Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pegasister or Brony?

cookiequester

Agreed. I really could not care less what the majority (or any number of people) is somehow accepting as gender-neutral. "Bro" is a shortened form of "brother", which is masculine without any doubt. And it's true... If it were a term slanted feminine, it would have a much harder time being accepted as 'neutral', and that really bothers me. Language does matter, and I will not accept masculine terms as gender-neutral. To call something gendered gender-neutral doesn't make any sense... It's defeating the point of a term being gender-neutral, if it quite simply isn't.

But you just said you prefer the term Brony as a gender neutral term to describe female fans of MLP.

But you just said you prefer the term Brony as a gender neutral term to describe female fans of MLP.

Where on earth did I say that? o.O

Just because a name like "brony" sounds masculine doesn't mean it's male-oriented or vice-versa. "Masculinity" and "femininity" are gender-neutral social constructs and should be treated as such.

Please tell us more about what people should be comfortable with and how they are wrong for being uncomfortable.

In all seriousness, do you consider that possibility that despite how things "should be" or how you think they should be that people are still uncomfortable? Is their comfort not important? I am totally with Envy on this that if people do not feel comfortable being called "BROny" then they are within their right to call themselves whatever they want and for you to tell them that they can't is stripping them of their right to be comfortable. When you insist that they "must" wear the title that you wear (which is a self appointed title anyways) you're denying them the freedom of choice, the freedom of expression, and the freedom of comfort.

If you are going to sit here and try to convince me that they should just "stop being uncomfortable" then you are advocating control of emotion. Seriously, you are warding people away from wanting to be a brony with this kind of behavior. I thought this fandom was built upon the idea of being a safe and comfortable environment for everyone?

Brony is a term for men that like a show about ponies and it had been used to describe their stance against stigma of gender assignment. I would just call women that like MLP as the "intended audience."

As a girl myself, I personally severely dislike the term pegasister. Brony fits me better anyways as I hardly follow any kind of regular girly attitude.

As a girl myself, I personally severely dislike the term pegasister. Brony fits me better anyways as I hardly follow any kind of regular girly attitude.

Edited by SquipyCheetah
  • Brohoof 1

Brony is a term for men that like a show about ponies and it had been used to describe their stance against stigma of gender assignment. I would just call women that like MLP as the "intended audience."

#1. You didn't answer my last post. Could you please do that? I'm confused as to where you saw me say that.

#2. We aren't the intended audience either, actually. By gender, maybe, but not by age.

Neither.

Just a fan of MLP.

(although to call myself a fan anymore is kind of stretching it ;p)

Edited by Couleur

#1. You didn't answer my last post. Could you please do that? I'm confused as to where you saw me say that.

#2. We aren't the intended audience either, actually. By gender, maybe, but not by age.

Yes women are the intended audience for MLP. That's why there's a controversy over men liking My Little Pony.

It makes more sense for women past the intended age for MLP to like it because of nostalgia. Grown men liking Pokemon or Ninja Turtles are more acceptable than bronies because they may have some sort of nostalgia and haters say okay I've been a fan when I was little too so I'll leave those fandoms alone.

Yes women are the intended audience for MLP. That's why there's a controversy over men liking My Little Pony.

It makes more sense for women past the intended age for MLP to like it because of nostalgia. Grown men liking Pokemon or Ninja Turtles are more acceptable than bronies because they may have some sort of nostalgia and haters say okay I've been a fan when I was little too so I'll leave those fandoms alone.

#1. Please answer my question. I do believe you made a false assertion about what I said...

#2. No, little girls are the intended audience for MLP. Despite what you may believe, grown women get a lot of flack for enjoying MLP, too. My Little Pony is simply not seen in the same way as Pokemon or Ninja Turtles. It's not even 'cool' to be nostalgic about MLP. I've met plenty of women IRL who collected MLP when they were really young, and they just scoff at it now (with the exception of just one of my friends).

The thought of a grown woman still collecting the toys is also considered laughable. I keep my interest in MLP only between my close friends... And I haven't even told them about the ones I bought recently...

Grown women are not the intended audience. Maybe when we were really little, but as adults, no.

Yes, I understand that there is more flack for a guy liking MLP... But trust me, this also comes from a general devaluing of media and products aimed toward girls/women, and it effects us women who like it, too.

What?  No it isn't.  Where did you get that idea from?  :blink:

So...

Pegasister can refer to only girls.  Brony can refer to only boys or to both girls and boys.

Why does "brony" get to be the supposedly gender-neutral term?  Why can't "pegasister" be gender-neutral?  Is it because "pegasister" has the word "sister" in it, which makes it a bad evil word, and "brony" has "bro" in it which of course makes it a good word?   :ooh:   It is misogynistic to say that brony can be used as gender-neutral while pegasister isn't.  :okiedokielokie:

Darn right! I'd like your post, but you know, even the liking system in the 'Brony' fandom has to have 'bro' stamped in it.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

I definitely prefer brony, although people describe me as a pegasister because I'm female. I thing 'brony' has more of a ring to it and is easier to say. I just generally think it sounds better.

• Brohoof 1

Why does "brony" get to be the supposedly gender-neutral term?  Why can't "pegasister" be gender-neutral?  Is it because "pegasister" has the word "sister" in it, which makes it a bad evil word, and "brony" has "bro" in it which of course makes it a good word?   :ooh:   It is misogynistic to say that brony can be used as gender-neutral while pegasister isn't.  :okiedokielokie:

No one said the word "pegasister" is evil because it has the word "sister" in it, and no one said the word "brony" is good because it has "bro" in it. You're exaggerating. "Brony" is preferred as the gender-neutral term because socially/culturally (however you'd like to look at it), "Bro" is used to describe friends more than "Sister" is.

• Brohoof 2

#1. Please answer my question. I do believe you made a false assertion about what I said...

#2. No, little girls are the intended audience for MLP. Despite what you may believe, grown women get a lot of flack for enjoying MLP, too. My Little Pony is simply not seen in the same way as Pokemon or Ninja Turtles. It's not even 'cool' to be nostalgic about MLP. I've met plenty of women IRL who collected MLP when they were really young, and they just scoff at it now (with the exception of just one of my friends).

The thought of a grown woman still collecting the toys is also considered laughable. I keep my interest in MLP only between my close friends... And I haven't even told them about the ones I bought recently...

Grown women are not the intended audience. Maybe when we were really little, but as adults, no.

Yes, I understand that there is more flack for a guy liking MLP... But trust me, this also comes from a general devaluing of media and products aimed toward girls/women, and it effects us women who like it, too.

Darn right! I'd like your post, but you know, even the liking system in the 'Brony' fandom has to have 'bro' stamped in it.

They're still not getting the flack Bronies, men fans of MLP get, it's not even comparable. That's the main reason why the term Brony even existed to begin with to say "we are bros and we like ponies, deal with it."

Women have no need to create a term like this because nobody is going to give them the online sensational crapfest the Bronies would ever get. Even when female fans of MLP make some risque fanwork (not going to mention who and who but you get the picture) the men are still going to get insulted.

Edited by cider float

It's not because it's "used more"; it's because it's a masculine term and masculine forms of words always seem to be supposedly "better" or more "correct" than words that are female or actually gender-neutral, because of misogyny or male chauvinism.

No, it's because it's used more. Who said masculine pronouns are better? What? 

Using a masculine term as "gender-neutral" does not make it gender-neutral.  That would be like using the words "man", "he", and "him" to refer to females too and then claim it's neutral.

Of course, those words should be kept for men, but "bro" should not. "Bro" is different compared to those words in that it's used as just another word for "friend" because of it's excessive use as so throughout history. Its meaning has changed, it no longer refers to just men anymore. 

Why are "oh man" and "oh boy" used as exclamations? 

Because again, through history their meaning changed to not only refer to men.

Why are male pronouns used as default in some instructional texts?

Well, one gender's pronouns have to come first and it just usually happens to be men because those instructional texts were probably written by men. 

What?  No it isn't.  Where did you get that idea from? 

I suppose I got that impression by the insistence on the "love and tolerate" motto that gets thrown in my face repeatedly, and the insisting that this fandom does all these good things such as donate to charity. Foolish me for thinking that a group of men who get chastised for liking a girl's cartoon would actually be understanding and welcoming to people who were different. :3