Anypony here practice martial arts?

King Mars

I have taken some classes here and there, got to see a lot of forms of martial arts, some not-so-restrictive, and learned a bit from each one of them.

Do you remember which styles they were?

The result is a somewhat hybrid between MMA and dirty street fighting.

I personally find the logic of "good ol' fisticuffs/freestyle beats trained fighter" to be infuriating but I don't think that is what you are saying.

• Brohoof 1

Do you remember which styles they were?

I personally find the logic of "good ol' fisticuffs/freestyle beats trained fighter" to be infuriating but I don't think that is what you are saying.

Hmmm, let's see.

I've taken some Karate and Tai Kwan Do when I was a kid.  In the recent years, some MMA, Boxing, Muay Thai, Jeet Kune Do and Krav Maga here and there. I couldn't recall every single one but I did at least learn the basic of them. 

Well, I am not saying Good ol' freestyle always beats trained fighter. Even for these dirty street fighting techniques, often times one needs to train for them to execute them effectively. What I am saying is that some martial art forms have some limitation for safety purposes (usually during sparring for obvious reasons), but these rules usually do not apply when you are fighting for survival.

• Brohoof 1

I've taken some Karate and Tai Kwan Do when I was a kid.  In the recent years, some MMA, Boxing, Muay Thai, Jeet Kune Do and Krav Maga here and there. I couldn't recall every single one but I did at least learn the basic of them. 

A good base and at least those styles you are doing now are compatible in both technique and philosophy, lot of striking and very aggressive. 

Well, I am not saying Good ol' freestyle always beats trained fighter. Even for these dirty street fighting techniques, often times one needs to train for them to execute them effectively. What I am saying is that some martial art forms have some limitation for safety purposes (usually during sparring for obvious reasons), but these rules usually do not apply when you are fighting for survival.

In my experience, those "limitations" only come in the form of pads and my instructors have always told me we must train with the mindset of actual combat in order for them to actually be effective. The only "martial arts" I've seen with such clear limitations are children's karate, tai chi, and yoga. (Which has become so pacified only the oldest of schools would be effective in a fight. Hell, a lot of people don't even know it originally was a martial art.)

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

I do jujitsu. I'm currently a brown belt, working towards black. Haven't been able to train much though due to either having to commit to previous engagements or getting myself injured :lol:

• Brohoof 2

Bartitsu ftw ! I don't really think it is that efficient when it comes to self-defence but it is fun, at least !

Edited by White

What makes you say that it is not effective?

Well I fear that martial art can be pretty useless when the attacker is holding a gun.  :kindness:

Edited by White

Well I fear that martial art can be pretty useless when the attacker is holding a gun.  :kindness:

Then you incorporate other techniques to disarm him. Plus, forgive my ignorance, but if British Bartitsu was made relatively recently, wouldn't it have gun defense moves?

Then you incorporate other techniques to disarm him. Plus, forgive my ignorance, but if British Bartitsu was made relatively recently, wouldn't it have gun defense moves?

True. I'm still skeptical about their efficiency when it comes to real combat but it would be just my opinion.

Edited by White

True. I'm still skeptical about their efficiency when it comes to real combat but it would be just my opinion.

Well ideally you want to run from any fight, especially when the attacker is packing! But, if all else fails, the gun is just a factor, an important factor, but it does not totally invalidate your training if you know what to do.

~ ~ ~ ~ 

Again, where were all these Tae Kwon Do schools when I was growing up!?  :P

• Brohoof 1

I practice Kung Fu Hung Gar :3

I'll be doing my belt exam in october. Then I'll be a yellow belt (probably, lol).

Edit: it's in november actually O3O

Edited by Kyabetsuko
  • Brohoof 1

I practice Kung Fu Hung Gar :3

I'll be doing my belt exam in october. Then I'll be a yellow belt (probably, lol).

Edit: it's in november actually O3O

Oh awesome, a fellow Kung Fu person and an Earthbender at that!

• 4 years later...