Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What time period is the show based in?

Officer Strike

I think their time is somewhat equivalent to ours. I like to think that they're just
not as addicted to technology because they have magic (at least unicorns). They also have electricity, and things such as speakers, giant video screens, and metal detectors.

post-24370-0-87428300-1399155437_thumb.jpg

post-24370-0-44540100-1399155228_thumb.jpg

Also, consider the flashbacks from when Granny Smith was young compared to current Equestria.

Now as for the carriages they ride in- Lauren Faust thought it would be just stupid if they drove cars.
Edited by Cirrus.

There is no set in stone timeline for the order of things to be invented on other worlds. Aside from that. There's a big difference between not feeling a need for a technological device, and not knowing what it is or how to manufacture it. Different communities in Equestria seek out the level of advancement they're most comfortable with. If you're going to use cameras and typewriters as a timeline, keep this in mind about our own technological development. The first photograph, or more specifically, the earliest known surviving photograph made in a camera, was taken by Joseph Nicéphore Niépce in 1826 or 1827. The first commercial typewriter, the Remington No. 1, was manufactured in 1873. Yes, the camera was invented 46 years BEFORE the typewriter.

As I said though, there is no correlation between Earth and Equestria's rate of technological advancement. The ponies know about steam engines and the like, but have little or no need for personal transportation. Just because they don't have automobiles doesn't mean they're more primitive.  On the other hand, the electronics we know they have could be full of vacuum tubes. Electronics may be advancing so slowly, because an electronic device is a poor substitute for a magically controlled/powered device.

Take Flim and Flam. Their Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 is steam powered for locomotion, but magically powered for cider making. The quality control unit is also magically powered. All of this has been seen. I suspect that Vinyl's mix board is magically powered as well. There's no hit of a power cord running to a wall socket.