Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

To plush or not to plush?

ThePoniMan

So after attending a day of BronyCon, I was inspired by some of the artists and products that I saw in the market. Some of the plushies were absolutely gorgeous. When I was back at the hotel that night, I thought to myself, "Gee, wouldn't it be cool if someday I could make something like that?" It has been a long, long, long time since I have done hands-on activities/crafts, but the Brony community is inspiring me to begin them again. Does anyone know of some good beginner plushie tutorials for someone who has literally no knowledge of sewing?

A Bit About Me

My inspiration for this interest comes from three things. First, I really would like to posses the ability to make any type of plushie I want. It just seems so cool to have such power and skill to fully express my creativity. Second, I am trying to find a hobby that I can enjoy. I have tried music, commentary, etc., but I just can't seem to get attached to any one hobby. I really want to get into programming, but I do not have that self drive to self-teach myself, and my school does not offer ANY computer science/programming classes, so I guess I'll be waiting until college. Third, and last of all, I really want to make stuff that changes people's lives. I want to make others feel good with something that I make. Just the thought of positively influencing someone's life, whether it be in a large or small way, makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. I want to make others happy. :kindness:

• Brohoof 2

You should totally take this on!

Thanks for the inspiration :)

My only problem is getting started. I need to push myself to physically go out and buy supplies. I always have issues starting something, but usually once I do, I can work on stuff non-stop. My mom actually has a bunch of regular sewing supplies (including a machine!) because she sometimes has to make costumes for dance recitals. Also, I don't have to hide what I am doing because she finally knows that I am a Brony :P

I can't see a thread about plushies finally and not comment, haha.

Do it! There are tons of resources to help you get started. You can start out playing with fleece or felt (I'd recommend fleece) which you can pick up at even Wal-mart, really. There are sooo many patterns online to assist you in learning the basics. If you're super new, I would start out doing basic shapes and kind of learning the construction. Make a sphere, make a square, a cone...learn how to turn fabric and stuff it, and learn how to ladder stitch. 

More intense patterns and better materials come with time and totally aren't needed to get a good handle on sewing as a skill. 

Pony wise - http://silentwolfcreations.deviantart.com/art/Pony-Plushie-Pattern-342587922is a pretty alright look into what ponies entail. As you improve you learn stuff you need to do to make your final product better, but a simple pattern that is completely marked with junctions (connect the letters to each other, whoo) can't be beat. 

Learning the concept of what you're trying to do is a ton more important than your tools. Heck, cut up an old tshirt and go at it, haha. You're very right about the joy of making other's happy - this is one of my favorite parts about plush making  :lol:  If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask. I really like to see people get into the craft - sewing as a whole seems to be typed as something for a very older crowd and not really enjoyable, haha. It can be! 

• Brohoof 2

@@Joseph Stallion

Just letting you know that I moved your thread to the Other section of Creative Resources as it deals with plushes.

Thanks. :)