Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spike's Age

GuyNamedEarl

Spike is considered to be a baby dragon, and dragons can live for thousands of years, so he is probably much older in human years. But if he was human, 9-10 is probably the best estimate. And the CMC are probably around the same.

I always figured he was around the age of the CMC, between 10 or 12 years old, but because he lives with Twilight, he will occasionally display a bit more maturity. I suspect that Spike works like most dragons in fantasy, and will live for hundreds of years, hence why he's been a "baby" physically for so long. 

I mean Spike displays serious dumb affection for Rarity. And I doubt Rarity or Twilight would be having a child do all their work for them. Plus Twilight has no reservations yelling and scolding at Spike for slacking off. That is considered child labor and I doubt any women would get a child to do all the work for them unless they arr unreasonably cruel.

Edited by cider float

The episode The Cutie Mark Chronicles (S1E23) shows Twilight hatching Spike during her entrance exam for Celestia's School.  At that time, Twilight was either 5 (applying for kindergarten) or 6 (1st grade).  So, the big question is "How long before the pilot was that?"  IMO, about 10 years.  This means The Secret of My Excess was his 11th birthday.  I also think Spike is about the age of the Cutie Mark Crusaders (give or take a year or so), but this is just my feeling based on the way they act.

Based on a dragon's probable life span, Spike is just a baby dragon.  In Dragon Quest, 1 of the dragons (Garble?), doesn't seem surprised Spike can't fly & implies that a Dragon's parents carry them on flights, migrations, etc.  This is why Spike can hold on to Twilight when she is flying in Princess Twilight

• Brohoof 1

I think Spike's around eleven or twelve, because he seems fairly mature and can make competent decisions, but he can also be really childish like when he ate the tub of ice cream in It's About Time. 

Going into complete headcanon, I also think dragons mature much more slowly than ponies and live much longer too, so he's going to stay that size until he's about twenty years old(assuming he doesn't get another greed growth spurt) and will only reach his full size at age one thousand or so.

Again, in Dragon Quest, Garble (?) mocks Spike for being a baby & says something to the effect that his mommy must have carried him on the migration. This implies that all dragons are born without wings & gain them later in life -like just hatched birds not being able to fly, but more so.  If Dragons live thousands of years, Spike is far less than 1% of his eventual age.

Of course, this raises the question "Why didn't he get wings when he grew in Secret of My Excess?"  IRL, I'd say the answer is "Somebody screwed up."  In show terms, maybe Spike is a Wyvern & not a Dragon (they are similar but not quite the same)

I generally place his age at the start of the series at 12 or 13, mostly from how old Twilight looked in "Cutie Mark Chronicles" which I based on how Sweetie Belle looked at her 5th birthday - Twilight looked only slightly older than SB in that scene, so I tend to think Twilight was 6 or 7 when she hatched him. Also it fits for her to be that young if Twilight really was a filly prodigy.

Now, if Twilight is somewhere around 19-20 at the start of the show, then doing the math makes Spike at 12-13 back then. Also he doesn't sound like a 10-year old to me; he sounds more like someone in middle school - though I'm not sure his voice is much of an indicator because dragon puberty is an unknown. (see below)

As for his current age: Because he's had one confirmed birthday since the series start plus the possibility of another since we've gone a year and a half since then (S5 appears to show they have gone from Fall to to Summer as of now), it's likely he's had yet another birthday. Therefore I put his current age at 14 or 15.

Back to dragon puberty, I don't think he's reached it yet. The writer in me wants to put it at something like 100 years old because that's oh-so dramatic and because of all the world building the show and fandom has done on the age of dragons. However the biologist in me wants it to be more like 20 years old because it's not likely a species would survive - even with fire, spikes, and claws - if they can't reproduce until they're over a century old! So I don't know what to say about that except my initial statement - he hasn't hit puberty yet, but still has the wisdom of someone in their teens.