Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Spike be written out of FiM?

Rocky

(edited)

Hypothetically speaking, how much do you think the overall show and character would be affected if Spike was written out of the show at the end of S5? 

I'm a Spike fan. He's my favorite character in the show probably but I can't help but feel discouraged every time someone says they hate Spike for reasons he can't really control. So I'm thinking, "What happens if the haters got their wish and Spike was written out of the show completely?" I mainly feel this way since Spike is literally the only character in the show who has this problem. 

I mean it's pretty obvious to me that the writers are struggling to write Spike in his own episodes and in situation when he's not the comedic relief. 

Edited by Rocky
  • Brohoof 5

He needs to be put in more as a character and he needs another episode himself. Also, Twilight needs to acknowledge him before he becomes any big character. Just my two bits. 

• Brohoof 5

@Rocky, updated your topic title so people would actually know what it is about before they click through since there are those do like to ignore topics that are commonly discussed since as this one. Spike is well written when used in a supporting role (Amending Fences was decent Spike). Personally, there are a few Spike episodes I liked so I would rather he stay on the show. 

• Brohoof 8

Whenever Spike is in a supporting role, or they give Spike a good conflict for his own episode (which rarely happens) he's a welcome edition to the show. He can be more level-headed than Twilight, and he can have more common sense than RD. He has likability, the writers just don't know how to use him outside of a supporting role.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think this should be the case. Spike has tons of untapped potential and he works fantastically as a support character, which I personally think he has been almost this whole time. Are they doing it worse now? Kinda, which is sad, but I would rather have the potential for him to be great again rather than him just being gone. The show would not be the same without him, to me.

• Brohoof 5

Get ready to groan because I'm going to say it again Season 1 and 2 represented him better and I really laughed at how he played out for comedic relief, after those seasons not so much. And also Dragon Quest, best Spike episode ever.

No, he just needs to be written better. Seasons 1 and 2 did a good job with him actually but after that eh which is rather sad actually though it is still not too late to change that. There are all sorts of things that can be done with Spike. 

• Brohoof 2

He definitely needs to be written better 'cause he has a lot of character potential. As others said, he's great as a supporting character but when he's the lead, he's portrayed as a bumbling and inept sidekick. Should he be written off the show for that? Hell no! He just needs to be written a lot better when he's the main focus.

• Brohoof 1

MLP without Spike!? It will never be the same show! Never! Spike is Twilight's little baby, if Twilight lost Spike I feel Twilight would be very unhappy. The two have been with each other since Twilight was a filly, they both went through many experiences in life together and shared many a moment together. I think Spike needs to stay in the show if not for the simple reason he has a strong relationship with Twilight.

• Brohoof 3

Art become perfect not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. Spike could easily be removed, so in my opinion he should be. However, My Little Pony is a children's show meant to sell toys, so I strongly doubt Hasbro would remove a character.

@Rocky, updated your topic title so people would actually know what it is about before they click through since there are those do like to ignore topics that are commonly discussed since as this one. Spike is well written when used in a supporting role (Amending Fences was decent Spike). Personally, there are a few Spike episodes I liked so I would rather he stay on the show. 

I came here pretty much to post this. /)

In a supporting role, Spike is one of my favourite characters. Unfortunately the perceptive qualities he exhibits in a supporting role appear to often desert him in his standalone episodes, which renders him far less favourable in my eyes. I would not like to see Spike written out under any circumstances, instead I would rather that his episodes improve in quality (particularly in terms of character portrayal). 

No way! He's too big a part of the show. His mistakes are an important part of his character. Plus he seems to learn from them in the end. As Twilight's sidekick Spike has an important role in the show just like Twilight and her friends.

(edited)

Spike helped save the Crystal Empire and at the Equestria games again he proves to be a hero, but thats not my point, he plays an important role in the show, Twilight been taking care of him ever since he hatched, he has a throne in the castle, removing him it is like removing one of the 6 mane.

Edited by FrozenSpark
  • Brohoof 2

No, he just needs to be written better.

This, and with more consistency as well. As it stands, his best characterizations have come mostly from McCarthy, who clearly appears to understand him far better than just about anyone else on the writing staff.  

• Brohoof 1

No. I think scrapping his character would be a really pointless pursuit. If there's something wrong with the character, then the writers should strive to fix it. Taking him out of the show only causes more harm than good. He is Twilight Sparkle's assistant and best friend as well as the lead male figure on the show. You just can't write out such a well-established and vital character.

I actually don't think Spike is written nearly as bad as a lot of fans make him out to be. He's been the butt of a lot of jokes since even season 1, and his episodes weren't really any better back then either. He just plays the support role better than the leading role, and that's okay. I do agree that he could be more consistent overall.

• Brohoof 5

Make him a supporting voice of reason that keeps the other characters from going insane

Even in Spike-Centric episodes, I'd rather have him help others with their problems

He's good at that, but not when he's in the spotlight

• Brohoof 4

Hell no!

Spike is one of my favorite characters. Even if hes own episodes tend to be pretty bad (though I actually liked Equestria Games, sue me), I think he does a pretty good job as a support role. I'd be bummed if they wrote him out.

• Brohoof 4

I dunno why people would even want to remove him, he's an important character in the show(and I often regard him as the mane 6...or 7 in my case)

Also I actually like most of his episodes >_>

• Brohoof 2