Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spike grows for being greedy? How does that work?

'Rainbow Dash'

Hey, this is Rainbow Dash, the greatest pony of all.

OK, Twilight told me that Spike grows giant when he's greedy and collects things. How does that work? That makes NO sense.

Can somebody explain this to me please.

Probably he has some sort of evil magic in him that whenevar he wants more that he can get(example=his birthday episode)he becomes bigger and also loses his personality and acts wild.

obviously his egg was found in nuclear sludge, in which he gained several mutations: the ability to grow as he becomes greedier, the ability to teleport things by incinerating them and that adorable face. seriously, how else can he be that adorable?

or I guess it could just be magic, but I mean, that gets kinda old after you say it too much...

• Brohoof 1

Well, Zecora didn't really explain it very well, but apparently, dragon's grow when they start building hoards of items. This probably explains why pretty much every fully-grown dragon in the show is seen with or near a pile of jewels and treasure. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but it looks like the more the dragon collects, the bigger and greedier he gets.

Well, Zecora didn't really explain it very well, but apparently, dragon's grow when they start building hoards of items. This probably explains why pretty much every fully-grown dragon in the show is seen with or near a pile of jewels and treasure. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but it looks like the more the dragon collects, the bigger and greedier he gets.

I guess I'll go with it.

Its also possible that the size of the hoard itself doesn't make them grow but instead the want to add something to their hoard. There was this scene where Twilight distracted Spike with a floating broom. Spike didn't have the broom yet but when he decided he wanted it, he grew slightly.

When he stole Rarity, he grew the biggest because he wanted her the most.

According to classic mythology and legend, dragons horde gold and treasure. In European myths, dragons take gold, sheep, and virgin princesses. In oriental myths, serpents grow for every century they live. As they grow, they gain magical pearls or orbs. This orb contains their power. They horde this power to grow and mature into a dragon.

Posted Image

That is why asian dragons are often shown with an orb of some kind.

I like the idea of dragons growing in relation to their horde. It is not a recent idea, but it is still pretty cool.

That makes NO sense.

>Implying a show consisting of colorful talking ponies is supposed to make sense.

Edited by Devin Dash McCourty
  • Brohoof 5

I always thought it was Rita Repulsa that made him grow when she found out how greedy he was getting.

Edited by SBaby

You question MLP logic?

I saw the word logic, and my username... that is no coincidence so this thread calls for my 'genius' logic

They grow by greed because the show's creators needed a good reason for him to grow all big and greedy

ladies and gentleman.... Pinkazoid logic at it's finest

It does not make much sense, but then again it's a show about talking ponies and some of them have wings or unicorn horns.

But in Mlp logic it kinda makes sense.

The only thing I don't really get is if he never gets greedy will he never grow?

Dragons have always been greedy in western mythology. Its why knights like to kill them because you're sure they're always guarding some kind of treasure or loot in the form of their hoard.

I find it cool that the developers of MLP decided to use Greed to make Spike turn into a monster the way he did while at the same time written his character to have a crush on Rarity who is the bearer of the Element of Generosity. Coincidence or planned from the very beginning, its classical beauty saves the beast.

Personally I believe it is the way the grow in generally

If the grow by greed measures the become Strong,big and dumb extremely fast while if the grow normaly they become grow slowly,not so strong and smart.

That why all the dragons in his episdoe were all bigger and if you notice the full grown dragons don't talk at all(except that one line that the dragon said to Fluttershy but that was after The stare)

It could also be going along the lines of the story "Fablehaven" (not very popular) where sometimes changes happen with the simplest things with magical creatures.

Edited by Endpol