Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What time period is the show based in?

Officer Strike

Guys this has been getting me confused. What time period is MLP in because this is confusing. They have cameras and yet they type with type writes which is like really old at least 1930s and 40s but then the royal guard Roman inspired helmets and armour. 

Their armour design is inspired by Romans and the Spartans and they hold spears. Yet they have cameras but they also have DJ's and music made by discs so that would be popular in the 1980s but then yet again we come back to square one when we see all of this castle and kingdom and its old fashioned.

So what do you think? I think that maybe the MLP times is set in 1930s mostly and the armour worn is the tradition and that is why they wear that armour or it could be a whole different period of age because it is a pony world.

post-34819-0-79481600-1440853910.jpg

post-34819-0-63072900-1440853971_thumb.png

post-34819-0-16588600-1440854032_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 3

Yeah, though the 1930 or that age seems to be the insipiration of the show since horse drawn carriages and all that so its around early 1900 I think though there have been helicopters and other stuff sometimes that maybe doesnt match that period but  mainly on early 1900 i think =)

• Brohoof 3

There have been a number of threads on this.   Time in EQ seems to be all over the place.  Poniville is late 19th/early 20th century (about time of Little House on the Prairie), but in Manehatten it is at least the 1950s & plausibly later.  Yet, the ponies don't seem to remember other times when they go to other time zones & it doesn't confuse them.

Some of this (like Guard armor & weapons) may be deliberately archaic.  (USA marine officers dress uniforms carry swords, for instance)

It may be a remnant of something Discord did his 1st reign.

• Brohoof 1

Considering Equestria isn't based in the human world in any way, shape or form and the existence of magic their timeline and resulting technology isn't going to end up the same as ours. Most of their technology exists as a form of convenience rather than being built as some true advancement.

I think the only reason their world even looks remotely like ours is a lack of creative drive. Alternatively you can transfer references and jokes from our world more easily into Equestria if it looks more like our world but that's likely not the main reason for it.

• Brohoof 2

It's really confusing. At one point it was medieval during season one anyway, then a little industrial revolution. If you are writing fan fiction you can simply ignore the technology inconsistencies. Yes, there's a lot of inconsistencies.

I think it's sometime during the 19th century with some modern things. But then again the ponies don't seem to have guns nor computers, yet they appear to have cinemas.   

Though, I can safely say in turns of technology humanity vastly surpasses them.  

Edited by Bendy

Equestria's tecnological advancements are inconsistent. As stated, there seems to be a convination of stuff dating under the 19 century, to more modern achivements luke Vinyl's dubstep music, cameras, arcade games, and even Manehattan has buildings that can't be under the 70s. I would estimate the show's period is maybe the 90s or early 2000s. though, Doc Hooves claimed that Equestria's advancement in magic, has hindered their technological progress, making it possible they might be even in the same time period as us, but with less technological advancements 

• Brohoof 1

Probably scince its a whole different universe, their society evolved in a different way than ours because they value different things. mabey they dont have engines because its unecessary so it never developed. mabey magic obsoleted computers before they were ever thought of. it could be years into the future and they just didnt invent things they didnt need or want.

• Brohoof 1

It's a very conflicting thought. We've seen the ponies use old styled cameras and typewriters as the normal way of communication, yet we see relatively modern things, such as turntables and thumping club music. As for EQG, however, it's not hard to imagine.

Yeah, though the 1930 or that age seems to be the insipiration of the show since horse drawn carriages and all that so its around early 1900 I think though there have been helicopters and other stuff sometimes that maybe doesnt match that period but  mainly on early 1900 i think =)

I've been sitting here trying to think of something that relates to this century forever ahahah...but I guess you're right ooBrony ^

• Brohoof 1

They just add in different technology of different eras whenever the writers feel like it. Some of the most advanced pieces of technology was gaming arcades (which would have come around during 1970s) and a helicopter.

I do like how Final Fantasy makes their technology look like it can't be from any era in human history but at the same time still relatable and have their intended uses.

Edited by cider float

As a lot of other people have already pointed out, this is a fantasy world, not connected to ours at all.

Therefore this question doesn't make much sense.

If we really want to go there though, the only reasonable explanation is that this is in the far far future, where magic appeared and relics from old human civilization is being used.

I believe the pony world runs concurrent with our own but are obviously not as technologically developed as us... mainly because they dont really need to be since they live in a romanticized world and society. Theyre probably at the start of their own industrial revelution.

From an analytical perspective:

In many ways, the pony world seems a lot like the 1930's. Horse drawn carriages, hand grown crops, etc. However, a much darker reason exists for my reasoning- racism. Mules and Donkeys get a lot of pony hate. Sure, it may not be Great Depression America racism but it's still there- and we see it quite often in the show. One problem with this idea is the country's connections with Saddle Arabia, so I think we may be more likely to be pushing into the 21st Century, as we see subwoofers and plenty of video games hanging around.

From a realistic perspective;
It doesn't have a realistic date as it isnt our world. It would appear things are measured in "Moons" which could mean Days or Months (Which places 30 moons between once a month and 2 and a half years, but it's probably the latter because pinkie says "Or you'll be stuck here for a really really long time") so we cannot say when MLP takes place.