drop in his character power in that series :(

This kind of makes me feel queasy about how much hasbro cares about him: I mean, he's not a "girl" character that they can make toys of, and he's not a vapid love interest like flash sentry, so hasbro has no financial incentive to care about him :(

To be honest, I'd live with it if he's written out of the EQG series. While he was great in the 1st one, he didn't do a whole lot or say a whole lot in the 2nd film aside from tracking down Vinyl to get the manes out from under the stage. 

You have to wonder if Cathy herself has a problem at any point with how Spike his written in the show. 

I really like Spike, but I think that, when time comes, they would probably write him out of the series. Latest episodes (+the Spike ones) had little impact on him and it has shown that writers can't handle a story with his character.

He is written badly unfortunately, which is a shame because he has the potential to become an incredibly deep character if the writers play their cards right. Like others have said, he seems to be stuck in a loop where he forgets everything that he has learned, though Equestria Games did better. I don't want him written out since he can provide a unique perspective that no other character can really share. 

But if they make a stupid decision and decide to unfairly deport him from the show, then I hope they at least do it well.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yeah I'd be more than happy to end Spike episodes all together if it meant we get more appearances like Lesson Zero or Equestria Girls supportive friend Spike. That's where he's at his best. Focus more on developing the mane six, CMCs, and Discord since the writers have a better idea on how to do so. When it comes to developing Spike, they're clearly lost. 

Edited by Rocky

(edited)

Why do you think it is that Spike gets a bad wrap from fans that say he never does anything and yet the Cutie Mark Crusaders always get a pass? I mean the three of them are older so they can do more to help out in a given situation. Then again, the CMCs are usually absent in most mane six stories. 

Or maybe it's gotten to the point where the mane six have all been written so well that Spike's writing seems underwhelming by comparison. I'd still watch the show even if Spike gets written out.

Edited by Rocky

Has Spike ever had character development?

Power ponies.

Spike learns to accept that just becuase he's not on the same level of power as the mane six doesn't mean he's not as important or that his contributions aren't helpful and neccessary to the others.

(edited)

Power ponies.

Spike learns to accept that just becuase he's not on the same level of power as the mane six doesn't mean he's not as important or that his contributions aren't helpful and neccessary to the others.

I feel that was more of a lesson that fans needed to learn more than Spike. 

Edited by Rocky

I see Spike more as comedy relief, however he shouldn't be written out because of it. Power Ponies was very entertaining mainly because of all the superhero references and I love how Spike is a comic book fan. Spike is a pretty enjoyable character, I don't really mind his episodes and I find them entertaining and a nice break from the Season's main storyline.

I see Spike more as comedy relief, however he shouldn't be written out because of it. Power Ponies was very entertaining mainly because of all the superhero references and I love how Spike is a comic book fan. Spike is a pretty enjoyable character, I don't really mind his episodes and I find them entertaining and a nice break from the Season's main storyline.

I don't think people realize just how big a part spike really is. He is from the Original MLP, him and Applejack are the only two original characters. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crLWtqshVbU

He might not be a main character but he has a bigger role than other ponies. This is almost like saying we should write out Big Mac, or Granny Smith, or Spitfire. They all only have small roles in the series but they are well loved, and I have never seen them as toys, they might but none that I have seen. 

There should be an episode where Spike does leave, he has to be somewhere else because of Celesta or something dragon related. While he is gone we should watch Twilight and the others have to go through their days without him. He plays a large role in each of their daily lives and we see it throughout each season.

He might not have many speaking roles but he isn't always messing things up, and it is also a lesson for him, he is after all a baby dragon. 

Sorry if that felt like I was a bit heavy there, but I <3 Spike and I grew up with the Original ponies and he was a big part of it. :D

• Brohoof 1

No, just write him with a progressing arc. I suggested in a previous video that he should become the CMC's mentor and apply the lessons about growing up to them so they can get their cutie marks. I don't see why they should write him out of the show. If you don't want to focus on him anymore, just keep him as a secondary character. It doesn't hurt anyone

• Brohoof 1

You know the funny thing is when I first heard about Equestria Girls, I was hoping they would keep Spike out of it to spare him the humiliation. Like just keep him in the FiM world since he can actually do stuff there. 

I've imagined in the past that Spike goes off to find out who he is by getting his own show. Like he would be a group of younger dragons or other creatures like him who also want to figure out where they belong and the show is basically about their journey and the colorful characters they meet along the way. This is in the case that maybe the writers just don't have time to develop Spike when they already have the mane six and the Cutie Mark Crusaders. 

Spike needs another good episode. That one where his greed overtook him was great, in my opinion. Also, I kind of liked the one where Rarity got possessed by that spellbook thing. However, lately it appears as if he is lacking much character development :/

I don't hate Spike as a character but they have a had a ton of poor Spike episodes from the last couple seasons. I don't want him written out, I just don't want to see him as a focus and done badly.