Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could G5 be in the works?

Sobana

Hasbro has put out a new job listing.

Link here.

It sounds like they are looking for someone to create a new show bible and style for the next generation.

If it is I wonder how much of G4 will be carried over.

Is the ride over? Could this be the real end?

• Brohoof 2

Generation 5!? I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the works. But we will probably not hear anything about it unless it's leaked. Meantime I am just going to enjoy the ride with Gen 4. I still don't believe a Gen 5 is needed any time soon so probably keep it on the waiting list for 5 or years maybe.

• Brohoof 1

Considering G4 won't be over until at least 2017, if they're planning on a G5 now, there's going to be hardly any time between one ending and the next beginning. This may or may not faze the younger fans, but the older ones might not appreciate FiM being buried so quick. They may be hiring a replacement for someone on the current show whose departure has not been announced yet.

I strongly suspect Apple horse will be in G5, since she's been in 3 out of 4 of the past gens. G1, G3, and G4.
Also, Spike.

As far as the toys go, Applejack has been in all four generations. And yes, Spike. He's been in every version of the cartoon.

To me this makes no sense. :confused: Why kill off a popular series when it's still in it's prime.

G4 is still running strong, it is what caused the fandom explosion. Why would Hasbro want to kill off one of its biggest money makers? I dunno this seems like a stupid move on their part. :wat: (and I understand flash animation is becoming obsolete, but it's colorful and eye-catching.) 

• Brohoof 1

A generation for each decade so far and consumer tastes change. G5 would have to be a topic of discussion as these things take years to set up! Even if it was mostly just small changes to the 'look' of the ponies, the next gen will need to be a lot more interactive. It will have a chip in it for something, even if it's only charector traits for a game.

I'd quite like a 1terra-byte luna with inductive-loop castle plat set :)

• Brohoof 1

It wouldn't be likely for them to start a new generation so soon. Even if G4 ends in 2017 when the movie releases I would think that G5 if it ever comes into existence wouldn't start until after 2020, there have been big gaps between generations in the past.

• Brohoof 1

IF By chance this is the Star Trek er, MLP The Next Generation, I just have one question...

How does one get on board the team?

I dunno sure who will get to join the team?

It wouldn't be likely for them to start a new generation so soon. Even if G4 ends in 2017 when the movie releases I would think that G5 if it ever comes into existence wouldn't start until after 2020, there have been big gaps between generations in the past.

Don't think G4 will be ending after the 2017 movie.

I don't think we'll be seeing a new generation of ponies for quite a while.

I think you're right Silver Letter, a current generation will last forever though...Literally.

Link here.

It sounds like they are looking for someone to create a new show bible and style for the next generation.

If I were a showrunner, I would use the same art style and show bible for the next generation or Generation 4.1 (in case for the CMC spinoff). And FYI, I don't want G4 to end, Badly!

Edited by MAIKUN

I see nothing that would indicate yea or nay to an evolution of the IP, especially considering this is a posting for the direct report of the position held by Donna Tobin until mid last year. Basically the Global needs a Lieutenant. ;)

This could just be them trying to get a new creative lead to take the show in a new direction, however yes it's possible this is for producing a 5th generation.

I would say some, but not a lot. The reasoning being that they would want to differentiate it. Plus if someone new came in and their style was that similar to Lauren Faust, I imagine there may be lawsuits to answer to...

Yeah this does seem like another re-launch, however though an entire re-launch will take longer then a single year to create, and there's still the movie on the way so we've got until at least 2018.

Exactly! This could be a several year process they are planning out.

if they're planning on a G5 now, there's going to be hardly any time between one ending and the next beginning. This may or may not faze the younger fans, but the older ones might not appreciate FiM being buried so quick.

Going to make some bronies mad but: Hasbro may not care about that. They are focusing on their target audience who has been true to them since the start. You have to consider it from Hasbro's standpoint: which is the safer bet? The fanbase that's always been there since the 80s or this new fanbase that spawned out of nowhere and they can not even fully explain how they acquired them?

I think Hasbro has accepted that bronies may be temporary and thus they have accepted that it might be time to move on from them.

To me this makes no sense. Why kill off a popular series when it's still in it's prime.

It's more gracious to end something while it's still good rather than run it into the ground to where a reboot or a new generation would be harder to pull off.

G4 is still running strong, it is what caused the fandom explosion. Why would Hasbro want to kill off one of its biggest money makers? I dunno this seems like a stupid move on their part. (and I understand flash animation is becoming obsolete, but it's colorful and eye-catching.) 

Longevity. Bronies may not be forever. Hasbro isn't going to rely on a fanbase that popped up 5 years ago out of nowhere. That's not a safe business move. Hasbro took bronies as they came, but that doesn't mean they need to start focusing on making sure they KEEP bronies. I think it's pretty clear that Hasbro is prepared to lose bronies if they need to.

If I were a showrunner, I would use the same art style and show bible for the next generation or Generation 4.1 (in case for the CMC spinoff). And FYI, I don't want G4 to end, Badly!

Copyright issues are involved. Lauren Faust might throw a fit if they hired someone who just ripped off her style.

It was already confirmed last year that G4 would last at least five more years (which is four relative to today): http://www.equestria...hat-do-you.html  So, nothing to worry about for four years.

Errr... He just said that MLP will last 5 more years. He never said G4, or that meant new seasons or anything. Just that MLP will last 5 more years. That's very vague. 

Wait. What do you mean "G5 Ready for G4"?

I mean that like after G4, G5 Can start right after that, and we wont have a LLOOONNNGGG WAIT... 

Link here.

Wow good point. Why not get Meghan McCarthy to be the showrunner for the next generation too?

Wow good point. Why not get Meghan McCarthy to be the showrunner for the next generation too?

No point in revamping if you are going to just get someone who will do it "the same way".

OK, what do you mean "revamping if you are going to get someone who will do it like G4"?

There is little point in making a new generation if they make the headrunner someone who is going to make it more like the last one. If that was the case they would just keep the last one running. Obviously if they are changing the show enough to warrant a new generation, they want a completely fresh and new approach.

And yes, Spike. He's been in every version of the cartoon.

Um, Spike never appeared in the second cartoon. The second cartoon didn't even really have magic in it either.

Note that the job listing is for the Franchise Creative Lead, which is not the same position that Meghan McCarthy or Lauren Faust had. They were Producers, and Meghan is now Head of Storytelling. The way the job listing reads, Franchise Creative Lead is actually more geared towards their toy lines and the like, not the shows which Hasbro has previously considered to be a separate endeavor that just happens to be part of the same IP. Or, this could be part of the consolidation effort that Hasbro has been struggling with ever since FiM took off unexpectedly.

• Brohoof 2